• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird of Prey / Falcon in Central Spain (1 Viewer)

madbird

Madbird
Spain
Hello, I saw this yesterday in Central Spain in an area well know for Merlin. It is the only photo I have and it is poor so I don't expect a positive ID but any thoughts and comments would be appreciated. Thx in advance.

Attachments

• Merlin.JPEG
    Merlin.JPEG
    401.4 KB · Views: 133
the pole gives a good idea of its size. Merlin would appear much, much smaller than this
...if you've got intimate knowledge of and experience with central-Spanish pylons. It's the structure of the bird, and particularly the proportions, that are the clue - not the size per se at all.

...if you've got intimate knowledge of and experience with central-Spanish pylons. It's the structure of the bird, and particularly the proportions, that are the clue - not the size per se at all.
I find this to be unnecessary. I agree proportions are helpful but so is size. My response was aimed at helping the op.

(Perhaps you've come across some super-dinky Spanish pylons: my comment should make sense to everyone else, whether or not they've first hand experience of the Iberian power grid)

I find this to be unnecessary. I agree proportions are helpful but so is size. My response was aimed at helping the op.

(Perhaps you've come across some super-dinky Spanish pylons: my comment should make sense to everyone else, whether or not they've first hand experience of the Iberian power grid)
Fair point. The comparative size of the bird and pylon do rule out Merlin, as the pylon would have to be way way smaller any pylon I've seen anywhere!

Demonstrably, it fooled someone! - who was even there in person ...which I think rests my case 😉
actually #7 makes my point: proper consideration of size would have eliminated merlin but wasn't considered. So size is valuable; your comment was unhelpful.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back