• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BIGBY Birding 2008 (1 Viewer)

deborah4

BIGBY Birding

BIGBY as in it's a BIG GREEN BIG YEAR for birders who care about the environment (and also a half decent year list!). Initiated by Richard Gregson, a birder from Quebec, and gathering like-minded birders from all over the Globe for a year's GREEN BIRDING. It's fun, it's a challenge but most importantly, it sends out a message - leave the car at home! Well, I don't have a car, so no bad habits to change here, but the real challenge for me, the second UK birder to sign up, is to run up a not so bad year list purely by walking, cycling or public transport when my nearest decent birding patch is nearly a 4hr round trip! Also, any foreign holidays will have to involve trains, buses and hitching - no planes, no ferries - for a year!

So now to p*ss everyone off ;) - This thread of course is not for the fair weather and light-hearted birders who don't go out in the wind and rain, to come home in the dark soaking wet, or for those who jump into their cars to bomb off to their local patches all over the County at every opportunity ... Nor is it indeed, for those, gas guzzling twitchers, who for the sake of a 'good' list .... yada yada yada

However, it is slightly tongue in cheek - cos everyone knows you need pagers, cars, leica scopes etc etc to be a good birder and if you don't get a year list of over 300 you're rubbish of course ;). I'm also not a complete muppet, so won't refuse the offer of a lift anywhere if one's forthcoming, I just won't be able to count any birds seen on that occasion on my GREEN LIST. Anyway, the rules and how to sign up are here: http://www.sparroworks.ca/bb/

Monday January 7, 2008

With the days of my week's annual leave dwindling past all too quickly, a late start (having to return to pick up my binos from the kitchen table) got me to Pagham Harbour, just in time for torrential rain about midday. The VC was closed, but after a quick coffee in the ladies loo, I hoofed on down to the Small Ferry Pool with a brief nod and howdy to a few people sitting in their cars in the carpark. Large flock of Brent on the pool, one dead Shelduck and plenty of live ones. Wind's howling but through the water streaked windows of the hide, lots of Wigeon, a few Shoveller, Teal, Curlew, Lapwing in yonder field and a c.Buzzard. Everything else either not there or knuckled down out of sight.

Rain's stopped finally, so braving ridiculously high winds, head on towards Church Norton. zillions of Dunlin of the flats, Grey Plover, some flyover Black Tailed Godwit, Grey Partridge, RL Partridge, a lonesome Greenshank, an even more lonesome Little Egret - passerines now blown halfway to Kent presumably - none around. Lots more Teal, Wigeon taking winter refuge (refuge!?), Redshank and a few Bar Tailed Godwit as I approach C.Norton. Nice rainbow.

Long-tailed Tit, fourth Kestrel of the day and a Little Grebe in the channel with another zillion Dunlin and almost as many Grey Plover. Light's bad. Wind is worse. Just reach the Hide, a Green Woodpecker shoots up from the field behind the Church and a flock of Goldfinch add splash of colour to a leaden sky. Skeins of Brent up every 10 minutes, along with the just as jittery Lapwing. Oyster Catcher, Ringed Plover and an almost piebald juvey Cormorant amongst the black hags lined up on on far sandbank - one Grey Heron with an identity crisis, hunched down in the midst of them. Tide's right out and without a decent scope, picking up anything with confidence that's smaller than an elephant is a no no really.

Head to beach. Met by fantastic gusts of wind, hundreds of BHG with half a dozen Mediterraneans amoungst them. Turnstone turning stones, a solitary Gannet diving out at sea, with a 1w just sort of flying around. One pair of Slav Grebes, with neat black caps being the nearest off-shore visibles. Hard to stand up straight. Hard to hang on to binos - head along the Severals - for about a mile - light's fading fast. A distant gunpowder blast or something or other, sends up hundreds of corvids, woodpigeon, wigeon and a Buzzard - large number of Brent honking in the distance. It's nearly dark - and started to rain again. G*d this is miserable! Head back to C.Norton Hide for shelter. On the way a female Stonechat risks popping it's head out of a small clump of gorse. I'm wearing wellies (because my walking boots have had open heart surgery and leak like a sieve). It's muddy, and very slippery .... the rest is history. A very nasty man standing by a landrover in the middle of a field making his darndest sure to prevent 500+ Brent from pulling up his poor little ole grass by aiming gunpowder powered flares up into the skeins every time they fly over...Words don't describe what I'm feeling right this minute.

Finally get back to bus stop - bus arrives but doesn't stop. I jump out into road waving my arms. Driver pulls up 30 yards ahead - gives me a mouthful for being 'invisible' - I want to tell him I've been birding and that's the story of the day - but don't. Doesn't look the sort who'd understand. Two hours to get home - muddy and wet, over 60 species to start off the GREEN LIST but nothing of much note (except a bl*ody nice rainbow).

Attachments

• ferry pool hide.JPG
    ferry pool hide.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 177
  • pagham.JPG
    pagham.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 144
  • rainbow.JPG
    rainbow.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 171
  • rainbow2.JPG
    rainbow2.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 154
Med. gulls (plural!), Slav. grebes (ditto), Green woody, to name but three is not not much to note, Deborah. Not half a bad day there. And well done on the braving the rain on your Green day.
On the green issue, no car thing...I remember when a good proportion of us early twitchers used to hitch-hike everywhere. Many's the time I did either Cheshire or Sheffield to Cornwall, Norfolk, Suffolk, Scotland, Ireland, etc, etc. without recourse to anything more than a thumb.
OK, we used to take a lot longer to get there - but we didn't dip very often, considering. Often started out the evening before to get somewhere the next day.
I remember passing a roundabout in the cab of a lorry once, looking down at another birder lying in the grass with his thumb in the air! (I forget his name now.)
Hitching seems to have gone out of fashion these days. Once had a lift in a Maserati (spelling?) back to Sheffield - which was nice. Even after I got a car & couldn't afford the petrol (even shared!) I sometimes hitched.
I know it's not something the ladies consider very safe, however...

BIGBY Birding

This thread of course is not for the fair weather and light-hearted birders who don't go out in the wind and rain, to come home in the dark soaking wet

Thats me out then;)

Great new thread, Deborah!!, and I'm very pleased to see mention of the trains and buses!! ...It will save me having to walk (don't do cycles anymore;)) the 40 odd miles to Cley (still have yet to pass my driving test:'D)

Matt

Great idea for a new thread, D, think you should be able to include ferries though. And glad you're enjoying your week off.:t:

Matt: I like your new signature.

Joanne

Last edited:
Ferries can't be included! The principle idea is to try and get a reasonable good year list without stepping into a car (anyone's!), on a plane, or on a ferry - just to see if it's possible! I saw the post in the Members forum, inviting people to join in so I registered a couple of days ago. I think it's going to prove harder than I thought!

Halftwo - I used to hitch everywhere when I was in my teens - hitched all over Ireland and Scotland - still would (other parts of Europe too). But not in urbanised SE of England - too many wierdos live high occupation areas!

Day 2

Feeling rather achy from yesterday, headed out to Pulborough - another laborious trek with delays at Hove, a half hour wait at Ford for my connection to Pulborough - then half hour walk to the reserve. Arrived after mid-day, light began to go about 3.30pm. Needless to say, lots of sloshing around in muddy fields, rain and wind on the walk from Pulborough! A close call with a small herd of bullock nearly had me in a ditch on the way, but plenty of shouting and clapping while not invoking a retreat, at least resulted in a stand off, while I fished my wellie out of a 10 inch mud bog. Flock of flyover Redwing (more seen later going to roost) and one Fieldfare were the first addition to yesterday's list, along with several Snipe and some gloriously apparelled Pintails. Treecreeper was another addition, very obliging but not enough for a decent pic! Anyway, short and sweet, here's the dismal count so far for the green list:

71 species seen in two different locations over the past two days
7 hours of travelling via public transport
7 hours of birding when I got there
Over 8 miles walked
£25.00 spent on train and bus fares

Not sure whether I'm going to last the month of January with this, let alone the year, especially if this sh*te weather keeps up! And just realised how much my previous years' tallies relied on lifts/hitching at times, especially round Scotland, Ireland and New Forest/Ashdown Forest etc - can already anticipate some glaring gaps! - One more day left tomorrow before back to work, studying, washing, housework ....

Light was beautiful at the Reserve when the sun peeped out all too briefly

Attachments

• pulborough1.JPG
    pulborough1.JPG
    197.4 KB · Views: 165
  • pulborough2.JPG
    pulborough2.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 164
With you & the Green thing in mind, I made a note of how far I went in my car today: round trip c.8 miles. Not bad really? (about 1/3rd of gallon - c.£1.80)
Surely if the car in question is going your way anyway? No extra emissions. I don't know what it's like down your neck-of-the-woods, but around these parts the buses belch black smoke while carrying an average of one passenger. Not very green.
Weather's not showing any sign of getting better at the moment, but it is January after all.
ATB
H

...Anyway, short and sweet, here's the dismal count so far for the green list:

71 species seen in two different locations over the past two days

Thats a pretty darn good count in my book!!

You have to keep this going now, always best to have a mix of local patching with those special trips via buses and trains etc to fill up on ticks (not that I do ticks;)) to keep keen.

Best of luck with it!!

Matt

With you & the Green thing in mind, I made a note of how far I went in my car today: round trip c.8 miles. Not bad really? (about 1/3rd of gallon - c.£1.80)
Surely if the car in question is going your way anyway? No extra emissions. I don't know what it's like down your neck-of-the-woods, but around these parts the buses belch black smoke while carrying an average of one passenger. Not very green.

ATB
H

I'm sure you're right H. In fact it occurred to me today, that some buses go all round the houses to get from A-B whereas with a car you can go straight to your destination. However, often car birders will move from several different locations in just one day or take the car when there are trains/buses available and are far more likely to go out birding more often if it takes a quarter of the time to get anywhere and far less effort. Anyway, rules are rules for BIGBY! I think the idea is that they are trying to promote birding by walking or cycling and trying to show that it's possible to have a good birding year without any car, plane, ferry use (right?!!)- the public transport bit was put in after several birders complained that would make a decent year list very difficult for people that lived in a City if any motorised transport was prohibited and I'm beginning to see the light on that one. Also their aim was to encourage birders who could walk, cycle, train etc to their local patch, to focus on patch birding rather than a wider field. The real problem, especially in winter months, and when one is working, is the length of time it takes to get anywhere!

I guess if I end up with a totally sh*te green year list, it won't convince anyone to change their habits - sure would have a problem getting me out of a car to walk/train instead, if I had one, especially if it were a choice between 350 birds for the year or 150!:'D

IT'S JUST FOR A YEAR! ;)

Thats a pretty darn good count in my book!!

You have to keep this going now, always best to have a mix of local patching with those special trips via buses and trains etc to fill up on ticks (not that I do ticks;)) to keep keen.

Best of luck with it!!

Matt

Indeed Matt - one Glauc doesn't make a winter ;)

Anyway, rules are rules for BIGBY!

That's fair enough, but don't really see why ferries were excluded - even according to carbonite websites, there is little difference in CO2 emissions if going by train or ferry. But, as you say, if that's the rules, so be it.

My big green big year has got off to a thumping start ...only 8th January and I have made four flights already this year, plus one paddle boat, several motorbikes, four minibuses, three buses, a dozen or so hitch-hiked lifts and a few kilometres in my car! And about 110 km on foot. Oo er :-O

Last edited:
BIGBY Birding

Finally get back to bus stop - bus arrives but doesn't stop. I jump out into road waving my arms. Driver pulls up 30 yards ahead - gives me a mouthful for being 'invisible' - I want to tell him I've been birding and that's the story of the day - but don't. Doesn't look the sort who'd understand. Two hours to get home - muddy and wet, over 60 species to start off the GREEN LIST but nothing of much note (except a bl*ody nice rainbow).

Hi Deborah (ive just signed up for the Bigby too :t:)
Great account of your day out....
Love the photo through the bus window - very atmospheric !
i got caught out yesterday & found the pushchair doubled up nicely as a wind/rain break;)
think i'll keep plodding on under my own steam for time being
look forward to reading more
Steve

I signed up to BIGBY the other day as I do most of my birding by bike, or on my patch at work, which I bus to. I thought it would be a fun thing to join in.

I started on the 1st with a sponsored bird watch by bike - this can be found here Local patch birding

Back at work I've seen a few more species including a Woodcock on Monday a first for me on the patch.

Will be going out shortly:bounce:

Gi

Hi Deborah,

This is a great thread D. I am so glad you’ve been inspired to start a new 08 thread. I will be checking in regularly at least until March when we will once again be unplugged (no internet) as we make our way to the Canaries. I want to be there and ready to do the Atlantic crossing by next December. I would like to join this little competition because my transportation has been bike or foot for years. I don’t qualify though because we will have to use our 30 HP diesel engine at times when we leave Italy and head westward. The story of my life; I’m not even a square peg—trapezoid is more like it.

Sue
Edit: I love your avatar, you're giving Matt Green competition. I've always thought he should get the best avatars award.

Last edited:
That's fair enough, but don't really see why ferries were excluded

Could have done with one today after a swampy walk through woods - anyway, have in mind a pretty decent mig. location (provided the tide's out ;)) ... or perhaps I'll get SueO to sail me round these sunny shores (that's allowed)

Hi Deborah (ive just signed up for the Bigby too :t:)

Love the photo through the bus window - very atmospheric !

Steve

Good to see you on board Steve B :) (um ... it was the view through the hide window - it was full on smack in yer face squall so couldn't open it - darn thing leaked too)

Good on ya Gi - congrats on the Woodcock :t:

Day 3 of Grumpy Green Birding

Last day before back to work - Well it gets harder to add to a list the longer it gets of course but still loads more common birds still to go before any level of respectability: So another late start (well I am on holiday) left home at 9.40am after disinfecting the bird table from the pigeons‘ morning foray. (Watch and learn Matt;)) Train from Hove gets into Brighton a few minutes later but nearly 25mins to wait for my next train to Seaford. It's now 10.15 and I'm on the move ... (please note car drivers, you could have been in Seaford by now if you left my house at the same time as me) Walked down to Splash Point where an appallingly bad sea watch at high tide got me half soaked by a freak wave, stack loads of gulls I’ve already got listed, one Rock Pipit (to add), and small flocks of passing scoters about 2 miles out in rough seas but too far to ID to rule out any velvets (so can’t realistically count any of them). Gave up after 20 minutes and took a very windy and rather slow cliff walk over the top to Cuckmere Valley. Too busy hanging on to the barbed wire fence to look down at sea (don’t do heights ... I mean I really don’t as everyone who has birded with me will testify, especially when it‘s so windy!). Usual stuff up top but no new species.

Sun’s out though and slightly more sheltered from the wind as I headed down into the Valley. Lots of dog walkers and people on beach, also water very high in estuary so gave the river a miss and started to walk up through farmland towards Golden Galleon. Turned back just in time to spot an immature Peregrine make a half-hearted swoop up a few metres at a passing passerine before plumping itself down again out of sight behind some scrub. Bit further up, was watching fields towards river and a Kingfisher bizarrely appeared in a vertical hover from a ditch for about 2 seconds and dropped straight down again. Another addition to the list. Starts to drizzle and light isn’t too good (it’s about 2.30 by the time I’ve walked up the valley to the Visitor’s Centre at the entrance to Friston Forest. A pretty impressive flock of GBBG (c.150) sent up by a clumsy landing by a Canada Goose. Just about time for a quick forage into the Forest gives me Nuthatch, a roving flock of Siskin in the canopies, Goldcrest all bumping up the tally a little, along with other birds seen, including a couple of GS Woodies, but it starts to tip down after half an hour and suddenly gets very dark so call it a day. Didn’t have to wait long for a bus back to Seaford rail station. 20 minutes til the next train to Brighton then 10 minutes for connection to Hove - not too bad as things go.

So it was a struggle to add to what I’d seen past two days but tallies now as follows: (and that’s it I expect for a while unless I can find anything glamorous on Hove Beach in the next week or so!)

81 species seen in three different locations (Church Norton, Pulborough and Cuckmere Valley) over the past three days (2 of them in awfully high winds and rain) (car birders please note, you can do this in one day and leave earlier to bump up your total as well as making flying visits to a few known twitchables in the area and keep dry - have I convinced you yet!)
10 hours of traveling via public transport
Almost 10 hours of birding when I got there
Over 11 miles walked
£33.50 spent on train and bus fares (the price I got up to Aberdeen last year on a sleeper train)

And GREEN list to date:

PASSERINES
Blackbird
Goldfinch
Song thrush
Robin
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long T Tit
Coal Tit
Chaffinch
Greenfinch
Dunnock
Wren
Stonechat
Meadow Pipit
Rock Pipit
Linnet
Grey Wagtail
Pied Wagtail
Starling
Yellow Hammer
Treecreeper
Redwing
Fieldfare
Siskin
Goldcrest
Nuthatch (heard)
Hse Sparrow
Bullfinch

RAPTORS

Buzzard
Kestrel
Peregrine

GEESE

Canada
Brent

GULLS

GBBG
LBBG
Mediterranean
BHG
Common Gull

WADERS/sea birds

Oyster Catcher
Dunlin
Redshank
Greenshank
Turnstone
Ringed Plover
Curlew
G.Heron
Cormorant
Grey Plover
L.Egret
L.Grebe
Slavonian Grebe
Gannet
Sanderling
Bar T Godwit
Black T Godwit
Mute Swan
Moorhen
Coot
Lapwing
Snipe
Spotted Redshank
Whimbrel

WOODPECKERS

Green Woodpecker
GS Woodpecker

CORVIDS/PIGEONS

Magpie
Jay
Carrion Crow
Feral Pigeon/stock dove
Collared Dove
Grey Partridge
RL Partridge
Pheasant
Wood Pigeon
Jackdaw
Rook

DUCKS

Teal
Wigeon
Shelduck
Mallard
Shoveller
Pintail

Attachments

• a bleak walk.JPG
    a bleak walk.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
All those buses?. Pah this isn't a proper BIGBY (winky smiley thing).

I'm going to have a stab at a bike/hoof only BIGBY this year in a dual attempt to do more local birding and scale down Big Phil at the same time.

Apparently I'm the only BIGBYist in Scotland so far. Anyone else fancy joining up for some local rivalry?.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back