• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Today at the feeder (1 Viewer)

I've just got a thistle sock and three bird baths in my tiny backyard, but I've had some interesting birds around lately:

Lesser Goldfinch
American Goldfinch
House Finch
Song Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Golden-crowned Sparrow
Lincoln's Sparrow
Townsend's Warbler (at bath)
Black-throated Gray Warbler (at bath)

I'll hopefully add a suet basket and/or some black oilers to increase diversity soon...

Neil G.

Very nice list for one feeder. The baths really are a great bird attractor. Mine is frozen this morning so i guess it's time to break out the heater.

A flock of 8 Evening Grosbeaks were at the feeders this morning until they were crowded out by the Blue Jays. I wish that birds would learn to share!:-C

today after having filled the feeders there were as follows
30+house sparrows
20+starlings
3 dunnocks
2 bluetits
2 coal tits
1 greatit
6+blackbirds
5 collared doves
and lastly a little robin.
all in all a busy time at the feeders:t::t:

today after having filled the feeders there were as follows
30+house sparrows
20+starlings
3 dunnocks
2 bluetits
2 coal tits
1 greatit
6+blackbirds
5 collared doves
and lastly a little robin.
all in all a busy time at the feeders:t::t:

Hi John

A nice list here. :t:

Busy time for you to feed them too. :t:

Regards
Kathy

Started feeding against during last week after a break during the autumn migration. In Sweden they recommend not feeding birds a break in oder not to encourage biurds to stay that would otherwise migrate. No idea whether there's any truth in the idea but decided to err on the side of caution.
The first Hawfinch was back on a feeder this morning. Hurrah!

Started feeding against during last week after a break during the autumn migration. In Sweden they recommend not feeding birds a break in oder not to encourage biurds to stay that would otherwise migrate. No idea whether there's any truth in the idea but decided to err on the side of caution.
The first Hawfinch was back on a feeder this morning. Hurrah!
My understanding is that it is light levels not food supply that triggers migration but it can't hurt to err on the cautious side.
A lone common Grackle is among our feeder visitors today.

Hi there

I've just started feeding the birds in my garden, putting up feeders about 3 weeks ago. initially i had house sparrows all the time then last week and beginning of this week nothing. Today however i had 3 species of tit, chaffinch, house sparrows, blackbirds, a dunnock, robin, woodpigeon and best of all a goldcrest. As i live in a busy street i am delighted. I think also it may be due to the fact that i put up a bird bath yesterday. Really looking forward to tomorrow now.

Best wishes
charlie

Water is always a help in attracting birds. Have you see them drinking or bathing? Regardless it sounds like your feeders are active and I think you will have a great time watching your feathered visitors.

Haven't seen them drinking or bathing yet,but another excellent day, all of the above again but this time two dunnocks and two goldcrests, 5 woodpigeons, numerous starlings and the birds fed virtually all day whereas before it had just been morning and mid afternoon.

Fronts have came through here today, snow and cold weather today (59 degrees). I have all House Finches and Red birds, I dont know where my Blue Jays are.:-C|:(|

My feeders are busy but there isn't much variety of species.
Blue Jays -16 -20
House Sparrows - 12
Song Sparrow -2
DE Juncos - 20
Common Grackle - 1
BC Chickadees
Hairy Woodpecker - 2
Downy Woodpecker - 2
Red-breasted Nuthatch - 2
American Goldfinches
Mourning Doves
Yesterday 8 Brown-headed Cowbirds showed up but soon moved on and last week 16 Evening Grosbeaks arrived but stayed only about 24 hours. We also have had brief visits from Pine Siskins and Purple Finches, but again they only passed through.
A flock of Cedar Waxwings were feeding in the fruit bushes yesterday and there are A. Robins around. Not feeder birds but nice to see.
The Sharp-shinned Hawk shows up regularly although I haven't seen any sign of him catching anything.

Last edited:
So far today, I've seen the usual visitors
house sparrows
house finches
tufted titmouse
cardinals
pine warbler
mocking bird...(doesn't eat from the feeder, just visits the bath)
morning doves
pigeons
grackles
downy woodpecker
brown-headed cowbirds
and of course, lots of crows hanging in the area but they don't usually come into the garden

Feeder Birds, Saint Joseph, Missouri

I have not had any bird feeder out in our backyard for nearly a year. But, with the expected winter finch invasion from northern areas (especially, Canada) I set out my feeders and filled them with shelled peanuts, Black Oil Sunflower Seed, Nyger Seed and suet.

We are averaging about twelve (12) species of birds per day now in our yard.

Today the birds in our yard included European Starling, Carolina Wren, Red-breasted and White-breasted Nuthatches, Downy Woodpecker, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Northern Flicker, Dark-eyed Junco, Common Grackle, American Crow, Northern Cardinal, American Goldfinch and House Sparrow.

I am hoping sometime this winter to get some of the following birds to venture into our yard: Evening Grosbeak, Pine Grosbeak, Purple Finch, any redpoll or crossbill and just maybe, a nemesis bird for me, Bohemian Waxwing.

A strong showing here as well, but only 12 species.

mourning dove 11
downy 1
hairy 1
blue jay 4
bc chickadee 4
wb nuthatch 2
de junco 4
northern cardinal 1
house finch 11
common redpol 1 (just one for the past three weeks)
american goldfinch 40 (largest group so far this year)

and when I looked out mid-afternoon, there was only one bird perched on the roof of the feeder. It was an adult sharp-shinned hawk (it missed lunch though and soon flew off).

Another yard bird about mid-morning, but not actually a feeder bird was a great-horned owl being mobbed by crows. It stopped in the large black cherry for a while and then flew off with about three crows and a blue jay in pursuit.

Scott

Last edited:
After a few quiet weeks my feeders have really been picking up with two garden firsts yesterday, goldcrest and great spotted woodpecker. Here it goes,
Sunday

Starling- 15
Great Tit- 5
Blue Tit- 4
Coal Tit- 2
Long Tailed Tits - 8 ( bumping into the fat feeders in a confused manner)
Chaffinch (f) - 1
Green Finch - 1
Blackbird - 2
Dunnock - 6
Collared Dove - 3
Wood Pigeon - 4
Wren - 1
Goldcrest - 1 very briefly
Great Spotted Wood Pecker -1

Not bad going for urban Leicester!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back