• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa del Sol/Malaga (1 Viewer)

Derek Polley

Vacation trip report for Costa del Sol/Malaga from 5 – 11th October 2008

This was mainly a holiday with a bit of birding thrown in. Two friends of ours received a free holiday for attending a presentation run by Club La Costa. We were flown to Malaga and had accommodation in the Club La Costa complex on the Southern edge of Fuengirola. Obviously October is not an ideal time to visit the area for birds but as flights and accommodation were free who was I to complain? Having been there I now know a bit about the area and the sites so could plan a visit at a time of year which would give more birds. We missed out on summer visitors as they were all away and the time of year meant that a lot of the resident smaller birds were keeping their heads down and not being very obvious. The mantra for the trip seemed to be, “This would be a cracking site in April or May”.

Having researched Bird Forum reports for likely sites we planned several trips into the surrounding area as well as visiting the Reserve at the mouth of the Rio Guadalhorce.

The area in and around the coast was not terribly productive for obvious reasons. It is heavily built up with a lot of human disturbance. The best birds are inland but we did pick up a fair bit round the complex and in the park/river area round the Castle in Fuengirola – Coot, moorhen, House sparrow, collared dove, spotless starling, blackbird, robin, white wagtail, chiffchaff, goldfinch and greenfinch. With a sea view and a travel scope I was able to see yellow legged gull, lesser black back, sandwich tern, black headed gull and Mediterranean shearwater off shore.

We travelled inland to Ronda with high hopes of some good birds and were not disappointed as we picked up kestrel, crag martin and seven soaring griffon vultures on the way up. A black wheatear flew across the road in front of the car and we also saw one Bonelli’s eagle on the run down into Ronda. Ronda itself gave good views of chough, grey wagtail, raven, blackcap and great tit. The latter two feeding on the fruit of prickly pear cactus in the gorge. On leaving Ronda we headed towards the El Chorro gorge where three dams have been built across the Guadalhorce and two of its tributaries. Water levels were very low but we did see stonechat, corn bunting, three more griffon vultures and very high feeding swifts. A Buzzard was also noted en route. On the way back to Malaga we stumbled upon a small town called Alora which had incredibly narrow streets and presented quite a challenge to our driver. Ignoring a sign for Malaga which seemed to point into a cellar we ended up at the castle and spotted a hoopoe on the castle roof. The road down from the castle proved a major challenge with literally an inch on each side of the car. A 4 x 4 would not have made it! The sign for Malaga was tried again and did indeed get us out of the town via a step narrow alley and further shredded nerves. We were convinced we were going to end up at a set of steps and would have to do an Italian job to get out. If you visit Arora, park at the entrance and walk round it.

Following our 4 hour presentation – a contract requirement for the holiday – we decided to try the road to the Refuge de Januar. We had high hopes of this area but a two hour walk from 5.00 to 7.00 at the end of a warm sunny day produced nothing at al! Zero, zilch, nil, not a dickey bird as they say. It is a long time since I have walked for two hours anywhere and not seen one bird. The views were stunning, the walk was enjoyable but in our trip summary the area went down as a bird free zone!

Following advice given in Bird Forum we spent half a day North of Marbella around the Embalse de Conception, Hermitage of San Miguel and the village of Istan. Unfortunately this was the wet afternoon and birds were hard to locate and hard to see. Not quite the bird free zone of the Refuge but we only added Jay and House martin to our list. The house martins were hunting over Istan with crag martins.

A further day trip was North of Malaga to the area round Antequera and Fuente de Piedra. We visited the reserve there - Laguna De Fuenta Piedra - but water levels were disappointingly low. The “lake” was non-existent and the 3- 400 greater flamingos were quite some way off in the one area of water near an inflow. The pond areas near the Information Centre only had a few coot, mallard, shoveler and black winged stilt. There were over 200 lesser black backs and four lapwing and that was that. We did see two swallows passing through and a couple of stonechat before we moved on to the El Torcal karst limestone region. Like the Refuge we had high hopes of this area, but apart from kestrel and three griffon vultures the only new bird was black redstart. Mind you we got excellent close views of these attractive little birds.

As you no doubt have realised I have kept the best trip to the end. Everyone who has reported on the Malaga area has said that a trip to the Reserve on the Rio Guadalhorce is a must, and all we can do is echo that. We arrived at 4.00 on a warm sunny day thanks to the excellent directions and Google map supplied by Alan Seaton. As well as some of the birds we picked up elsewhere we also had superb views of hunting marsh harriers, a flock of monk parakeets, little grebe, black necked grebe, cormorant, grey heron, little egret, two Greater flamingo and 14 glossy ibis. These were a life first for all concerned and not only were they roosting on the pond; they also gave us a fly past when they were disturbed by a marsh harrier. Ducks included mallard, shoveler, pochard and teal while the wader list was both extensive and impressive – black winged stilt, Kentish plover, sanderling, turnstone, green sandpiper, common sandpiper, and greenshank. A flock of 20 serin and two crested larks gave good views but the icing on the cake was an osprey which did everything an osprey should do and finished up perched on a post in the middle of the reserve.

A grand total of 59 species and four lifers – black wheatear, monk parakeet, glossy ibis, and Bonelli’s eagle – was a good return for the week. We also had excellent views of species we would not see regularly in the UK and all in all would say to anyone looking for a bit of winter sun and a few birds you could do worse than visit this area. Yes it is built up, yes it has a reputation, yes there are wall to wall people along the coast but the Guadalhorce Estuary Reserve on its own is worth a visit and it is so close to Malaga Airport that you cannot miss it out. If you are flying in or out of Malaga it is worth scheduling in a three hour slot to go there. Either call in as you leave the airport, or arrive three hours early for your departure – you will not be disappointed.

Attachments

• Black winged stilt1.JPG
    Black winged stilt1.JPG
    274.6 KB · Views: 104
  • Black winged stilt 2.JPG
    Black winged stilt 2.JPG
    225.1 KB · Views: 118
  • Black winged stilt 3.JPG
    Black winged stilt 3.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 109
  • Black redstart.JPG
    Black redstart.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 132
  • Osprey.JPG
    Osprey.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 127
Sounds as if you had a good trip.

Fuente de Piedra is suffering. When I was there at the end of February it was almost dry then and the flamingo colony failed to breed there this season for the first time in years. They've had severe rainstorms in Spain over the past few days and I read that they are expected to continue over the weekend, so hopefully they will help break the drought in Malaga province.

The Guadalhorce reserve's a great place. They've added a few hides recently that are well placed to look over the reserve, but unfortunately they've also built a bridge into it near the road bridge. This means that at weekends at least the place is a honeypot for parties of local cyclists who ride the paths and stop off in the hides for some shade and a chat.

I'm surprised you didn't report white-headed duck from the reserve. I saw this one three weeks ago on the main pool and there were others on the pools to the north west of that.

One surprise was the liitle chap in the second photo that walked across the path in front of me. Until I saw him I didn't even realise they were present on the reserve.

Attachments

• W H Duck 01 copy.jpg
    W H Duck 01 copy.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 132
  • Chameleon 02 small copy.jpg
    Chameleon 02 small copy.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
I was hoping for white headed duck but just did not pick them up. We did two of the hides coming from the beach end, but the third hide seemed to be across a ditch/lake with no obvious access from our direction and we didnt have time to work round to it from the west end of the reserve near the motorway. Still no idea how to get in from that end, although if the cyclists can do it, it cant be too hard to find.

There's no need to go anywhere near the motorway bridge, but I agree the layout is a bit confusing on the ground around there. The third hide turns out to be only a short walk from the second.

As you walk from the beach you come to the main lake where there is a hide built on a mound (that's where I took the WHD photo above, but that was the only WHD present that day). Walking further on you turn right, then left to come to a hide (photo below)which faces towards the motorway, overlooking a pool which is usually better for WHD (3 or 4 when I was there). I'm assuming that these are the two hides you visited. You can see the third hide from here, as you say, across another pool.

Last year the path was simpler, you could just walk across the low ground next to the pool, but since they've "civilised" it and put up "keep off" signs you can't do this now. To get to it you just double back a few yards and a path goes off towards the motorway bridge. After a short distance you can turn right (turning left takes you to the new footbridge), skirting around the back of the pool you've just been looking at, and on to the embankment that runs the full length of the reserve on the Malaga city side.

This embankment has two hides one of which you've already seen and another a bit further on. These hides overlook pools that are good for waders as well as ducks. (Views from the hides below). At the end of the embankment there is a concrete observation hide - open-topped - that looks out to sea for shearwaters passing and hundreds of gulls loafing.

Attachments

• 001 One of the new hides at Guadalhorce Reserve, 14 Sept copy.jpg
    001 One of the new hides at Guadalhorce Reserve, 14 Sept copy.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 127
  • 012 Guadalhorce Reserve 14 Sept copy.jpg
    012 Guadalhorce Reserve 14 Sept copy.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 132
  • 016 Guadalhorce Reserve, 14 Sept copy.jpg
    016 Guadalhorce Reserve, 14 Sept copy.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 119
I've been to this reserve many times, and almost always see White-headed Duck, The sea offshore is also good with Black-necked Grebe in numbers in the winter. It also holds escapes: Weavers and Bishops seem to breed here. There is a route right around the reserve on embankments giving great views over the ponds, reedbeds and scrub areas.

Pretty gobsmacked by Wobbler's picture of a chameleon, I've been trying to find a site for these for 5 years!

Will look in when next here.

Re Fuente de Piedra: certainly low water levels due to drought, in the last few years, apparently the water levels have been supplemented by extra being pumped in to help the Flamingos breeding. However, the cycle of drought/high water has always been like this - I went there in 1992 and only saw 12 Flamingos - no water to speak of.

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back