• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BIGBY birding 2009 (1 Viewer)

GiG

United Nations
I just updated the 2008 thread and as I've been keeping a 2009 BIGBY list thought I would start a new thread with updates throughout the year.

On January 1st I took part in the annual SOG sponsored birdwatch, covering about 25 miles by bike and recording 87 species - a bit less than last year. First raptor was a Peregrine again - wouldn't of imagined that a few years ago! Other highlights included Corn Bunting and Slavonian Grebe and the Tawny Owl in Christchurch Park, Ipswich that allowed me not to get up too early!.

Back at work and on my patch a few more additions including over-wintering Little Stint and Curlew Sandpiper. A ringtail Hen Harrier was a patch tick and a BIGBY one that I did not get last year. Total for the year so far is at 99.

Gi

I was going to sign up for this this year. However, going to the link at the beginning of the 2008 thread not sure if it's still going??

Anyway, will take part here whether it is or not ;) . Despite having a car, which means I end up using it. There is some public transport locally, and do have a bicycle which really needs sorting out . . so we'll see how it goes . . .

I was going to sign up for this this year. However, going to the link at the beginning of the 2008 thread not sure if it's still going??

Anyway, will take part here whether it is or not ;) . Despite having a car, which means I end up using it. There is some public transport locally, and do have a bicycle which really needs sorting out . . so we'll see how it goes . . .

The site may be down for upgrading to 2009, my direct links don't work either at the moment.

Good luck Dan - my Bigby year ended rather abruptly in November but didn't end up with too lower list ;)

So will you be keeping a list this year Deborah??

I'll be 'extracting' my greener records from my whole year list, rather than just doing it exclusively . . . (keeping my whole yearlist in the lists section on here).

My local patch just isn't good enough to reach a good total easily (99 might be the year target lol!!!). But I can get to Barnes WWT by train as easily as by car (but more expensively), and if I'd got the bus to Dartford the other day, the 60 species I saw could all have gone on the green list!!!

And will I be able to count any birds I see in France?? ;)

No probably not since I'll be doing a few stints abroad this year ... combination of working and not having a car makes it difficult to stick to Bigby 'rules' and I'm desparately in need of a proper holiday, not having had one for over two years! I'll keep a local patch list if I can be bothered, but this year will probably just carry on with my usual 'life' list (which includes everywhere and anyhow!). Still won't be twitching anything unless I'm dragged there by the driver of a car I happen to be in ;) My main UK birding will be scanning common species and improving on my existing field craft, ID skills etc etc in the hope a few more self finds in the form of scarce/rare will turn up this year - so lists will be largely inconsequential!!

As I walked To the bus

Was lax last year recording my Bigby list ,will try better this year!
So far walking around my area,
1.House Sparrow
2.European Starling
3.Merlin
4.White-throated Sparrow
5.American Crow
6.Black-backed Chickadee

And my public transportation Bigby also can add,

7.White-breasted Nuthatch
8.Downy Woodpecker
9.Hairy Woodpecker
10.Rock Dove

Darrell

Good start Darrell!

Ok Dan, my target was 25 for 2009 which was exceeded most convincely on Jan 2nd - I'm done now, so let's see if you can beat it ;)

My BIGBY list is at 111 species since the only new birds Ive got have been by way of the Victoria public bus transportation which can take me to 95 peercent of the birding spots in my area.

Awww, go on!

Set yourself a reasonable target like 23 or something for the year. . . Then it'll make my efforts look so much better, as I won't be bottom of the table . . . ;)

Hey Dan,

Thanks for steering me towards this thread. Fellow Bigbyers at last. I am doing OK so far considering I can't get anywhere much apart from on foot with all the terrible weather we've been having here in Connecticut and the Train Station is probably a bicycle ride away in subzero temps!

So far I have 38 species. I am keeping a record on my blog. Highlights thus far include Barred Owl, Black Vulture (uncommon for the state and a little flock of Common Redpolls which have been much less than common this year in the state: http://underclearskies.wordpress.com/2009/01/21/bigby-surprise-common-redpolls/

Continued good luck to everyone. Maybe this weekend will call for a train ride to the coast and a wealth of new species.

Luke

Hello from central Ontario. This will be our second BIGBY year. Last year, we found about 120 species during our local forays on foot , skis, bike and in our canoe. I keep track of our bigby numbers here.

So far our BIGBY list, 18 species so far, is based mostly on sightings from our backyard feeders.

Black-capped Chickadee (01.01)
Hairy Woodpecker (01.01)
Downy Woodpecker (01.01)
American Goldfinch (01.01)
Blue Jay (02.01)
Wild Turkey (02.01)
European Starling (02.01)
Common Raven (02.01)
American Crow (02.01)
Red-bellied Woodpecker (02.01)
American Tree Sparrow (02.01)
White-breasted Nuthatch (02.01)
Red-breasted Nuthatch (03.01)
Mourning Dove (04.01)
Ruffed Grouse (04.01)
Common Redpoll (05.01)
Pine Siskin (08.01)
Evening Grosbeak (14.01)
_________
Good birding to all.

Michael

Hello from central Ontario. This will be our second BIGBY year. Last year, we found about 120 species during our local forays on foot , skis, bike and in our canoe. I keep track of our bigby numbers here.
l

Hi Michael, you certainly have some quality birds in that list already. I'd give my right arm to have most of those at my feeders (although that might make birding a bit tough though)! I reckon 120 would be about as far as I could get without taking the public transport route, which I am still considering.

Luke

Ok Dan, my target was 25 for 2009 which was exceeded most convincely on Jan 2nd - I'm done now, so let's see if you can beat it ;)

01/01/09

Swanley, Kent

01 Robin
02 Black-headed Gull
03 Woodpigeon
04 Starling

(Took 4 attempts to actually see anything at all in 2009, despite it being mid-morning. The skies and rooftops seemed devoid of all birdsthe first couple of times I looked outside.)

05 Magpie
06 Blackbird
07 Collared Dove
08 Blue Tit
09 House Sparrow
10 Chaffinch
11 Greenfinch
12 Jay
13 Goldcrest
14 Wren
15 Common Gull
16 Great Tit
17 Goldfinch
18 Green Woodpecker
19 Pied Wagtail
20 Redwing
21 Ring-necked Parakeet
22 Long-tailed Tit
23 Mistle Thrush
24 Moorhen
25 Mallard
26 Coot
27 Shoveler
28 Carrion Crow
29 Dunnock
30 Bullfinch
31 Feral Pigeon

13/01/09

Swanley Park, Kent

32 Jackdaw
33 Great Spotted Woodpecker
34 Canada Goose
35 Siskin (7)
36 Lesser Redpoll (1)
37 Canada Goose

All on foot of course!!

20/01/09

Swanley Park, Kent

38 Grey Wagtail, flying over

22/01/09

Received an email just after lunch to say that there were 5 Waxwings showing well opposite Ruxley Manor Garden Centre, near Sidcup. Since it was only about 2 miles away, I decided to go for it and walk rather than drive. Only having seen Waxwings on 2 occasions before, this seemed a slightly brave move, but the right one in the circumstances. It was only a short step further on to visit some disused gravel workings which I had only 'discovered' (Well, been shown by another BF member) a few days previously. Unfortunately the star attractions (Kingfisher and Water Rail) not on display this time, but nonetheless, plenty of extra species not normally to be found in Swanley Park. The walk back to Swanley ended up in the dark, but still fun as I was intently scanning for owls (no chance!).

39 Waxwing 5
40 Fieldfare
41 Little Grebe
42 Gadwall
43 Teal
44 Mute Swan
45 Tufted Duck
46 Ruddy Duck f
47 Great Crested Grebe
48 Pochard
49 Greylag Goose
50 Grey Heron
51 Song Thrush

And bringing the list up to date (excepting any I'd forgotten of course!);

28/01/09

en route to Swanley Train Station

52 Sparrowhawk

From National Express coach, M1 and M11, N of London

53 Common Buzzard
54 Rook
55 Kestrel

Was looking out for Pheasants, exciting as that sounds, completely forgotten about Buzzards (Not so many in NW Kent), qso it was a very pleasant surpise to see a few out in the fields, presumably hunting worms....

(Still got a long, long way to go to reach 99 for the year, lol ;) )

Hey Dan,

Good job with the Waxwings - must have been tempting to just jump in the car! Well this weekend was busy so my BIGBY was on hold. Popped out for a little stroll today and managed to scrape up Ring-billed Gull as a flyover- yaaaaawwwwwnnnn so that's 39 for the year. The freezing temps and lack of open water at the local pond are killing me right now. Warmer weather this coming week though!

If you do, I'll send you a chocolate flake to stick on the top ;)

Not too bright here today Streatham, snowing and strong winds this afternoon!

Hi Deborah,

I'll sympathize when you have to go out in sub zero temps (and I mean Fahrenheit!!!!!) the other weekend I set off to lead a bird walk and it was -2F (almost -19C) You don't know how lucky you have it - I dream of dreary British winters these days.

Luke

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back