• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Golden Eagle Cornwall (formerly Raptor ID UK) (1 Viewer)

..why not a young White-tailed Eagle? Wings seem broad and rectangular, without an obvious bulge on trailing edge, and wingtips seem too square for Golden Eagle. Admittedly, tail looks a little long, but my first instinct was WTE. I'd love to see any other pics - are there any at all?

IMO it's definitely a subadult Golden Eagle. You can even see the white wing patches and the white base of the tail. I assume the Scottish Golden Eagles are more stationary than those from Northern Europe, which may migrate more than a thousand km away.

Don't think there's ever been an accepted Goldie in southern England. We've got one in Sussex that's been kicking around for a couple of years (still got anklets on) that goes missing for long periods of time so who knows where it goes!!

"Golden Eagle Cornwall Stithians Reservoir 12:15 19/04/09
a sub-adult over yesterday viewed from the path between the southern causeway and the dam"

interesting news from Birdguides in light of this.......unless this is the record submitted after the photo etc? rather than a new record?

Last edited:
same record. I submitted it to RBA today after getting more details from the finder and making several phone calls to raptor centres iwo escapees. If it has escaped it hasnt escaped from a Cornish collection, that has now been established. Passage migrant?? As you say - there's no accepted record for the south and due to the inexperience of the finder it will stay that way

The bird IS an eagle, no level of inexperience or experiece will change that. Its origins are what needs debating. What was the Eagle on the Isle of White in the end?

Jane

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back