• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

subspecies identification-golden eagle (1 Viewer)

firepig36

South Korea
first, I say some words of apology for not asking the bird that I actually saw.
Anyway, the question is "how can I differentiate japanese golden eagle(=Aquila chrysaetos japonica) from other golden eagle subspecies?". I tried hard to find what makes japanese golden eagle different from other golden eagle subspecies, but there was little information.
Please help me guys~TㅅT

I tried hard to find what makes japanese golden eagle different from other golden eagle subspecies, but there was little information.
Probably because there is little difference. Can I ask why you want to know about this? Golden eagle is normally a sedentary species so you're not likely to find one of its races within the range of another one, ie there is never likely to be a need to differentiate this race from other races in the field. However, there is some info on this (with sources to follow up) easily available in Wiki.

thank you man.
I wanted to know it because japonica is pretty unique subspecies and I wanna know that it is japonica when I discover them.
Unlike other subspecies, japonica lives in the forest and evolved quite interesting characteristic against other subspecies.
Also, it is known not to be migratory but once recorded in korea(In korea, japonica is known to be extincted.)

As I indicated, with a sedentary species you know what race it is simply by the location at which you saw it. There is no need for visual identification.
first i say some words of feeling sorry if i seem to act rude. english is not my mother language so i dont use english well.
there were two kinds of golden eagle, one was migratory one(kamtschatica,comes in winter and leaves in spring) and one was resident one(japonica).
now it is believed that only migratory one is alive,so japonica shouldnt be found in main land of korea. but it was once recorded in winter recently, and so i wanna know what makes them different from other subspecies.
if japonica is found once more, people would try to find surviving group of golden eagle in korea and the problem that japonica is now facing(like small population) can be solved.

I see what you mean, firepig. But be aware that individual variation within a population is sometimes larger than the difference between two subspecies
This is from ebird:

Identification Summary​

Japonica: Similar to A. c. kamtschatica, but markedly smaller (median female wing length = 630 mm; 2), and body plumage darker (toward fuscous) with a bright rufous nape.

The better option maybe to check if adult individuals will be present during breeding period when kamtschatica will have left, but beware of young non breeding individuals staying over summer in there wintering area

Interesting question, and perhaps one where subspecies naming is unhelpful in terms of Biology. The taxonomy suggests 2 forms; a smaller, sedentary forest dwelling form and a larger, open country, migratory form. However, I doubt that much is known about any mating between forms. If there are some small forest dwelling Korean individuals, then I understand the wish that they prove to be survivors of a previous population, but could they be smaller individuals from the migratory population thanks to a genetic shuffling? Don’t get hung up on labels; the key is to discover as much as possible (obviously without damaging any prospects of nesting).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back