• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BBC Twitching Documentary (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really enjoyed the program as well and although Gary came across as dangerously obsessed I liked how he had a smile on his face nearly every time you saw him. Unlike most birders you see out in the field who look well grumpy all of the time.
(Just like that irish birder at the bar !!)

I only got to see the second half, but will watch the whole thing later, but I thought Lee came across as perfectly honest and correct about most things, especially the lack of fieldcraft and ID competence some birders show. You've just got to ignore some of the hyperbole and acknowledge that he plays a part of the scene.

I'd not heard of the Craigs but thought they came over as a lovely family. Mya could do a lot worse. When I think of the boring crap I was forced to do at that age, like church, homework etc. I would have much preferred twitching! Those people who mentioned that this is no way to bring up a child, social services etc need to get a grip of themselves quite frankly.

John

I sometimes have sleepless nights with the prospect of exciting birding and what the next day will bring when the weather is 'spot on'. And without a rarity in sight!

I can relate to the excitement and anticipation.

And my happiness on a day is often dependant on whether I've connected with the best local bird of the year.Mark

Did you mean to say isn't dependent? If not, what's the point in taking the joy out of the experience?

i dont think anyone has said taking your kid out into the field is wrong,its the amount of time,ie every weekend for the whole weekend thats the problem,to be honest,by the time she is 16/17 i would bet a large amount of money that she is sick of birds and being made to follow her parents obssesive hobby.
From the age of 12-15 i was marched up and down the country to play badminton for my county much in the same way she was,yes i was good but by the time i was 15 i had missed out on so much,things like playing football,birding,spending time with mates.
The problem isn't twitching its the obsessive nature of it,its fine to do such a thing if you want to do it but if you are being forced to do such a thing when you don't really want to the majority of the time then you will revolt against it.She may really enjoy it but the odd comment from her suggest otherwise

I've seen twitchers make themselves depressed because someone neglected to nail the bird down and have sleepless nights at the possibility of their slipping down the rankings table (their human worth likewise diminishing).

To be fair to Garry, at least he seemed able to maintain a smile having travelled all the way to the west coast of Ireland for no reward. That probably annoyed the programme-makers no end; they were probably wishing he'd been crying into his pint. Or since he was in Father Ted country, perhaps it would have been more appropriate to raise a fist to the heavens, shouting "You bastard!"

i dont think anyone has said taking your kid out into the field is wrong,its the amount of time,ie every weekend for the whole weekend thats the problem,to be honest,by the time she is 16/17 i would bet a large amount of money that she is sick of birds and being made to follow her parents obssesive hobby.
From the age of 12-15 i was marched up and down the country to play badminton for my county much in the same way she was,yes i was good but by the time i was 15 i had missed out on so much,things like playing football,birding,spending time with mates.

Ok the psychologists would love this posting. Because you were marched up and down the country playing badminton you have affixed your pent up angst against the Craig Family because they bird as a family.

So it's your mothers fault that you are having a go at the Craigs

Mmm take a seat on the couch Mr Sniper

with regards to garry,apart from driving while on the phone and admitting to driving 12 hours constantly with just a couple of cans of red bull to aid him,i found him to be a jolly chap.I do feel sorry for his wife and child who for parts of the year may not see him for days on end but its no different to many familes nowadays.
With regards to lee,have never met him and possibly never will but i think there were times when he looked bad and other times when i could understand what he is saying.
Identifying birds is difficult for everyone,not just novices.Personally,i am glad i don't see rarities,i just enjoy going out and seeing what i can find and enjoying the birds.

Did you mean to say isn't dependent? If not, what's the point in taking the joy out of the experience?

It was in response to your posting saying "Guys, pinning your worth and happiness to whether or not a bird shows isn't a good option. Maybe some reassessment is called for (like recalling you have a family for instance). P-r-o-p-o-r-t-i-o-n."

"my happiness on a day is often dependant on whether I've connected with the best local bird of the year" = passionate about my birding. I'm a long retired twitcher but can fully relate to the purely natural emotions encountered. Missing birds hurts.

Ok the psychologists would love this posting. Because you were marched up and down the country playing badminton you have affixed your pent up angst against the Craig Family because they bird as a family.

So it's your mothers fault that you are having a go at the Craigs

Mmm take a seat on the couch Mr Sniper

Its amazing how on birdforum that anyone who disagrees with someones views that they then spin it around to something it is not.
I do not have any pent up angst towards the family,just don't believe what the parents are doing is right,it is selfish and for their own needs,not the young ladies.
If someone can seriously tell me that having a young child spending hours and hours in a car every weekend is right when they could be doing so much more is right i will back down,but if they really cared why not take her out on a sunday for the day to different local sites,why transport her across the country,for one reason and for one reason only,their parents life ticks.
Please don't think this is anything against twitchers as it is not.
At one point in the programme,they had driven from cornwall,into the lake district and then onto scotland in less than 24 hours to look for taiga bean goose,very nice but when they got there the girl was complaining she was hungry and was told not until she saw the birds.I just don't think thats right

Anyway as George Michael has been mentioned in the thread I thought I'd lighten the atmosphere a little, far too many accusations here and far too many folks taking themselves too seriously. So time for a bit of fun

As I'm not a George Michael fan I have had to look up a discography of his songs and I thought I'd have a play with the titles so that when DJ LGME (Lee George Michael Evans) next does his roadshow he could perhaps play the following songs

• Wake me up before you Dodo
  • Club Dendroica
  • Credit Card Birder
  • Last Calidris
  • Fantasy '00
  • Papa was a rolling Stone Curlew
  • Careless Pisher
  • Edith & King Penguin

And one for the Tribute Band (Garry Bagnell)

• I'm your fan

Last edited:
If someone can seriously tell me that having a young child spending hours and hours in a car every weekend is right when they could be doing so much more is right i will back down,but if they really cared why not take her out on a sunday for the day to different local sites,why transport her across the country,for one reason and for one reason only,their parents life ticks.

You were marched up and down the country doing something that you did not want to do & resented, so you think that going up and down the country as a child is wrong. Ergo: Mya-Rose's adventures in Scotland, Scilly, Cornwall & Lake District with her loving parents is wrong.

You cannot make judgements about that childs life without knowing the family and your pseudo moral crusade is disgusting.

Get over it & move on

If someone can seriously tell me that having a young child spending hours and hours in a car every weekend is right when they could be doing so much more is right i will back down...

Seriously, it's right.

How's that? Back down? ;)

Anyway, your opinion of the Craigs is based on a few short segments in a one hour tv programme of delightfully provocative content. Do you not think that perhaps you need to see them in action during the week, and during school holidays etc, before reaching too firm a conclusion?

The problem isn't twitching its the obsessive nature of it,its fine to do such a thing if you want to do it but if you are being forced to do such a thing when you don't really want to the majority of the time then you will revolt against it.She may really enjoy it but the odd comment from her suggest otherwise

And I'd bet another large amount of money that there's no way they did another 300+ year list this year. That's very much Lee Evans domain, no one else has the stamina or obsession to do it every year (I've done 1 and that was enough). Regular twitching leaves plenty of weekends for other activities as unfortunately rare birds are just that. It's a bit different from badminton or even football I think, as a quick look at the fixture list will assure you thats on every bloody weekend. New birds aren't, that's what makes it unpredictable and enjoyable

Cheers
John.

Obviously the twitchers revolt,funny how every one of my friends who watched it last night (none who have much interest in birds) thought it was sad and pathetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back