• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue headed wagtail Titchwell uk (1 Viewer)

eagle33

Craig Shaw
Would i be correct in thinking this is iberiae rather than flava. seen yesterday at titchwell being reported as just a yellow...

cheers

Attachments

• iberae Wagtail (1).jpg
    iberae Wagtail (1).jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 280
  • iberae Wagtail (2).jpg
    iberae Wagtail (2).jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 176
  • iberae Wagtail(blue-headed).jpg
    iberae Wagtail(blue-headed).jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 142
  • iberae Wagtail(blue-headed)2.jpg
    iberae Wagtail(blue-headed)2.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 158
This does look reasonable for iberiae in that the chin and upper breast is white (yellow on flava) and the light supercilium and light below the cheek patch is fine too. However, the dark cheek patch has some white in it and this should be very dark for iberiae. Perhaps it's a darkish flavissima. Over to the experts.

Cheers Guys, stick with flavissima then...

No!
It is obviously not flavissima.

I heard this bird call on Saturday but only saw it in flight. The call was very different to typical flavissima or other western races and I kicked myself for not making an effort to see the bird on the ground - too busy watching Grey Phalarope and swarms of Starlings.

Having seen these photos has anyone thought about the possibilities of tshutchensis or however you spell it? Eastern Yellow Wagtail for anyone not into scientific names - and a different species to most people.

Steve

Such a plumage won't get you anywhere I'm afraid.
White chins are quite typical for young birds in flava (which according to Steve this would not be on call... but did anyone record it?)

Now that complicates things I never did hear it call. Thanks for bringing this up again Steve. Certainly darker than i would imagine for flavissima, that was the reason for questioning it.

No!
It is obviously not flavissima.

I heard this bird call on Saturday but only saw it in flight. The call was very different to typical flavissima or other western races and I kicked myself for not making an effort to see the bird on the ground - too busy watching Grey Phalarope and swarms of Starlings.

Having seen these photos has anyone thought about the possibilities of tshutchensis or however you spell it? Eastern Yellow Wagtail for anyone not into scientific names - and a different species to most people.

Steve

Such a plumage won't get you anywhere I'm afraid.
White chins are quite typical for young birds in flava (which according to Steve this would not be on call... but did anyone record it?)

Are you then saying that the only diagnostic feature for this bird is the call?
There are the complications of intergrade to consider and that is a minefield. BWP only shows 2 examples of flava and a flava intergrade and both have yellow 'chins'. I am not saying that it is flava BTW. BWP also shows a great variation of flavissima from almost brown and white for just about the whole bird to yellow and brown, the typical ones. There is even a 'blue' version which is really a brownish-blue and white. This one may not be readily be ided on plumage as you say.

The call of this bird was a 'sh-r-rip' rather than the normal flava or flavissima 'seep', very different to my ears but nobody else there (and there were lots) seemed to find it odd until I pointed it out.
But that's Titchwell for you.

Steve

you don't need to go all the way to siberia, eastern and southern european yellow wags sound similarly sharp. at least cinereocapilla, feldegg and all the (south-)eastern eurpean intergrades can have this harsh call. no chance to ID it on plumage features with all the hybrid variants and young birds (well, you only can eliminate "pure" ind. of the darker capped ssp.)

cheers,

you don't need to go all the way to siberia, eastern and southern european yellow wags sound similarly sharp. at least cinereocapilla, feldegg and all the (south-)eastern eurpean intergrades can have this harsh call. no chance to ID it on plumage features with all the hybrid variants and young birds (well, you only can eliminate "pure" ind. of the darker capped ssp.)

cheers,

Correct!

The call of this bird was a 'sh-r-rip' rather than the normal flava or flavissima 'seep', very different to my ears but nobody else there (and there were lots) seemed to find it odd until I pointed it out.
But that's Titchwell for you.

Steve

I certaily Questioned the bird, but limited knowledge, i had no idea of race....We seem no closer to an id.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back