• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Norfolk Coastal Footpath (1 Viewer)

jforgham

Birding for fun
Finding myself with a few days off after a relatively busy period I decided to redo the Norfolk coastal footpath, last completed in August 2007 where I managed 85 sp
Having a go in Sept. might offer a few more sp. and so it did. A total of 99 species were observed over the 47 miles from Hunstanton to Cromer.
En route, by car to Burnham Deepdale I managed 15 species, 1 being jay which I failed upon the previous walk. As it happened they appeared to be ubiquitous, recording in advance of 25 for the whole walk. Others were expected field and roadside birds.
I arrived at the camp site at Burnham Deepdale (highly recommended) and packed my small sack to catch the coasthopper back to Hunstanton. I dismounted the bus and was on the strut at precisely noon. This time I had my camera with me so photo stops were made. The section from here to Burnham Deepdale is roughly 12 miles and so an easy wander for a regular walker. The weather led to t shirt and shorts and unlike last time, where my boots fell apart, I was kitted out in a supportive pair of goretex walkers. Most comfortable and worn in.
On this section I enjoyed the sight and sound of redshank, oystercatcher as well as an unexpected wheatear on the cliffs at Hunstanton carpark. Other notable birds were little egret, knot, dunlin and an excellent male marsh harrier. I arrived at Holme reserve HQ, ready for a coffee and Rothmans Royal or two. A migrant hawker and red darter were photographed on this section. However, upon leaving the comfort of a seat and coffee I bumped into 2 ladies who I suspect to be in their eighties. We stopped and chatted for awhile about the walk. They were doing the distance for the 17th time and bemoaned the fact that they got slower every year. This time they reckoned it would take 2 weeks! "Excellent", I thought, dreaming of the occasion when I could find so much time. I pointed out redshank, curlew and whimbrel to them and bid them farewell and good luck. I really enjoy the section from here to B.Deepdale. Plebty of architecture, colour, birds and history. The wander up to Choseley Barns offered great views of corn bunting and a field of golden plover. Down to Brancaster and back on the marshes, past the Roman Fort at Branodunum gave views of turnstone at the mussel sheds, g.l. and p.f. goose with a teal being the 50th bird. As I came past Brancaster Staithe and into B. Deepdale I had been on a most enjoyable 6 hour march.
The tent was put up and off to Leftleys shop for tea. A plumped for a chicken curry in a tin along with a selection of Norfolk ales. The latter were great, the curry revolting but hot. In the field behind the camp site curlews curlewed and p.f. geese filled the reddening sky. Excellent relaxation before a trudge to the White Horse fora few much need ales.
I awoke the following morning to the geese and curlews before a cup of tea and bacon and sausages on the camp stove, A tawny owl called from distant woodsand by 8 o/c I was off wandering again, ensuring a supply of fags, water, beer and chocolate. What more could a middle aged man require? (Yes, I know but time and place, man.) On the sea defence path another wheatear gave itself up to pleasing photos, as did a passing barn owl. What a start! A moulting grey plover cowered in a ditch next to a spot shank. Good birds all of them. Then, right in front, a ringtail hen harrier quartered over the marsh, a superb sight but too distant for a worthwhile shot. Egyptian geese came in to feed and the first ruff of the wander was recorded.
This was the long section, with visits to Burnham Overy Staithe, Holkham and Wells beach, Stiffkey, Morston, Blakeney and finally finishing at Cley for a Woodforde Wherry or 3 at The George and a salute to the Richard Richardson corner in the small bar. In all around 22 miles. Across the marshes before Morston a hunting merlin was bothering the linnet flock, a yellowhammer called and 1 of the 7 cettis called out. Last bird of the day was a pair of bearded reedlings, in the phragmites that used to be Cley Harbour. The total sp count now had risen to 78 and still some way to go.
After quaffing a pint or two I coast hopped back to the tent, forego the pleasure of another tinned meal and headed straight to the White Horse for an excellent meal, ale and completed the evening with a most spiffing malt.
The final morning and an early start. I waned to get round Titchwell early, before picking up my partner. She was coming up on train and bus and we were meeting at Hunstanton bus station at 9am. I got round Titchwell with the highlight being a superbly part summer plumaged grey plover, along with first sightings of common scoter, eider, brent geese an unexpected woodcock and a blackcap. Another great start to the day.
Her ladyship duly arrived and we parked the car at Cley for the 13 miles to Cromer. 8 miles of shingle is heavy going, but a curlew sandpiper at Arnolds, a hobby over Wallsey Hills and 2 fulmar from Kelling beach made it worthwhile.
Further along a swarm of snow buntings showed and in amongst were several twite. Great stuff. Upon arriving at Sheringham a sandwich lunch in a pleasant cafe was had before the last few miles into the woods and then down to Cromer Pier. As we entered the woods the count was 98. 2 more for the century. A great spotted woodpecker halved the deficit but a search of Cromer gardens for a greenfinch and then a scan of the sea for a skua proved fruitless. However, I reckoned 99 was better. Who would believe the round 100 anyway?
A superb 3 days, no thoughts of work etc, just myself at peace with natural surroundings. Excellent all round.

Bird list:En Route:
LBBG, BHG, jay, pheasant, pied wagtail, common gull, starling, green woodpecker, wood pigeon, collared dove, magpie, cormorant, swallow, carrion crow, jackdaw

Hunstanton to Burnham Deepdale (28.09.09)
oystercatcher, wheatear, stock dove, robin, dunnock, wren, linnet, redshank, skylark, curlew, herring gull, little egret, chaffinch, knot, dunlin, GBBG, mallard, marsh harrier, goldfinch, coot, meadow pipit, mistle thrush, kestrel, blue tit, moorhen, golden plover, corn bunting, song thrush, long tailed tit, g.l. goose, p.f.goose, house sparrow, turnstone, whimbrel, teal, bl. t. godwit.

Burnham Deepdale to Cley.
tawny owl, grey plover, grey heron, sp. shank, mute swan, snipe, hen harrier, barn owl, eg goose, reed bunting, great tit, blackbird, ruff, coal tit, goldcrest, chiffchaff, shelduck, wigeon, lapwing, greenshank, little grebe, ringed plover, merlin, gadwall, cetti's warbler, yellowhammer, bearded reedling.

Titchwell:
tufted duck, water rail, shoveller, sanderling, brent goose, gannet, common scoter, eider, ba. t. godwit, woodcock, blackcap, lesser whitethroat.

Cley to Cromer:

hbby, canada goose, curlew sandpiper, snow bunting, twite, stonechat, rook, fulmar, great spotted woodpecker.

Attachments

• 2. bhg.JPG
    2. bhg.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 21. redshank.JPG
    21. redshank.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 22. curlew.JPG
    22. curlew.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 52. p f goose skien.JPG
    52. p f goose skien.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 47. turnstone.JPG
    47. turnstone.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Few more photos
JonoB :)B :)

Attachments

• 58. wheatear.JPG
    58. wheatear.JPG
    159.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 59. barn owl.JPG
    59. barn owl.JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 61. eg geese BOS.JPG
    61. eg geese BOS.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 113. sunlit dunlin.JPG
    113. sunlit dunlin.JPG
    189.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 110. grey plover.JPG
    110. grey plover.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 69
A few views from the walk
Jono

Attachments

• 13. windswept.JPG
    13. windswept.JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 54. tepee sunset.jpg
    54. tepee sunset.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 25. Thornham salt marsh.JPG
    25. Thornham salt marsh.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 54
  • 72. empty beach.JPG
    72. empty beach.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 139. completed.jpg
    139. completed.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 125
Last lot for the time being.
Jono

Attachments

• 26. Thornham view.JPG
    26. Thornham view.JPG
    202.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 73. Rothko 1.JPG
    73. Rothko 1.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 60. Burnham OS windmill.JPG
    60. Burnham OS windmill.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 87. half way at Wells.jpg
    87. half way at Wells.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 97. Blakeney Hotel.JPG
    97. Blakeney Hotel.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 60
Excellent stuff, Jono:t:

Sounds like a great adventure you had, great write up and pictures of your walk. Makes me wish I was on the 08.23 Norwich to Sheringham!!

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back