• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best buy around 25-28mm? (1 Viewer)

kristoffer

Used Register
My girlfriend finds her 8x42 Nikon Monarchs to be too heavy during the summer. I need to find her a more lightweight bin for about the same price. (Around $200-300).

Do anyone of you guys got suggestions in the 25-28mm region? She tried a pair of 8x20 Trinovids but thought it was hard to position the eyes etc so 25mm is really the smallest that would work and 32 mm is perhaps a bit too heavy usually. But of course the size isn´t the limiter, it is the weight.

Perhaps Vortex has some options?

No, I think the Vortex quality starts at 32mm. At 28mm they are pretty ordinary. But maybe the Viper.

I have been thru this and there is really nothing of quality in 25mm under alpha prices. The reverse porros do the job. I have Vortex Vanquish 8x26. Works OK. But several reverse porros are OK.

My girlfriend finds her 8x42 Nikon Monarchs to be too heavy during the summer. I need to find her a more lightweight bin for about the same price. (Around $200-300).

Do anyone of you guys got suggestions in the 25-28mm region? She tried a pair of 8x20 Trinovids but thought it was hard to position the eyes etc so 25mm is really the smallest that would work and 32 mm is perhaps a bit too heavy usually. But of course the size isn´t the limiter, it is the weight.

Perhaps Vortex has some options?

Hi Kristoffer,

I recently had a quick look through some Opticron Taiga 8x25 and I've got to say they were impressive. It was just a couple of minutes look so nothing like a test, if you see what I mean, but I got that instant "these are good" feeling.

Not waterproof though and only six degress fov but I think I'll be getting a pair for my wife so long as she likes them when she tries them out.

And they can be got for around £60 I think.

Best wishes
Martin

Yes now that you mention it the Taiga does ring a bell. I have heard lots of good stuff about them but non WP is a downside. We often have rain here. I like £60 though.

Thanks for the reply Tero. I thought Vortex had more around 25-28mm. Small vipers would work though, I liked the 42mm. Is the 32mm the smallest Viper?

Hi Kristoffer,

I recently had a quick look through some Opticron Taiga 8x25 and I've got to say they were impressive. It was just a couple of minutes look so nothing like a test, if you see what I mean, but I got that instant "these are good" feeling.

Not waterproof though and only six degress fov but I think I'll be getting a pair for my wife so long as she likes them when she tries them out.

And they can be got for around £60 I think.

Best wishes
Martin

Opticron markets another reverse porro design, similar to the Taiga, which is waterproof - the HR WP 8x26 and 10x26. It has slightly longer eye relief than the Taiga too at 18mm, which could be useful. I have never heard much about it though, so I don't know if the quality is as good as the Taiga. Perhaps Chris Galvin will see this thread and offer us his professional opinion.

Ron

I am in the market for the same: a light compact roof bino to have always with me in outdoor.
It seems like compact porros are not really compact or light as roofs or is there something that can be considered?

About compact roofs, here's are my favourite on chart but anyone have really exeperience with one of them?

Vortex Viper 8x28 seems to be great (even ED glass) http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/vortex/vortex-viper-8x28-binocular
Kowa BD 8x25 Binocular http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/kowa/kowa-bd-8x25-binocular-green
The Pentax DCF LV 9x28 seems great but a little less FOV and not much pockatable http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/pentax/pentax-dcf-lv-9x28-roof-prism-binocular
The Steiner Wildlife Pro 8.5x26 Binocular seems nice more compact and lighter then the others http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/steiner/steiner-wildlife-pro-8-5x26-binocular

They look ok but the steiner is pretty boring really. Or my faint recollection was that it was dim. I alsoremember a 9x25 reverse porro being rather dim on cloudy days. 8x28 is good, but you have to work at it. The Viper 8x28 may be it, but it has rather narropw field. May be bright, have not seen it yet.

Last edited:
Bushnell 7x26 Custom.....around $250 and easily outperforms anything under 30mm and $500. Not waterproof but if it's view your're after, unbeatable. Also has a 3.7mm exit pupil so is much easier and realaxing to use for quick looks (locating) and extended views (position not as critical).

Thanks for the input guys. The Bushnell Custom could work but they seem hard to find in the EU. The Taiga seem to be the best bet now.

Thanks for the input guys. The Bushnell Custom could work but they seem hard to find in the EU. The Taiga seem to be the best bet now.

Kristoffer,

I haven't made an extensive price check but I have noticed that Warehouse Express sell them for around £60 and others I've seen are around £90 so maybe W E are the best value, in the Uk at least.

Let us know how you get on with them if you buy them

Best wishes
Martin

Go for the Taiga. But in the long run, she sounds like the ideal user for a decent 8x32. Look around, see what you find this summer. Then do some more shopping if you eventually want the 8x32 format.

My reverse porros get minimal use. Casual walks with birding not in mind, bicycling, canoeing. If I am birding, I use 8x32 in summer, sometimes Bushnell Ulta 8x42.

I joined here to look for a overall usabile decengt bino but I think I am getting addicted :)
I think I will get a 10x42(maybe a Bushnell Ultra HD or Zen Ray) a 8x32 (something like a Leupold Katmai or Eagle Optic SRT) and something more compact.

I am now really looking at the Kowa 8x25 or the Opticron Oasis 8x21, they have best specs, similar price size and similar weight. What do you suggest between the two?

Even compact porros are tempting (I read about Bushnell Custom, Olympus Tracker, Opticron Taiga, Pentax Papilio and Nikon Prostaff) but I can't realize size, anyone have a pic comparison with compact roof or some pic in the hand?

Last edited:
There are two lightweight waterproof models in the Opticron range which our friends at GO Foto and Naturbokhandeln have both taken a liking to.

BGA T PC 8x24 - extremely light at 240g but *only* 24mm. FOV is 6.8º. Price is somewhat above £60 at 2250 Skr :) We find these very easy to sell to ladies looking for something small enough to carry in a purse or jacket pocket.

http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/bga_tpc_oasis.htm

Discovery 8x32 - weight is 390g, size is 108x117mm. Feels more like a full size bin and has 7.5º FOV. Good close focus too at 1.2 metres. Price is 1895 Skr.

http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/discovery_wp.htm

Both of those are at the top of your price range though Kristoffer.

Thought you might want some pictures to help the comparison.

Left - 8x24 BGA T PC
Middle - Discovery 8x32
Right - Taiga 10x25 (same dimensions externally as 8x25)

Attachments

• Side by Side.jpg
    Side by Side.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 276
  • Top down.jpg
    Top down.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 211
  • Hand hold comparison.jpg
    Hand hold comparison.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 248
I am since 6 months in a very happy relationship to a pair of 8x32 and has not looked back since so I definitely agree with you Tero. I have not missed having a 8x42 even once yet. But she finds my 32mm to be too heavy so I think she needs even more lightweight.

Go for the Taiga. But in the long run, she sounds like the ideal user for a decent 8x32. Look around, see what you find this summer. Then do some more shopping if you eventually want the 8x32 format.

My reverse porros get minimal use. Casual walks with birding not in mind, bicycling, canoeing. If I am birding, I use 8x32 in summer, sometimes Bushnell Ulta 8x42.

Thanks Pets, lot´s of nice options in the Opticron lineup. The question is how important WP is then.

There are two lightweight waterproof models in the Opticron range which our friends at GO Foto and Naturbokhandeln have both taken a liking to.

BGA T PC 8x24 - extremely light at 240g but *only* 24mm. FOV is 6.8º. Price is somewhat above £60 at 2250 Skr :) We find these very easy to sell to ladies looking for something small enough to carry in a purse or jacket pocket.

http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/bga_tpc_oasis.htm

Discovery 8x32 - weight is 390g, size is 108x117mm. Feels more like a full size bin and has 7.5º FOV. Good close focus too at 1.2 metres. Price is 1895 Skr.

http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/discovery_wp.htm

Both of those are at the top of your price range though Kristoffer.

Figured I'd put my 2 cents worth after reading a zillion forum posts and noticing that most posts are steered towards the higher end binocs.

After reading that Outside Indoor magazine had declared the Carson Raven 8x28 roof prism binocs the 2009 "Killer Value" at $79, I decided to buy a pair since I was looking for an inexpensive pair to keep in the car and my fishing bag. Found them on Walmart online for $28 this week and bought them. Have compared them over the last 24 hrs to my Bushnell Legend 9x25 roofs, Legend 8x32 roofs (japan), Excursion ex 8 x36's and Minox 8x32 BDBR's and I have to say that the Carson Ravens are simply outstanding for a $28 pair of roof binocs. Optics are the best I've seen in a cheap binoc and about the only negatives were the focus wheel was a little looser than what I'd prefer and at only 9.8 oz they are a little hard to hand hold like all lightweights. I went back this AM to buy another pair and they had dropped the price to $10 but they were no longer available so I guess I'll have to pony up about $40 for another pair.

I am still amazed at how good these are for a non phase coated roof for less than $50.

tom

Kristoffer - I´d strongly recommend, in that price range, the Opticron DBA Oasis 8x21. Superb binocular, feels great in the hand (like a compact 8x32), very wide FOV (7.5 degrees), waterproof, sharp and contrasty.
If you want to save a bundle, the Opticron Taiga is a lovely binocular. Narrower FOV (about 6.3 degrees, I think). Not waterproof, but great optics.
Opticron´s attention to Customer/Aftersales Service is world-class.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back