• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with the Opticron HR66ED (1 Viewer)

Eric F

I use the above scope with my Collpix 4500 for digiscoping and have had mixed results. Have to admit I don't use an adaptor/release cable. I use the HDF zoom (which I think works out at about 16x-54x), as it is the EP I prefer to birdwatch with (also have HDF 28x).

Have any of you guys & gals used this scope for digiscoping and, if so, got any examples of photos you've taken ?

I must admit I'm envious of those Zeiss 85 and Nikon 82 owners out there, but maybe some decent examples of pics taken using my scope and make me more determined to get out there and improve my skills.

Will have to put some of my own pics in the gallery soon.

I had a good look through a scope like yours a while back and thought the view first class at the time. Both of the eyepieces you have are first rate. I think you'll find it more than capable of high quality photos - the only problem would be when light is at a premium as your scope would ahve somewhat lower light transmission compared with the Zeiss and Nikon you mention.

I think an adapter might be what you need - and I think Opticron do a swing-type adapter for a very reasonable price.

"I think an adapter might be what you need - and I think Opticron do a swing-type adapter for a very reasonable price."

Thanks Steve,

I think you're probably right about the need for an adaptor - Opticron's Universal adaptor looks a little fiddly to me. Must have a look at the various reviews of these on the forum.

I've put 2 pics in my gallery now & will be adding a few later today or tomorrow, time permitting - if anyone looks at these, helpful criticism would be appreciated - I'll add technical details re shutter speed etc soon too.

I do have some reasonable shots, but also far too many soft focus images. Still, I guess the beauty of digiscoping is you can always try again :bounce:

Eric

Yes the Opticron adaptor is very fiddly. I can remember stating on another thread that by the time everything has been lined up and tightened up that the bird will be in the next county having grown tired waiting for you to set the thing up!!. :C

Sounds very different from the Zeiss equivalent, then.

The fun of digiscoping is, most of all, the fact you don't have to wait days for the film to be processed, I reckon!

"Yes the Opticron adaptor is very fiddly."

Hi Geoff,

I seem to remember at last year's Birdfair, an Opticron spokesperson was displaying the adaptor, and even he seemed to take forever to align the camera to the EP! I think this adaptor may be better for non-coolpix designs that are not catered for by the usual tube-style adaptors.

Still waiting for any news on fellow Opticron 66 users out there! ;)

Eric

Eric F said:
"Yes the Opticron adaptor is very fiddly."
Hi Geoff,
I seem to remember at last year's Birdfair, an Opticron spokesperson was displaying the adaptor, and even he seemed to take forever to align the camera to the EP! I think this adaptor may be better for non-coolpix designs that are not catered for by the usual tube-style adaptors.

Still waiting for any news on fellow Opticron 66 users out there! ;)

Eric
Eric,
Until recently I had a Opticron HR66 (non-ED) that I used with some success coupled to a Fuji S304 Digi. camera. My first usage was with a metal bracket, then progressed to a tubular hard plastic type adaptor.
Roger
Pictures below :-
(apologies for quality of camera pics. - video-grab pics.)

Attachments

• CamScopeBrkt.jpg
    CamScopeBrkt.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 275
  • Camera Adaptor 1.jpg
    Camera Adaptor 1.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 233
  • DSCF0093a.jpg
    DSCF0093a.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 318
  • DSCF0040a.jpg
    DSCF0040a.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
Opticron HR66

Eric F said:
I use the above scope with my Collpix 4500 for digiscoping and have had mixed results. Have to admit I don't use an adaptor/release cable. I use the HDF zoom (which I think works out at about 16x-54x), as it is the EP I prefer to birdwatch with (also have HDF 28x).

Have any of you guys & gals used this scope for digiscoping and, if so, got any examples of photos you've taken ?

I must admit I'm envious of those Zeiss 85 and Nikon 82 owners out there, but maybe some decent examples of pics taken using my scope and make me more determined to get out there and improve my skills.

Hello,
I've got a HR 66 telescope, and I've just bought a coolpix 4500. I've made my own adapter with a plastic tube, the type used in pluming, and the few photos that i've taken of the birds around the garden seem fine, but i don't use the zoom EP, a prefer the 28x

Gosh - with the good light you have in Mallorca and the fantastic bird species, you're in for some exciting photography!

"Until recently I had a Opticron HR66 (non-ED) that I used with some success coupled to a Fuji S304 Digi. camera. My first usage was with a metal bracket, then progressed to a tubular hard plastic type adaptor."

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the pictures. Your adaptor seems to give a clear advantage over my shots, with increased definition in your images. Not being a handy man, I'll be looking at some of the adaptor tubes available at the birdfair in a couple of weeks time.

I take it from your msg, you've recently changed your kit - was this for digiscoping purposes? What did you upgrade to?

I've attached a couple of pics - the Common Tern is the clearest pic I've taken yet and considering I've not used any additional equipment besides camera & scope, it's not bad (even if I do say so myself). It would be nice to get these kind of results more consistantly though!

Eric F

Attachments

• BFCommon Tern.jpg
    BFCommon Tern.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 307
  • BFWhitethroat.jpg
    BFWhitethroat.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 241
Vicky Heredero said:
Hello,
I've got a HR 66 telescope, and I've just bought a coolpix 4500. I've made my own adapter with a plastic tube, the type used in pluming, and the few photos that i've taken of the birds around the garden seem fine, but i don't use the zoom EP, a prefer the 28x

Hi Vicky,

Thanks for your msg. I also have the 28x and zoom, but much prefer to use the zoom for birding. Now that I'm getting into digiscoping more, maybe I should try using the fixed EP a bit more. Admittedly the image is crisper and FOV is much wider at 28x compared to the zoom at a similar magnification, but i find it hard to let go of the ability to zoom in close on a subject.

Will take the scope out with the 28x and see what image results I get.

Thanks again,

Eric

Lovely shot of the tern, Eric. Well done. You've inspired me to try harder myself. I knocked my scope and camera over a week after buying the camera a few months ago and haven't really found the time or inclination for digiscoping since.

Eric F said:
I take it from your msg, you've recently changed your kit - was this for digiscoping purposes? What did you upgrade to?
I've attached a couple of pics - the Common Tern is the clearest pic I've taken yet and considering I've not used any additional equipment besides camera & scope, it's not bad (even if I do say so myself). It would be nice to get these kind of results more consistantly though!
Eric F
Eric,
Nice pictures; I like the composure of each one
Yes, I have recently sold my Opticron 'scope, and now have a Swarovski ATS80HD. I am still in the process of trying to decide on a suitable camera.
Although it is very popular, I am not keen on the Nikon 4500. After using the Fuji S304 I became used to the convenience of the SLR style EVF, and ideally would like a 5-8 megapixel camera (with EVF) that is compatible (the Olympus C8080 was potentially very appealing, but when I checked one out, it failed to live up to expectations - as was discussed in another thread).
In anticipation of my new set-up I have a red-dot sight that I believe may help in "getting on" to the subject bird. Does anyone have experience (and success) with the use of a red-dot sight (NB definitely not laser-sight) together with a 'scope, that is commonly used by air-gunners.
(NO, I do not use an air-gun, or any gun!) Apart from a water-pistol to give the neighbours' cat's a drink.
I forgot to mention that I used the Opticron 40929DTL digital eye-piece with the HR66 'scope. The metal bracket and the plastic tubular adaptor were self-designed to close tolerances to suit the S304 camera, but made by local small engineering workshops.
Because of long-term illness I have been unable to do much in the way of engineering in recent times.

Roger

"I have recently sold my Opticron 'scope, and now have a Swarovski ATS80HD. I am still in the process of trying to decide on a suitable camera."
Roger

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this thread. I hope, Roger, that you've been able to decide on a new camera, although I thought the higher spec cameras as a rule weren't as suitable for digiscoping, as it's harder to avoid problems with vignetting???

Since my last post I've tried out my 28x EP for use with the Coolpix 4500 (see Little Grebe pic in gallery). I still have mixed feelings about this EP - better definition than the zoom at the equivalent magnification and very good field of view but the zoom can gather more light at lower magnification and focus closer too. Photograping birds at the feeding station at Pennington Flash, local reserve, would not have been possible with this EP. Also miss the option to zoom up on the birds when birding - saw 2 Hobbies at Risley Moss today - too distant for digiscoping really, but would have liked the zoom given the light conditions.

After reading a little more about adapters, I'm a little worried that my Velbon tripod head (PH-157Q) might not be steady enough with the increased weight - can anyone advise on this? Would you also know if Manfrotto heads can be used with a Velbon et of tripod legs?

Regards,

Eric

There has been a fairly recent thread about fitting MF heads to Velbon tripods - entirely possible with a bit of hacksaw work, if I recall. I think the threaded male part is too long?

Eric F said:
Sorry for the delay in getting back to this thread. I hope, Roger, that you've been able to decide on a new camera, although I thought the higher spec cameras as a rule weren't as suitable for digiscoping, as it's harder to avoid problems with vignetting???
After reading a little more about adapters, I'm a little worried that my Velbon tripod head (PH-157Q) might not be steady enough with the increased weight - can anyone advise on this? Would you also know if Manfrotto heads can be used with a Velbon et of tripod legs?
Regards,
Eric
Eric,
I have still not decided - vignetting problems are not dependant upon the spec. level of a camera. It is mainly the lens design detail and compatibilty that is the decider.
I have the PH-157Q head on my Delta carbon-fibre tripod, and that is quite steady, although not ultimately ideal in use. I would like a Manfrotto tripod/head assembly, or similar, to complete my forthcoming new set-up.

Roger

Eric F said:

Hello!
Just picked up on this thread. I use an Opticron HR66 (non-ED version). After a few trials with various eyepieces I have found I get best results with the 22x WW HDF and the 18-54x HDF zoom (at low magnification). The 22x WW allows me to take pictures without zooming in too much with the camera. Maybe there are other Opticron eyepieces where you zoom in with the camera to a lesser degree than with the 22x? As stated elsewhere, the 66mm objective may not let in enough light compared with a larger objective. But with a bit of help with Photoshop ir a similair programme you can improve a lot of your pictures. Most important of all is to get the scope and camera as steady as possible - it doesn't make a bit of difference if you are using a cheap(ish) Opticron scope or an expensive Swarovski if the whole thing wobbles when you take a picture. And I can recommend adapters from Eagle Eye or from London Camera Exchange to attach your camera to the scope.

"I have the PH-157Q head on my Delta carbon-fibre tripod, and that is quite steady, although not ultimately ideal in use. I would like a Manfrotto tripod/head assembly, or similar, to complete my forthcoming new set-up."

Roger

Thanks Roger. I think I'll have a look at the Eagle Eye adapter/kit deals at the Birdfair and worry about the tripod head if that seems an issue at a later date.

For info, just read the Birdwatching review of tripods, which suggests that a Manfrotto head can be coupled with the Velbon 630 Carbon Fibre legs with the help of a "3/4 inch adapter" so it might not be all that tricky after all. I assume the same adapter could be used with other Velbon tripods ( I use the Shepra 600).

Does anyone know if there are any other Velbon heads that might be more suitable to digiscoping without the use of an adapter?

"I think I'll have a look at the Eagle Eye adapter/kit deals at the Birdfair and worry about the tripod head if that seems an issue at a later date."

Hi again,

Well, I've been to the birdfair & not had any satisfactory breakthrough - there were 2 companies with adapters at the fair - Eagle Eye & SRB Film Service.

The SRB adapter used the tripod mount on the base of your camera rather than the lens thread, which may be safer for the camera, but looked rather flimsy.

The Eagleeye stand was very busy & I didn't really get to speak to the people on hand with experience of using the device in the field - I explained that I prefered to birdwatch with the 18-54 zoom eyepiece but was told I'd experience a considerable amount of vignetting other than a setting of 18x and also I wouldn't be able to use the zoom function with the camera adapter fitted.

I've since looked at Spidertech & Cheang's adapters, as they can be used with zooms - however not sure if the Spidertech kit is compatible with Opticron HR66 ED scopes, as Opticron models are not mentioned on the Spidertech website. There is very little info on the cheang model and not sure if that would be compatible with my scope either - have heard it's expensive, but seems to come with a shutter release cable inclusive and I think would work out as less than an Eagleeye adapter/sun screen/shutter release bundle.

Would appreciate thoughts from more exp'd digiscopers.

I do have the 28x EP with a decent field of view, but just don't feel happy with it and feel the close focus ability is not as good as the zoom on lower mag.

Not sure what the next step should be.

Help!!!

Eric

rogerscoth said:
Eric,
Nice pictures; I like the composure of each one
In anticipation of my new set-up I have a red-dot sight that I believe may help in "getting on" to the subject bird. Does anyone have experience (and success) with the use of a red-dot sight (NB definitely not laser-sight) together with a 'scope, that is commonly used by air-gunners.
(NO, I do not use an air-gun, or any gun!) Apart from a water-pistol to give the neighbours' cat's a drink.
Roger
I bought a Webly red dot sight a little while ago. I "created" a bracket that fits on the Tripod Head "Quick remove plate bit" bolt that allows the head to be rotated up to 90 degree's, its a velbon sherpa 450n. It works fantastically well, but I have to carry a screwdriver to re-align the sight before each session as the bracket I made is quite flimsy.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back