• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cotingas and Manakins (1 Viewer)

screaming piha

Got my copy of Cotingas and Manakins (A&C Black) yesterday. Excellent book. Plates, photos & text of some of the tastiest Neotropical birds. Highly recommended.

Wow! I imagine the number of revisions were made at the level of genera and the splits .. What artist who painted the plates?. I can´t wait to see the illustrations of the crimson-fruitcrow and Cephalopeturs genus...Could you give any details? ;)

I've not studied the book in detail yet, but something that jumped out was that only one species is without photos of wild birds: Kinglet Calyptura. Not surprising as there are none. Specimen photos instead. That's one taxonomic thing for you: the calyptura and purpletufts are in there.

The plates are good (Eustace Barnes).

Rufous Mourner is split into two (with mention that more splits may be on the way).

Jose: The Umbrellabirds are sickening in the plates, photos and text as I have missed all three species on my travels.

Last edited:
Been looking forward to this. Like Richard, I have 21 Nov as publishing date. Pleased to hear you highly recommend it. That's the Christmas present from the missus sorted.

Had a nice surprise today when I got a knock at the door and took delivery of a complimentary copy of this book. I'd completely forgotten one of my pictures was going to be used (this one in fact)! Thanks Guy. It looks a fantastic book.

This book looks great, no doubt....however, they should have chosen another bird artist instead Eustace Barnes. His birds seems a little bit slender and out of proportions (especially feet and legs) I would chose Hilary Burn or Jan Wilczur. Chris Rose`s cotingas from HBW are very good, but the bellbirds looks a little bit plump to me.... What do you think about the artist?

Well, I wouldn´t choose Hilary Burn for illustrating any bird family, at least not any colourful ones. Bring in Mr Bowley for this job...Btw, I think Barnes plate of Shrike-like Cotinga (look here: www.leedingain.com) looks pretty decent.

// Jonas

I'm not a Neotropics expert by any means, but the species I have seen in the field look fine in these plates. Besides, there are not only paintings but also photos of them all.

Eager to get my complimentary copy.. a colleague here in Medellin (Colombia) already received his (because of this stunning contribution: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26175334@N02/4276364143/) and I should see 2 of my shots in the book: http://www.flickr.com/photos/colombia_birding_diego/5154448562 & http://www.flickr.com/photos/colombia_birding_diego/5154448420

;-)

I got sample of Scaled Fruiteater account for a paper I was writing and I have to say Guy and Graeme did an outstanding work here!!

Diego.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back