• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The correct gender of poecile (1 Viewer)

Now that we are into splitting hairs over correct word usage, it is nice to see the word "gender" used for what it was intended -- for once!

Niels

Like John Cantelo's comment on 'fora' in the cited thread, it was intended as a gentle leg-pull of Andrew Harrop, whose scholarship I acknowledge and admire...o:D
MJB

Indeed, & I was just pulling your leg a little (& John's before you). That's the trouble with us pedants, we tend to run things into the ground. ;)

Last edited:
Indeed, & I was just pulling your leg a little (& John's before you). That's the trouble with us pedants, we tend to run things into the ground. ;)

Reverting to a slightly more serious vein, I would be interested in the response of David & Gosselin in this case: they are not exactly slipshod in their approach...
MJB|^|:h?:

Reverting to a slightly more serious vein, I would be interested in the response of David & Gosselin in this case: they are not exactly slipshod in their approach...
MJB|^|:h?:

I e-mailed Normand David about this and he promised comments are coming soon. I will ask permission to post these comments when I've got them.

British Birds: Jan 2012

I e-mailed Normand David about this and he promised comments are coming soon...

Letters. BB 105(1): 36.
The correct gender of Poecile and the scientific name of the Willow Tit

Following Andrew Harrop's letter on this topic (Brit. Birds 104: 668–669), we have received correspondence from both of the main protagonists in the debate. This is summarised below, and correspondence on this topic in BB is now closed. Eds

From Normand David and Michel Gosselin:

While trying to prove that Poecile can be only feminine, Andrew Harrop (in the longer version of his letter, on the BB website) summarily dismissed the -is, -is, -e Latin endings for the sole reason that they are supposedly non-existent in Latin nouns. Yet when Kaup (1829) established the avian genus Poecile, he clearly wrote that it was based on poikilos (a Greek masculine adjective, not a noun). It is not unusual for zoological generic names to be derived from adjectives (e.g. Criniger, Incana, Megastictus).

This point only strengthens our view that Kaup's Poecile should be classified as a word of 'common or variable ending', and therefore treated as masculine.

As for Leptopoecile, instead of quoting what Severtsov (1873) actually wrote (i.e. that Leptopoecile means 'related to tits'), Harrop speculates that it is derived from the Latin noun poecile ('a celebrated hall or portico in the market-place at Athens'). Jobling (2010), though, had already cogently recognised that Leptopoecile is the genus name Poecile Kaup, 1829, with the Greek prefix leptos [delicate]. Therefore, Leptopoecile should be treated in the same way as the generic name Poecile.​

From Andrew Harrop:

I agree with David & Gosselin that Leptopoecile and Poecile should be treated in the same way. The crux of the matter is therefore the correct gender of poecile, which I have already clarified and discussed in some detail previously (Brit. Birds 104: 668–669). David & Gosselin imply that it somehow needs to be proved that poecile is feminine, yet this is not the case: the Greek word poikile and the Latin word poecile (which is the same word, as I have explained previously) are both feminine in Greek and Latin dictionaries respectively, and feminine according to Greek and Latin grammar. This is a matter of fact, not interpretation.​
[Poecile is treated as masculine by Gosler & Clement 2007 (HBW 12), IOC, Cornell (Clements/eBird), Zoonomen, AOU and CSNA; but as feminine by BOU.]​

Last edited:
This debate is not over (the genus is still feminine on the recent, 8th ed. of the British List), and as I just came across Kaup's work (finally on BHL |=)|), I figured I would provide a link to the OD.

As a reminder, ποικίλος, -η, -ον is a Greek adjective meaning many-coloured; this word is also part of the name of a famous Athenian covered gallery, known as "ἡ Ποικίλη Στοά", "the Many-coloured Gallery", or even simply, the adjective being used as a feminine substantive, "ἡ Ποικίλη", "the Many-coloured". The word passed into Latin in this last form, spelling "poecile", gender feminine, designating the Athenian gallery, or other adorned galleries similar to it. (A not-too-dissimilar modern case of a word passing to another language with a restricted meaning might be the English word "green", that in French is exclusively a noun designating a golf course.)

David & Gosselin (2008) noted: "in his original description, Kaup (1829) explicitly cited the Greek adjective poikilos ('multicoloured') as the origin of his Poecile.", and they argued that the name was thus to be treated as a "Greek word latinized with change of ending" (Art.30.1.3. of the ICZN), which led them to declare the name masculine by default. (Quite artificially indeed, and despite Latin words ending in -e never take this gender: they can be words of Greek origin, like poecile, which are always feminine, or genuine Latin words of the third declension, which are invariably neuter.)

FWiW, I'd like to offer an alternative interpretation, that I have not seen anywhere.

Kaup did not explain how he formed his name from ποικίλος, he merely cited the Greek word with its German translation in a footnote. In the vast majority of the cases, the names he proposed, that are or have their last part derived from a Greek word in -ος, have their ending simply latinised into -us. So one may be tempted to ask why Kaup acted differently with Poecile... It seems to me that Kaup would most likely have been aware of the existence of a "Latin version" of ποικίλος, and he may simply have chosen to use this dedicated Latin form. (In any case, the alternative--that he started with the Greek word, modified it in several way, and finally came up "magically" with a spelling identical to what is found in Latin dictionaries--doesn't seem much more likely to me...) If so, Poecile is arguably still the Latin word poecile (and thus takes its gender from this word), despite the footnote. Furthermore, I think that this reading would actually have to be preferred under Art.26 of the ICZN: the spelling of the name is identical to a Latin word, thus the name should be deemed to be this Latin word "unless the author says otherwise". Kaup merely cited a Greek word that is, indeed, the correct etymology of the Latin word that he would have been using under an assumption of Latin: I do not see that he "said otherwise" unambiguously enough to reject this assumption.

Last edited:
Keeping it masculine has the big advantage that the species names don't alter spelling from their old placings in Parus . . . but I guess practicality and being useful aren't allowed to enter into the discussion . . . :C

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back