• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello. please excuse a beginer. (1 Viewer)

A Wright

can anyone please help me identify this bird. probably easy but i am new to this and cant find it in my book. unless its a juvenile goldcrest? sorry about the photo but he did'nt hang around for long. Thanks for your help in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_3247.jpg
    IMG_3247.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 591
Last edited:
Certainly not a juv. Goldcrest - any chance of stating when and whereabouts the pic was taken? I'm very worried about this one ;-)

It was taken this afternoon in my garden. this is the only other pic i got if it's any good.

Attachments

• IMG_3248.jpg
    IMG_3248.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 433
I have a feeling this could be an escaped cage bird , perhaps of the chat or flycatcher family. To be honest I do not know , but a stab in the dark a female Indian blue robin.

Aberrant Robins can anyone expand. or am i being really dumb?

Not at all! Aberrant Robins are in fact extremely unusual. I'm sure I am not the only one here who has looked at more Robins than cars on roads and has never seen a Robin anything like the bird in your photo! Aberrant would just mean "different then the norm" and in your bird it looks as if its missing red/orange pigmentation. There is a possibility however, that its not a Robin and I am also sure I'm not the only one wondering! Structurally your bird really does look like one though and unless we are talking about a first record for the WP or an escape I suspect that it is a Robin.

I can't see it as a female Indian Blue Robin - the white/buff over the eye doesn't fit.

PS: Cross-posted with Motmot and I think that fits!

Last edited:
I'll try to get a better pic tomorrow if it calls again! It's back appears to light for a robin,and to white around the eye although it has a red patch between the neck and wing. Maybe a run away pet!

To expand a little on my earlier post, the bird appears to be lacking the orange/red around the eye and bill compared to a normal Robin but the delineation/demarcation line of the orange/red in this area looks the same - the back colouration seems more suited to a male Northern Wheatear (distantly related species) to my defective eyes, the shape/posture looks fine for Robin, as it also does in the second photograph (and the habitat fits the Robin).

There are however, many related chat species that I'm not familiar with - but I feel that a Robin with aberrant plumage needs to be ruled out before looking for a rarer alternative.

More photo's please ;) this looks a very interesting bird.

imm male Red-lored Whistler, any introduced eucalypts nearby ;)

sorry, just joking, but it does bear a passing resemblance to a very rare aussie bird.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back