• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young starling saved from drowning (1 Viewer)

Ronald Zee

About 2 years ago on a summers evening, while I was watching coots at a little canal, I saw a young starling flying towards me from a tree at the opposite bank. It had been feeding with its family under that tree for some time, it didn’t make it to the other side but landed in the water not far from where I was standing. As I didn’t want it to drown, I took it out of the water then walked to the other side and placed it under the tree again (I nearly drowned myself once and I can tell you it was a very horrible experience, so whenever I see a bird in the water I try to save it). After a while the members of its family joined it but I noticed that whenever they flew into the tree the young bird remained on the ground, apparently its feathers where still wet which made it impossible to fly, so I took it home and placed it in a box with some bread and water. The next morning when I opened the box it immediately flew into the room towards the window, I caught it, had a quick shower and then cycled back to the tree where it had been feeding the night before. I placed the bird under the tree and then watched it from a couple of metres away, it walked around for 30 seconds or so and then it started to chirp, this was immediately answered from the tree and then the young bird flew up to rejoin its family.

What a lovely story, thanks for sharing it. I can't bear to see anything struggling in water, I have a morbid fear of drowning too, I think it must be an awful way to die. I even save flies and wasps from the bird drinkers, and often have mopped off a bumble bee with a tissue and put it safely on a flower!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back