• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marsh Warbler? Shetland (1 Viewer)

jtwood

Looks like a Marsh with the Long primary projection but would like confirmation
Many thanks Jim

Attachments

• Marsh Warbler 460.jpg
    Marsh Warbler 460.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 287
  • Marsh-Warbler-460.jpg
    Marsh-Warbler-460.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 259
  • Marsh-Warbler-529.jpg
    Marsh-Warbler-529.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 244
  • Marsh-Warbler-551.jpg
    Marsh-Warbler-551.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Fantastic shots BTW Jim....Certainly looks like the real McCoy!..Very long pp (8 primary tips visible), grey/straw leg colour, yellowish soles, greyish nape, contrasting against grey brown upperparts..bill perhaps looking a tad longer than preferred..but..compare against (my not such a good shot) Reed Warbler that I took in early May....Cheers

Attachments

• Reed Wrblr.profile at St.Paul's May 4th 2012.jpg
    Reed Wrblr.profile at St.Paul's May 4th 2012.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 180
I agree, looks very good for Marsh Warbler. I think that the prominant but broken eyering is another good feature. Fantastic shots!

Much of the features tally with Marsh. I don't find it long-billed. But all the other characters are convincing me it's a MW.
One of the chararacters mentioned in Keith Vinicombe's MacMillan Guide was the alula being darker than the wing coverts. Don't know if this still stands as an ID feature? But it's certainly obvious in these smashing photos!
In Poland it is a very common bird around where I used to stay over many Summers. I was always struck by the whiteness of the throat standing out.
This bird's throat is very white compared to the rest of it. I like that on a Marsh.
And the lack of rufous tones, making it stand out against the "colder" overall ground compared to RW. They always reminded me of a more sophisticated Whitethroat, with subtle " racing elan".
Maybe something about the gilt edgings to the retrices lean toward MW also?
And the rounder-crowned appearence, with less emphasis on a severe forehead slope from the upper mandible, which would make the bill look dagger-like.
These ramblings, coupled with the above comments, are additions to the MW camp.
Give this bird a chance to sing and no doubt it's a Marsh.
Brilliant photos Jim!:t:

With photos that good, its easy to make out the length of the 3rd primary - much deeper in Marsh Warbler (and diagnostic)

Attachments

• marwa.jpg
    marwa.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 266
With photos that good, its easy to make out the length of the 3rd primary - much deeper in Marsh Warbler (and diagnostic)
Hi Jane!

Is this really diagnostic? Looking in Svensson it seems to be the other way around for me and looking at pictures I find it hard to see a very clear difference. Note that I'm not a ringer so this is a humble question.

Also, I wonder a little about the placement of your arrow on the Reed W. :smoke:

When I said notch...of course I meant emargination doh! You can't see the notch unless the wing is splayed! But its still the wrong way round! So much for my memory!

Last edited:
Since this thread is here, just thought i'd ask a basic Marsh/Reed id question ... without embarassing myself too much hopefully ... cracking pics above btw

Rump colour - is this diagnostic in spring (ad) birds? - ie in reasonable light/views would a bird with a concolorous tail/rump/back be a Marsh, or can Reeds' warmer rump colour not always be readily apparent/absent?

Cheers ...

When I said notch...of course I meant emargination doh! You can't see the notch unless the wing is splayed! But its still the wrong way round! So much for my memory!
You didn't say notch so no misunderstanding there. ;-) Good to see I wasn't off and that it should be a Reed.

Hi Jane
I have become a bit lost with the Thread I would be grateful if you could clarify if you think its a Reed or a Marsh. Its all above my ID skills.
Regards Jim

Two more photos that might help.
Jim

Attachments

• Marsh-Warbler-445.jpg
    Marsh-Warbler-445.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 153
  • Marsh-Warbler-15.jpg
    Marsh-Warbler-15.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 116
Yes... and not for the first time I remembered the right feature for the wrong species!

Its interesting how crisp the edges are to the flight feathers (usually a Marsh feature - though I think for fuscus too) - though the tertials are worn

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back