• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

spanish birds (1 Viewer)

binus1963

apologise for the quality on these but i know ya all like a challenge! the 1st i don't have any idea, 2nd i'm guessing hen or montague's, 3rd/4th looks too deep in chest for a sparrow hawk so thinking goshawk, and last one sand martin but it is'nt showing the band across the front of chest. as always cheers in anticipation.

Attachments

• DSC04926.JPG
    DSC04926.JPG
    264.5 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC06571.JPG
    DSC06571.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC06932.JPG
    DSC06932.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC06934.jpg
    DSC06934.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC06949.JPG
    DSC06949.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 105
I think the first is Redstart. With 5 obvious fingers the second should be Hen Harrier (I suppose could be Montagu's regrowing inner primaries could look like this?). I believe 3 and 4 and Sparrowhawk with a full crop (ie just eaten something big!) due to where the weight is and the strong barring. The last is a juvenile Sand Martin

Last edited:
The harrier is a Hen Harrier. I suppose we do not really know when these pictures were taken, but if it is recently the moult should be over or possibly at the stage of replacing the outermost primaries. P5 could be growing in July or August. In any case there is no sign of an uneven edge to the wing here. All remiges seem to be in fresh condition and the secondaries appear very dark. Therefore I believe this should be a juvenile bird irrespective of species. Maybe the photo angle makes the bird look slimmer than expected?

The harrier is a Hen Harrier. I suppose we do not really know when these pictures were taken, but if it is recently the moult should be over or possibly at the stage of replacing the outermost primaries. P5 could be growing in July or August. In any case there is no sign of an uneven edge to the wing here. All remiges seem to be in fresh condition and the secondaries appear very dark. Therefore I believe this should be a juvenile bird irrespective of species. Maybe the photo angle makes the bird look slimmer than expected?

pics were all taken in last three weeks if that helps extramadura region.

My thought too, and the Martin is a House martin of course.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back