• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Three species of Great Cormorant in Britain? (1 Viewer)

Brett Richards

United Kingdom
In the November 12 issue of Birding World there is a review of 'Catching the Bug: a Sound Approach to the birds of Poole Harbour' (page 439). It mentions birders meeting in a pub in Poole, and discussing, among other things, if there are three species of Great Cormorant in Britain. Anyone know what this is all about? Nominate & sinensis (which I am told interbreed freely where they breed in the same location) and ??: or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I really would like to find out about this, as Cormorant is one of my favourite birds.

Brett

The section on cormorants in Catching the Bug says ''Curiously, carbo from northern Norway do not appear to be closely related to carbo from elsewhere... it has been suggested that they are more closely related to Japanese cormorant P capillatus and may have colonised from the Pacific via the Northeast Passage'' (Marion and le Gentil 2006). No detail is given on ID criteria.

I don't think they've got a sonagram of one yet....

Sean

Marion & Le Gentil 2006

"Curiously, carbo from northern Norway do not appear to be closely related to carbo from elsewhere... it has been suggested that they are more closely related to Japanese cormorant P capillatus and may have colonised from the Pacific via the Northeast Passage" (Marion and le Gentil 2006).
Marion & Le Gentil 2006. Ecological segregation and population structuring of the Cormorant Phalacrocorax carbo in Europe, in relation to the recent introgression of continental and marine subspecies. Evol Ecol 20(3): 193–216. [abstract] [pdf - free access until 30 Nov 2012]
  • 'norvegicus'

Last edited:
It mentions birders meeting in a pub in Poole, and discussing, among other things, if there are three species of Great Cormorant in Britain

As one of those birders mentioned, I can confirm that Mark Constantine has brought up the possibility that carbo and sinensis are different species, although he has not produced any real evidence. I knew nothing about a 'third species' until I read the book, so you know as much as I do.
Mark often makes the point that Gilbert White spent 20 years writing to a correspondant, questioning perceived wisdom, such as whether birds migrate or hibernate and we have spent 20 years going to the Blue Boar doing exactly the same (although we have unanimously accepted that birds don't hibernate).
As far as the drink is concerned large quantities of London Pride is normal.

Western Sahara

Sorry, not Britain! But better to keep discussions of Great Cormorant subspecies together...

Bergier, Thévenot, Qninba, Samlali & El Balla 2013. Les Grands Cormorans Phalacrocorax carbo maroccanus / lucidus dans le Sahara Atlantique marocain. Go-South Bull 10: 208–220. [pdf] [In French.]

White-breasted Cormorant Phalacrocorax (carbo) lucidus (monotypic) is treated as a distinct species by IOC.

Orta 1992 (HBW 1).

It mentions birders meeting in a pub in Poole, and discussing, among other things, if there are three species of Great Cormorant in Britain

As far as the drink is concerned large quantities of London Pride is normal.

You could at least make it Tanglefoot for goodness' sake.

John

'norvegicus'

Marion & Le Gentil 2006. Ecological segregation and population structuring of the Cormorant Phalacrocorax carbo in Europe, in relation to the recent introgression of continental and marine subspecies. Evol Ecol 20(3): 193–216. [abstract] [pdf - free access until 30 Nov 2012]
  • 'norvegicus'
Martin Garner, Birding Frontiers, 11 Jan 2015: Japanese Cormorant genes in Europe.

PS. Marion & Le Gentil 2006. [pdf]

Last edited:
Martin Garner, Birding Frontiers, 11 Jan 2015: Japanese Cormorant genes in Europe.

PS. Marion & Le Gentil 2006. [pdf]
Just two short remarks:
- The name norvegicus is unavailable because it lacks a description and an explicit type fixation. In addition, the type locality of carbo is unclear, which is problematic here: the [OD] is based on references that are a mixture of carbo and sinensis, and goes on saying "Habitat in Europa; nidificat in altis arboribus". The application of this name was restricted by Hartert 1920 (without any lectotypification) to "die an Felsen nistende Form des nordatlantischen Ozeans" (the rock-nesting form from the North Atlantic Ocean), and this restriction is generally accepted (eg., Mayr & Cottrell 1979; albeit it is not really Code-compliant, and in direct contradiction of the OD, which states explicitly that Pelecanus Carbo nests in trees). Marion & Le Gentil apparently assumed that carbo would remain with British birds in case of split, but this is far from clear; even if Hartert's restriction is accepted, it might as well be argued that British birds are the ones that would need to be described as a new subspecies.
- Whether Marion & Le Gentil's "N group" is "more closely related to the Japanese or Temminck’s Cormorant Phalocrocorax capillatus" cannot be assessed from the trees they published, because these trees only include sequences from carbo and capillatus, without any outgroup. I've joined a tree based on their sequences that I retrieved from GenBank, to which I added sequences from four other taxa, taken from other studies. As far as can be judged, capillatus falls quite clearly outside carbo.

Attachments

• Phalacrocorax.Dloop.pdf
    4.4 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
We have a few colonies of inland nesting cormorant in derbyshire that nest in willow or carr I have over the Years Seen a number of cormorants showing different and varying amounts of white on the head and face and sometimes into the spring months being present showing these features, in land in derbyshire following the local River.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back