• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Contrasting the Viper 8x32 HD with the Vortex 8x42 Diamondback (1 Viewer)

idaho john

Yesterday I took the Diamondback (8x42) and the Viper HD (8x32) and went birding after a recent snowstorm.

They both did well - but I have noticed that the Diamondback has more pronounced discoloration (the only word that I can think of) towards the edge of the field and an apparent ring that is out of focus around the edge of the field of view. And for the first time, I noticed faint tinges of green, blue and sometimes yellow around birds.

The viper HD was better - a noticeable increase in brightness - but still displayed both the discoloration and the out of focus band - but the center view was sharper than the diamondback and the available field (and by that I mean the view that was in focus) appeared larger to me. There was no "false color" apparent around the birds viewed.

I am getting to the point where I prefer 8 power over my 10 power despite my earler assertions to the contrary. The difference is subtle and I really miss the bigger view at times, but the trade off of more field of view is hard to let go of. I find it more relaxing over an afternoon of use.

Another result of this very brief test is that I remain very pleased with the Diamondback despite the visual issues I noted. Alot of value for the little amount of money I spent.

I like the Viper HD quite a bit. I cannot give it the superlatives I may have used in the past (best glass ever!, or the sharpest view I have ever seen!, etc), and to be fair it is not as good a glass as my ego demands at times, but it makes birdwatching very pleasureable. I would like to do a better review of the 8x32 Viper HD but do not know the right terminology to use and am suspicious that I am not really willing to invest the time it would take to do it right.

The same thing I said about the Diamondback - alot of value for the little amount of money I spent - applies equally as well to the Viper HD. It is a well designed binocular - within the x32 format - for my purposes.

John

Last edited:
John, by "ring of discoloration" do you mean a uniform yellowish or weak tea tint? Is the black edge of field sharp or fuzzy?

and...

RJM, I don't know how to answer that. Closer to the edge there is a darkening effect, it is not distracting unless I look for it. Part of what I am experiencing may be the result of reading too many posts and opinions here in the binocular section, which is to say that these "issues" are things that I would not have noticed unless someone pointed them out.

I am sorry if this was not helpful.

John

I also have noticed a "yellowish" ring around birds in somewhat low light conditions (i.e. cloudy day) with the Diamondbacks... I just saw this post and thought I would bring that issue back up.

Soon enough, I will be joining you, John, in getting the same sibling pair of binoculars. I have had the Diamondback 8x42s for a few years now and while they are really nicely designed, I've found them dimmer/yellower (same as cbrownin) during twilight than a less expensive pair of Altas Radian 8x42s. Still, they are a nice pair of binoculars and are my second favorite pair, next to my Altas Intrepid ED 10x42s. Now I have Viper 8x32 HD coming to take its place in between both these bins. They should be smaller and lighter, easier to travel with, and brighter. I'll put up my review when I have them for a bit.

Soon enough, I will be joining you, John, in getting the same sibling pair of binoculars. I have had the Diamondback 8x42s for a few years now and while they are really nicely designed, I've found them dimmer/yellower (same as cbrownin) during twilight than a less expensive pair of Altas Radian 8x42s. Still, they are a nice pair of binoculars and are my second favorite pair, next to my Altas Intrepid ED 10x42s. Now I have Viper 8x32 HD coming to take its place in between both these bins. They should be smaller and lighter, easier to travel with, and brighter. I'll put up my review when I have them for a bit.

And I will be looking forward to your review!

John

And I will be looking forward to your review!

John

Hi John: Just posted this review today on the Vipers:
http://www.birdforum.net/reviews/showproduct.php?product=413

I think you and I are in general agreement about the differences between them, but, like you, I don't have all the objective metrics to technically evaluate binoculars, in spite of my apparent obsession with them. What I did find though in using them was that they are light enough that they don't really need a harness to keep them from swinging as I walk unlike my 10x42 Atlas Intrepid EDs (which I really love).

As you can see, I am rounding out my collection with a great binocular to fit each size/use--I am sorely tempted on wanting a Zeiss Terra 8x42 to compare to/replace the Diamondbacks, but I'm sure there's a drug treatment for this insanity somewhere....

and...

no 12 step program that I am aware of for binocular addicts...

Consequences? Yes... Treatment? No...

I read your review and it was nicely done.

Good luck with the management of your binocular obsession!

John

It would be easy for me to get addicted to binoculars. As I read the reviews and comments I find myself not so concerned about costs.
However, when my "better judgment" takes over I am not convinced that for most use the expensive bins offer enough advantage to be worth the cost.

For MANY years my passion was hunting big game, including sheep, goats, bear, moose, deer, antelope, and elk, etc. I only have owned 2 pair of binoculars; Bushnell 8x30 purchased in 1958 and Bushnell 7X26 Custom Compacts purchased in the late 1960s. I never found a lack definition or light gathering ability for my use.

In the early 1960s the Leitz Trinovid came out and a friend bought a pair. I think they were around $400, but not sure. They were very expensive in those days for most of us. Three of us were hunting and sat on a mountain side and compared our bins. I had my Bushnell 8x30 and each of us agreed that they were as sharp and useful as the Leitz.

If I were still hunting today I might go for a pair of Vortex Viper 8x32. Large, bulky, and heavy binoculars were not satisfactory for me since some of my hunting was getting our of a plane in a river bed and climbing and hunting for a week or so with everything on my back. Ounces really count then, at least for me even in top condition.

I would not carry a pair of 10x40s of any brand even if given to me, and do not believe that anything could be done to make a pair worth $1,000. I admit I have never seen a pair, but what more could I need than something that gives enough definition and light gathering ability to identify my game before and after legal hunting time. I did carry a 20X spotting scope for trophy evaluation. It was a Bushnell Sentry which I still have. I found that higher powers suffered from mirage problems so were not very usable much of the day.

I realize that birding is very different and more power might be needed and larger objectives to identify and see features in poor light.

I received my Vortex Vanquish 8x26 bins a few days ago and they are a good replacement for my Bushnell Custom Compacts, which I broke. However, without comparing side by side I don't really see they are better even after all these years.

I am enjoying the discussions here, and appreciate the help I have been given. Thanks.

Regards,
Jerry

So I took my 8x32 Viper HDs out today around Golden Gate Park, trying to decide which pair I was going to bring with me on my upcoming trip to Alaska; the Vortex or the Nikon 8x32 SE.

The Nikons are optically purer and sharper and have a huge 3D quality that I just love but I was surprised to conclude that they are not the ones I will be taking with me.

These Vipers are just more versatile and convenient. Closer focus, easy twist-up eye-cups that make glass wearers like me not have to fuss with the fold-down rubber ones (the SEs forced me to plan on either wearing my glasses or not so that I'd need to fold and unfold their eye-cups accordingly). Finally, the compact size and worry-free construction is what sold me. No worries about the waterproof or fogging unlike the Nikon.

Oh: and the biggest single reason the Viper wins over the SE is probably because I don't see the blacking out on the Vipers the way I do on the Nikons.

Sure I can get around this, but fussing about correct eye placement at the last second when a bird is on the wing is the last thing I want when I want a quick spotting. And the Vipers came through much more in this regard than the SEs.

I do see CA on the Vipers with high contrast situations but generally is not a big issue for my birding or wildlife viewing. I know John has decided to part with his, but these are going to stay with me, even though I know that the Nikons are, in many regards, better.

Practicality when I travel (this time) has won out. I simply could not see myself traveling with my 10x42s for whale/wildlife watching and both the SEs and the Vipers. In fact, I am hoping that the Vipers will prove to be so useful that they might be my primary travel pair and the large, bulky 10x42s will also stay home.

And a note: Now that I have 3 8X bins, I was considering selling my 8x42 Diamondbacks but they have found home in my car as high quality "beater bins"--any my car stays out of the hot sun virtually all the time--so I am happy to have them. They are really nicely designed, with a wealth of features at their price-point that make them worth holding onto.

I usually prefer the view through one of my many porros but when traveling often opt for a roof as you have. Makes it much easier when I share the binos with my wife due to the roofs twist up eyecups (she wears glasses and I don't).

My 7x42 EDG is usually the roof taken although on the last overnighter I took my 6x32 Viper HD. With its small size and very close focus the Viper HD is a damn near perfect travel companion.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back