• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Simple question (1 Viewer)

black crow

Is the difference between the Action line and the Aculon line a difference in optical quality or just that one is waterproof/fogproof and the other not?

. Being at the lower end of the price range but having a very good reputation the Nikon action VII is usually really very good.
But at this price there will be a variation from one sample to the next.
In fact this happens at any price.
I've probably tested about 10 of the Nikon action VII and none have been bad.

With the aculon I have not seen or tested any.
But I would think that performance is probably similar.
Again there will be a variation between individual samples.
So it is not realistic if one only tests one of these to know how the average one performs.

I would be happy with either model and if the earlier action VII was considerably cheaper I would still go with that.
I have had no need to try the new version but would be happy to buy one sight unseen.

. The Nikon action EX is supposedly waterproof. maybe slightly heavier than the Nikon action VII
The price of these has lately reduced in Britain. But it is still considerably more expensive than the Nikon action VII.
I have thought of buying the Nikon action EX 12×50 for astronomy but again I have had no real need for this.

In the USA all of these Nikons are usually cheaper than in Britain.

Great. I'm just going to use it (16x50) off my upper deck occasionally with a tripod when I don't want to use my spotting scope. Not looking for amazing but just reasonably adequate.

. The one 16×50 Nikon action VII that I've tested is quite good especially for the price.
This came with a free tripod adapter whereas the lower magnification ones I think did not include the tripod adapter.
from memory it has some chromatic aberration but the resolution was quite good.

I use the 10 times to 22×50 Nikon action for observing star clusters and Jupiter and Saturn's rings.
I use it at 22 times.
It has a great deal of chromatic aberration at 22 times but I ignore this and again for the price it is okay.
I can just see the gap between Saturn's Globe and the rings and just about see Jupiters Equatorial Belt/s.
It is particularly good for star clusters.

The 16×50 is much better for your use.

. The main thing to look for with a 16×50 binocular is that it is well collimated.
It is more difficult to collimate a 16×50 than say an 8×40.
These Nikon binoculars are usually okay although of about the 10 single magnification binoculars I tested I think one 8×40 was slightly out of collimation but usable.
Also the star images in some of them were slightly astigmatic but this was not noticeable terrestrially. And for the price they are generally very good.

Didn't notice that. But too late as I ordered a pair. Fortunately I don't use eye glasses.

Edit: I was able to cancel the order. I thought that I might like others to use them so I'll get the Action instead. Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
. The Nikon action VII also does not have long eye relief. They are not really suited for somebody who wears glasses.
However, if you don't wear glasses you should be fine and if you wish others to use a binocular if they wear glasses they will need a binocular with longer eye relief.

I had this problem when I got an 8×40 Nikon action VII for my cousin and it had to be changed I think to a Nikon sporter.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back