• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scope - demonstration vs regular item (1 Viewer)

jurek

A simple question: what is the difference between a demonstration scope and a normal specimen? How to tell the item was a demonstration item? Is it OK to buy?

Hi jurek,

as I have written before, sample variation is a thing even with alpha scopes and you want to be able to test the scope you want to buy... be it in a brick and mortar store before buying the example you tested (if it was good) or online from a store with a no questions asked return policy...

If you manage to get a discount in the brick and mortar store for buying the good demo unit, bonus points for you...

Joachim

Last edited:
I bought Pentax own 100mm f/12 refractor demonstrator.

It is essentially perfect.

It was on display in a camera shop for several years.

I couldn't afford the 1980s price of £2,000 plus, so I went in person to the Pentax importer and said I could afford £250 in cash.

The boss looked carefully through the various years write down values and to my amazement said Yes.

I said I would go and get the money and bring it to him.

He said no and I should take the money and give it to the shop owner.

The shop owner was furious, but Pentax had given him instructions, which he had to follow.

I put the scope in a taxi and took it home.

If a demonstrator is actually in use, it is likely to be good, certainly not bad.
It is probably better than an average boxed example.

However, buying a demonstrator remotely is a different kettle of fish.
It may be faulty.

My Pentax had one eyepiece missing and also the solar projection screen, but minor problems.
The eyepieces were noted for being the best except maybe the Zeiss Abbe eyepieces.

I would certainly prefer a tested demonstrator, with no obvious faults, than a boxed anything.

I saw a customer buy a cheaply offered demonstrator video camera.
He went to the bank, got the money, and was handed the bag containing the expensive video camera.
He came back in the shop after this transaction outside the shop, because the bag wouldn't open.
It was sewn shut.
When he eventually unpicked the thread, he found that he had purchased one house brick for a lot of money.
The thief was long gone, but I saw her sometimes roaming the street.

Regards,
B.

A simple question: what is the difference between a demonstration scope and a normal specimen? How to tell the item was a demonstration item? Is it OK to buy?
A demonstration scope is usually a scope that a physical store has setup for customers to look at and try out in the store. As opposed to a scope from the same store that is fully boxed up and has never been opened or tested out by someone.

Often times a physical store will sell their demonstration scopes for slightly less because they have been handled by people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back