• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

    Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fieldscopes (1 Viewer)

Hi does anyone know the difference between the "old" mk2 and mk3 fieldscope? Are they both waterproof and are the optics any better on the 3? I,m looking go buy one and set up a digiscoping arrangement so they must be HD. Thanks
The 3 is waterproof the 2 isn't. Optically they're pretty much identical. Definitely go for ED - red ring around objective housing.
So i just bought a fieldscope with x30 eyepiece, am i missing something here? Eyepiece doesnt seem to twist out or pull out, just odd


  • 20240207_194600.jpg
    935.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 20240207_194535.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 39

it should hopefully unscrew if you grab the thin part with the made in japan inscription - if needs be with a rubber padded water pump wrench and not too much force...

Btw, are there any more inscriptions on the other side of the EP barrel?

A bit difficult to tell from the photos, but ... This looks like the lower part of the Nikon Digiscoping Adapter is still attached to the scope. The "eyecup" looks like someone attached it to the adapter in order not to have to unscrew the whole adapter when switching between observing and taking photos. What's missing is the top part of the adapter that attaches to the camera.

What to do: Grab die ribbed part with one hand and the smooth tube right above it (i.s. below the "rubber eyecup") with the other. These parts should unscrew quite easily. Don't use a wrench! After you unscrewed the top half you have to take off the eyepiece to slide the lower part (with the ribbed ring) off the eyepiece. THEN you can twist out the eyecup as usual.

Sorry, I've got the adapter but I can't find it right now. Otherwise I could have take a few photos how that adapter attaches to the eyepiece. Hope that makes sense.

to me it looks like some one has tried an eyepiece from a different manufacturer,possible a different thread?? ,
A bit difficult to tell from the photos, but ... This looks like the lower part of the Nikon Digiscoping Adapter is still attached to the scope.
No, it doesn't. Found my old adapter, and that's not what the pictures show.

Try to take better pictures, also from the side.

This is the eyepiece, theres a tiny grub screw which i undid but didnt help


  • 20240208_163553.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 20240208_163533.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • 20240208_163521.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • 20240208_163408.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
This appears to be a Nikon 20/30/38 MC Wide eyepiece. This is probably my favorite of all the fieldscope eyepieces and one of the hardest to get. Unfortunately it appears on your sample that somebody has removed the twist-up eyecup and modified it for digiscoping purposes. If you can manage to modify (or unmodify I suppose) this eyepiece for viewing purposes you will have one of the finest midsize/compact scoping setups around.

Users who are viewing this thread