• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waterproof compacts 8x25 or 10x25 for kids (1 Viewer)

I've got a pair of Opticron Discovery 8x32 DWCF.GA for summer use. They are light, waterproof, focus down to just over a metre and come with a rainguard. I'm not sure of the IPD but I've lent them to 6-7 year olds, who've had no problem using them.

I wonder if anybody has tried these little Nikon Aculon T01 8x21 binoculars?

Can't tell if they are water proof but they look like they might have a narrow IPD and small kids should be able to use them...

Minimum IPD is 56mm, so not any better than most bins.

--AP

I've got a pair of Opticron Discovery 8x32 DWCF.GA for summer use. They are light, waterproof, focus down to just over a metre and come with a rainguard. I'm not sure of the IPD but I've lent them to 6-7 year olds, who've had no problem using them.

Now those are special. They have minimum IPD of 52 mm and are, to my knowledge, the only alternative to Zeiss with regard to that spec in an 8x32 roof prism. The price is higher than most would pay for a kid's bin, but they are the one I would get if I were getting another low IPD bin for kids or as a loaner. The spec are superb (esp. IPD and weight), the focus knob is likely easier to reach and turn than the Yosemite, and close focus is much much better than Yosemite. I presume the optics are acceptable.

--AP

Now those are special. They have minimum IPD of 52 mm and are, to my knowledge, the only alternative to Zeiss with regard to that spec in an 8x32 roof prism. The price is higher than most would pay for a kid's bin, but they are the one I would get if I were getting another low IPD bin for kids or as a loaner. The spec are superb (esp. IPD and weight), the focus knob is likely easier to reach and turn than the Yosemite, and close focus is much much better than Yosemite. I presume the optics are acceptable.

--AP

I paid £114 for them ( I know they 'usually' retail at about £150 in the UK ) which is a give away price when you compare them with alphas. As I mentioned, I bought them for summer use but, I used them this February during a survey in the Nemuro Straits off Hokkaido, Japan because they were small enough to tuck inside my lifejacket, and they performed superbly ( considering the price ) in dull, overcast and rather murky conditions. :t:

Last edited:
Interesting, I did not even know such things existed. I agree 5x would be just fine for starters. But looking at the pictures, these xtra wide models don't seem to be very child-friendly in size.

More importantly, I think they could only be found on the auction sites? I do find the fix-focos 4x30 being offered, but I'm not convinced that's what I want. Too heavy and bulky for my liking. Waiting a bit longer and then go for the Yosemite would look more sensible in this case.

I understand the 5x is discontinued leaving the 4x30 which is widely available. It is an odd shape but the light weight of 14.5 ounces, huge fov and very large exit pupils would contribute to it being easy to use by kids. I think if the bins deliver a decent image and require minimal adjustments the kids will spend more time seeing wildlife up close. They are not waterproof however.

..........the light weight of 14.5 ounces...... contribute to it being easy to use by kids. .........They are not waterproof however.

14.5 oz is not exactly light weight for kids, I think. And knowing my grandchildren, the binoculars need to be weatherproof if not waterproof.

14.5 oz is not exactly light weight for kids, I think. And knowing my grandchildren, the binoculars need to be weatherproof if not waterproof.

I think you are selling them short, a 9 year old would drag a 20 oz bottle of soda to hell and back with nary a complaint.

Minimum IPD

On some of the double-hinged models I notice IPD values of "56-72" indicated on web sites (example:http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/compa...-USA_671412-REG_425810-REG_910848-REG/ci/1010) .
It has always been my understanding that these models allow for much narrower IPDs. Do I miss a point, like that focussing is no longer possible when one folds the models a bit more?

It is certainly no problem on the four models I own ("cheapo" Sportoculars 7x18, EO Triumph 8x25, Leica Trinovid 8x20, Leica Ultravid 10x25). So I suspect faulty specs caused by careless copying of equally faulty manufacturer blurbs.

Last edited:
Last edited:
...I suspect faulty specs caused by careless copying of equally faulty manufacturer blurbs.

I've noticed the same thing, and that is the explanation I favor.

As for minimum IPD under 56mm in reverse-porros, such models are quite rare. I recall that some past models from Olympus and Nikon could be adjusted below 56mm. In the case of Nikon, it was the 7x21 Sprint, maybe versions 1 and II, which got down to 54 mm.

--AP

This is an interesting thread.. I am about to visit three nieces aged 4.5, and other two just turned 9 and 11.

I would like to give them binoculars as we will be on Santa Catalina for a week, but I don't want to spend much at all as they may get bored in 5 minutes and 3 x bored = expensive. I am considering these.... very cheap [$20] but this review seems like they are just about ok as something to see if there is any interest...

http://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/blog/bresser-6x21-junior-binoculars-for-kids-10/

This is an interesting thread.. I am about to visit three nieces aged 4.5, and other two just turned 9 and 11.

I would like to give them binoculars as we will be on Santa Catalina for a week, but I don't want to spend much at all as they may get bored in 5 minutes and 3 x bored = expensive. I am considering these.... very cheap [$20] but this review seems like they are just about ok as something to see if there is any interest...

http://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/blog/bresser-6x21-junior-binoculars-for-kids-10/

If you are looking to buy at this end of the market Sportsman usually have a variety of discontinued, ex-bankrupt or dead stock of various brands and specs., mostly very low quality or disposable, and if you don't take it seriously just fun for kids. I'm sure someone may help you pick through any possibles. Ring and friendly haggle if buying in threes :

http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/category/Optics/Binoculars/v-list/s-priceasc/r-51/

Last edited:
Olympus WP II 8x25?

..........Well, here is my short-list for the moment, all of them 8x25, double hinged and waterproof, apparently:

- Opticron Adverturer DCF: FOV 133m/1000m, CF 3m
- Nikon Sportstar EX: FOV 143m/1000m, CF 2.5m
- Nikon Trailblazer ATB: FOV 429ft/1000y, CF 8.2ft
- Pentax DCF SW: FOV 288ft (!)/1000y, CF 9.8 ft
- Olympus WP II: FOV 108m (!)/1000m, CF 1.5m
- Tasco Sierra TS825: FOV 117m/1000m, CF =?! nowhere to be found

At this point, I tend to favor the first three. But I'd be interested in comments on all of them if you have first-hand experiences. Optical and mechanical quality is of particular interest.

I'm back after a less than enthusiastic reaction from my grandchildren. Guess they have other priorities at the moment.

So here I go again for a colleague's kid. Is there anybody who has some experience with the OLYMPUS WP II 8x25? With a FOV of only 108m/1000m it does not exactly shine in that respect. Though reading some internet reviews, most people don't seem to bother. What I have seen mentioned is a less than optimal focus mechanism. Yet these same people still give it five stars out of five. So I'd be interested in first-hand experiences.

On the positive side, this is a relatively light-weight model, and it has the best close focus of those listed above. Additionally, eye relief is apparently sufficient (15 mm) for those who need to keep their glasses on.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back