• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice on 8x25 or 8x28 (or similar) with tethered objective caps and ocular caps (rainguard) (1 Viewer)

LucaPCP

Happy User
I am looking for a not-too-expensive but decent 8x25 (or similar) binocular with tethered objective caps and rainguard/ocular caps.
The purpose would be for mountain biking: I plan to attach them to a Rick Young harness, and I need a model with caps that are tethered, work well and are easy to remove.
The fact is that when mountain biking there are splashes, dust, etc, so it would be good to be able to carry the binoculars with caps closed while biking, and then open the caps for observation.

I am looking at the Kowa 8x25 BD25-8, which comes with "push on caps", but it's not clear to me if the caps are properly tethered.
Are there any others I should consider? Vortex Diamondback HD 8x25?
Given the application, I would prefer to contain the cost and weight. When I go specifically for birdwatching, I can carry my good 8x32 and I ride more carefully...

Many thanks for any advice!

Last edited:
I've just gone from 8x25's back to 8x20 for out 'n' about binos.
8x25's were just a tad too big, and I didn't always take them.
The smaller the better. Try Trinovid 8x20.... you won't know they are in your pocket.
Any other time I will use my full size bins, so I will put up with the awkwardness of 8x20's for the convenience, and the fact they will always be with me.

Is there no after-market solution that allows you to securely attach objective covers to a bin? Even if budget is a consideration, I wouldn't want to limit myself optically based on the function of accessories. I would try to make the latter work with the former.

Good luck, and let us know how the tethered pouch works out for you.

I attached a LowePro Dashpoint 20 pouch (Dashpoint 20, Galaxy Blue) to the binocular harness, and it worked great! That pouch can hold my Zeiss Terra 8x25, or my Leica 8x20. It's actually much better protection than caps, as it protects the binoculars from rain, splashes of mud, etc. It's also quite fast to take the binoculars out of the pouch for viewing. It's a sort of self-made bino-harness, for small binoculars. Works perfectly with the Rick Young harness. I will definitely be using this also when cross-country skiing or similar: the whole thing is very light, the binoculars are well protected yet very accessible, they don't dangle... I am very satisfied with the solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back