• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Italy - birding and other wildlife (1 Viewer)

Ghostly Vision

Hi all,

My wife and I will be visiting Italy from 25th April - 7th May this year, and are looking for advice on good birding. Although not a full-on birding holiday, I do have four target species:

Lanner, Wallcreeper, Eagle owl and Rock Partridge. In addition, I would like to see the lilfordii race of White-backed woodpecker.

These are the only four birds I "need" in Italy, so I will be targeting places most suitable.

I am aware form another thread, and it is well-known anyway that the NE, Alps and Sicily are the best areas, but I am certain that all four of these species can be seen in Abruzzo NP and the Gargano peninsular. I am hoping someone will be able to point me to more specific areas if possible.

The trip is also a chance for me to catch up on any decent Butterflies and Orchids of the area. Our route is going to start in Rome, going as far south as Gargano, across to Napoli and then on to Sardinia and Corsica, then back onto the mainland as far north and east as Firenze.

All tips and help welcome anyway - whether it be food, accommodation, travel, anything.

Thanks in advance.

Sean

One place is Roccalbegna, a village not far from Siena. There is nature reserve with lanners and other pair of lanners are breeding on the cliffs just above the village.

Here lives Riccardo Nardi, e-mail [email protected]. We went there last year, he was great person (he can watch breeding lanners from his garden), he also took us to the Rock Partridge place but we did not see any (but Rock Thrushes, Scops Owls etc. we got).

The problem is, that I forgotten the name of reserve. It is WWF reserve. There should be reserve webpage with RN phone and it is better to call him from Italy. Possibly name is Bosco Rocconi?

jurek said:
One place is Roccalbegna, a village not far from Siena. There is nature reserve with lanners and other pair of lanners are breeding on the cliffs just above the village.
Here lives Riccardo Nardi, e-mail [email protected]. We went there last year, he was great person (he can watch breeding lanners from his garden), he also took us to the Rock Partridge place but we did not see any (but Rock Thrushes, Scops Owls etc. we got).
The problem is, that I forgotten the name of reserve. It is WWF reserve. There should be reserve webpage with RN phone and it is better to call him from Italy. Possibly name is Bosco Rocconi?

The official website of the Bosco Rocconi reserve is:
http://www.wwftoscana.it/rocconi.asp
Itinerary and map:
http://www.lemacinaie.it/natura/mappe/roccalbegna-rocchette-sempr.jpg
Cheers
Menotti Passarella
www.birdingitaly.net

watcha Sean boy

just got back from there

try emailing touty or Steve Cuckooroller

don't need any of those birds so i was just kicking back really but i think Rock Partridge may be difficult. Managed them on Mount Olympus in Greece a few years back but i think they are tricky in Italy. Had a nice Eagle Owl though

the Where do you want to go birding website is very good

Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back