Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Loch Garten Ospreys

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 31st March 2005, 16:52   #1
A CHAPLIN

Talking Loch Garten Ospreys

Hi everyone,

Just had to write and tell you all the world famous Osprey EJ arrived back at Loch Garten on Tuesday. I am over the moon, now for Henry to arrive home too. Please all have a drink on me. I looked at the camera about 7.00 am this morning and thought is it? or has someone put a cardboard cutout up there to fool me?. No our famous lady is home. The Warden's diary can be found at

http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guid...iary/index.asp

and from there are links to the two cameras watching he nest. Superb pictures, but no-one at home just now although the sun is shining which is more than it is in Lancashire it is grey and drizzling.

Welcome home EJ from your biggest fan.

Ann
Old Thursday 31st March 2005, 17:59   #2
DKR
Northern Refugee

Question Bassenthwaite

Any news on the Cumbrian birds?
Old Thursday 31st March 2005, 19:36   #3
Sandra (Taylor)
BF Supporter 2019

Smile EJ/Henry

Hi Ann- isn't it wonderful news. Just logged in and read the diary. To fly all that way and come back to the same nest in the same tree etc... But that goes for all migrating birds doesn't it? The wardens and volunteers will be over the moon. Would like to be up there in that hide this weekend, but we are going to Dumfries & Galloway instead! And I won't have a website. Hope Henry's back when we are!

EJ's second biggest fan

Sandra

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 31st March 2005, 21:14   #4
A CHAPLIN

Hi Sandra,

I am a sad old lady I have been watching the web cam all weekend looking at an empty nest. I couldn't believe it this morning when I had a quick look about 7.00 am before going to work and there she was bold as brass sat looking at me I thought someone was playing a joke on me. Obviously not, as Andrew's diary revealed.

I think they must be the most famous pair in the world what do you think?

DKR - 2 Ospreys were seen at Bassenthwaite on the 30th but they were not the resident birds. If I remember correctly there were rumours of other birds in the Lake District last year but I could not verify the facts. I wonder if some of the previous young ones have now returned or are they birds passing through on their way to Scotland? Seems a bit strange though thinking about it surely they would use the east coast route wouldn't they from Africa. We will just have to wait and see.

Sandra, you can be sure I will be watching (when I am at home that is and it is daylight, thank goodness they have an extra hour to us). Of course, he will wait until I am not watching. Enjoy your trip up to Dumfries and Galloway it is lovely round there.

Ann

Last edited by A CHAPLIN : Thursday 31st March 2005 at 21:16. Reason: typo
Old Thursday 31st March 2005, 22:06   #5
DKR
Northern Refugee

Arrow Cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by A CHAPLIN
DKR - 2 Ospreys were seen at Bassenthwaite on the 30th but they were not the resident birds. If I remember correctly there were rumours of other birds in the Lake District last year but I could not verify the facts. I wonder if some of the previous young ones have now returned or are they birds passing through on their way to Scotland? Seems a bit strange though thinking about it surely they would use the east coast route wouldn't they from Africa. We will just have to wait and see.

Ann
Thanks, guess the wait is still on. The Cumbria Breeding Bird Atlas says three pairs had clutches in 2001 but monitoring was difficult because of foot and mouth. At one of the sites it seems one of the Ospreys was later found dead. Obviously information is scarce but at least we have the Bassenthwaite ospreys to 'support'.

DKR - Living in Kent but home is Cumbria
Old Thursday 31st March 2005, 23:59   #6
Mad_BMS

[quote= Would like to be up there in that hide this weekend, but we are going to Dumfries & Galloway instead!
Sandra[/QUOTE]

Sandra

Hope you get better weather than we had there (D&G) 2 weeks ago the weather was so bad at the RSPB Mersehead they had not seen their 9000 geese that day. However the RSPB chap suggested we go to Lauriston near RSPB Ken Marsh site where a farm has a feeding station for Red Kites great view even in the rain of more than 10 kites feeding on the wing in a gale. Will visit again in more photographic weather. Have a good trip.

Tom

BF Supporter 2005 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 4th April 2005, 14:15   #7
Paul F

Is this the male osprey returned?

Looked at the Garten webcams earlier today and saw 2 Ospreys on the nest. Looked again a few minutes later and saw what looks like mating.
Is Henry back? If so I think it's exactly the same day he returned last year. No comments yet in the warden's diary. Photos attached. Have a look and tell me what you think.

Paul F
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	couple.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	18889  Click image for larger version

Name:	x rated.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	18890  
Old Monday 4th April 2005, 16:22   #8
Tiger_mz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul F
Looked at the Garten webcams earlier today and saw 2 Ospreys on the nest. Looked again a few minutes later and saw what looks like mating.
Is Henry back? If so I think it's exactly the same day he returned last year. No comments yet in the warden's diary. Photos attached. Have a look and tell me what you think.

Paul F
Looks like EJ is having some early season adultry like last year. That bird has an orange ring!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	osprey0006.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	18895  
Old Monday 4th April 2005, 16:59   #9
Paul F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger_mz
Looks like EJ is having some early season adultry like last year. That bird has an orange ring!
Pleased you spotted that I couldn't work the ring out - must be orange VS. That was the male she mated with early in the season last year.
Paul F
Old Monday 4th April 2005, 17:11   #10
Tiger_mz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul F
Pleased you spotted that I couldn't work the ring out - must be orange VS. That was the male she mated with early in the season last year.
Paul F
Yes but we know that the mate of Orange VS viz. Green7B is already back as was reported on the Loch Garten site some time ago.

Wonder if that is another divorce!
Old Tuesday 5th April 2005, 11:27   #11
Sandra (Taylor)
BF Supporter 2019

Dumfries & Galloway

Weather was good Sat/Sun/Mon. Visited Calaeverock twice & Mersehead twice. Hundreds geese at both. Loved the sound when they were disturbed - wheeling about in the sky. Phoned our son on my mobile from a hide so he could listen to them! Sad, eh?

Saw kites from near Lauriston but not at the feeding station. 100c black-tailed godwits at Caelaverock made a good spectacle with many in summer plumage. Bird of the weekend - golden eagle!! At sea level! Feeding on a gull carcass in a field! Watched it for 20 mins.

Had over 70 birds in 3 days.

(Wish Henry would come back to Boat of Garten, Ann)

Sandra

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 5th April 2005, 17:14   #12
Tiger_mz

There has been an update of the diary at Loch Garten. It has Orange VS pairing up with EJ and Henry is nowhere to be seen!

Worst of all EJ is playing along!
Old Saturday 9th April 2005, 14:59   #13
kas

Does anyone know if Henry has returned ?

There is 2 birds present on the webcam.
Are these EJ and Orange VS or EJ and Henry?

The diary hasnt been updated for a few days now, so Im not syre what is happening.
Old Saturday 9th April 2005, 15:28   #14
Tiger_mz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas
Does anyone know if Henry has returned ?

There is 2 birds present on the webcam.
Are these EJ and Orange VS or EJ and Henry?

The diary hasnt been updated for a few days now, so Im not syre what is happening.
I think it is EJ and Orange VS although I have had a suspicion that Henry may be around too.

It is a pity they do not update the diary more often. It has been five days now.
Old Saturday 9th April 2005, 16:29   #15
kas

Thanks for that.

If you hadnt noticed the orange ring, I would have been thinking the male was Henry.

Hopefully we'll get a update soon.
Old Sunday 10th April 2005, 15:41   #16
Sandra (Taylor)
BF Supporter 2019

Updated Diary

I hope the RSPB take note of the comments about the diary. If it is to be of interest it really should be updated more often than, say, weekly. I'm sure the staff at Loch Garten are very busy but I understand they send the text to HQ to be put on the website. Maybe I'm wrong.

Sandra

Old Sunday 10th April 2005, 16:20   #17
Tiger_mz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra (Taylor)
I hope the RSPB take note of the comments about the diary. If it is to be of interest it really should be updated more often than, say, weekly. I'm sure the staff at Loch Garten are very busy but I understand they send the text to HQ to be put on the website. Maybe I'm wrong.

Sandra
Yes it seems crazy that in a time of so much technology that we might be better off with the Pony Express!
Old Monday 11th April 2005, 09:55   #18
Tiger_mz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra (Taylor)

Sandra
This pic shows that it is not Henry that is the male osprey!

So either Henry did not return or he could not oust Orange VS.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	osprey0015.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	19194  
Old Monday 11th April 2005, 20:12   #19
A CHAPLIN

Exclamation Loch Garten Ospreys Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger_mz
This pic shows that it is not Henry that is the male osprey!

So either Henry did not return or he could not oust Orange VS.
Hi Guys,

I have been in touch with Loch Garten who send their apologies they sent their data down the line to HQ but are now experiencing data line problems which are being looked into by BT. As soon as the problems are sorted a diary update will be posted.

The new guy on the block is Orange VS,who is 13 years of age, so no spring chicken. Not often seen as his favourite perch is out of sight of cameras. Unfortunately Henry has not been seen yet, so it doesn't look too good for him. A male bird was seen today in Henry's tree for about 10 seconds max. (I know it probaby won't be) but I am praying it is Henry it is his tree and no other Ospreys have been seen to use it. Please pray with me guys, I am daft I know but I miss that bird and hope nothing bad has happned to him, probably has though.

Tiger, I know you watch the webcams regularly, please please keep me up to date, especially if HE does return.

Thanks

Ann
Old Monday 11th April 2005, 21:00   #20
Tiger_mz

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I have been in touch with Loch Garten who send their apologies they sent their data down the line to HQ but are now experiencing data line problems which are being looked into by BT. As soon as the problems are sorted a diary update will be posted.

The new guy on the block is Orange VS,who is 13 years of age, so no spring chicken. Not often seen as his favourite perch is out of sight of cameras. Unfortunately Henry has not been seen yet, so it doesn't look too good for him. A male bird was seen today in Henry's tree for about 10 seconds max. (I know it probaby won't be) but I am praying it is Henry it is his tree and no other Ospreys have been seen to use it. Please pray with me guys, I am daft I know but I miss that bird and hope nothing bad has happned to him, probably has though.

Tiger, I know you watch the webcams regularly, please please keep me up to date, especially if HE does return.

Thanks

Ann
Yes I was begining to think that there had been a technical hitch.

However even the cams have frozen!

Orange VS must really have a thing for EJ. They were together as a couple in 2003 before another female ousted EJ. Then her came back to court EJ black year before being sent packing by Henry.

Mind you VS is suspect at fishing! His kids died last year :(
Old Monday 11th April 2005, 21:05   #21
A CHAPLIN

Hi Tiger,

Seems he has fed EJ half a fish now and then after eating himself, selfish male. He likes to fish the hard way out of the Loch he does not visit the local fish farm.

Ann
Old Tuesday 12th April 2005, 09:41   #22
carol poole

Quote:
Hi Tiger,

Seems he has fed EJ half a fish now and then after eating himself, selfish male. He likes to fish the hard way out of the Loch he does not visit the local fish farm.

Ann
that might not be a bad thing. i have seen two birds in that area with fishing line wrapped round there legs. they pick it up from the local trout farms
Old Friday 15th April 2005, 20:43   #23
kas

Has EJ laid her first egg ???????

She appears to be sitting on the nest, I have never seen her at this before.
Hopefully she has laid her first egg and it will be a successful season.

Its a pity no one has seen Henry though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	video1.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	19456  Click image for larger version

Name:	video4.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	19457  
Old Friday 15th April 2005, 21:14   #24
Tiger_mz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas
Has EJ laid her first egg ???????

She appears to be sitting on the nest, I have never seen her at this before.
Hopefully she has laid her first egg and it will be a successful season.

Its a pity no one has seen Henry though.
I was thinking the same thing myself.

No update of the diary though :(
Old Saturday 16th April 2005, 09:33   #25
Tiger_mz

egg

Yes there does seem to be an egg in the nest on what is a snowy morning. No sign of EJ though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	osprey0016.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	19464  
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: