• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Leica Ultravid "Edition Safari" Binoculars! (1 Viewer)

I'm curious....
is it an:
Ultravid;
Ultravid HD; or
Ultravid HD+ ???
If an Ultravid, why the ten year old technology?
If an Ultravid HD+, why not say so?

I've never quite understood "special edition" binoculars for extra money unless they are something extra OPTICALLY. Why would anyone buy that? Looks like just a plain old Ultravid...no HD...no HD Plus.

I've never quite understood "special edition" binoculars for extra money unless they are something extra OPTICALLY. Why would anyone buy that? Looks like just a plain old Ultravid...no HD...no HD Plus.

Chuck,

If you buy them all, you're the only one in the whole world with that model.
Now THAT would shoot the price through the roofo:)

On the front hinge cap, it says Made in Portugal. Caesar's BL also says Made in Portugal, but my Silverline says Made in Germany. You would think that the L line would be produced at one facility.

Buy one and look at the instruction manual that came with it. (I know: I'm being facetious;) ) The lens and prism coating information should be in it. It is in the manual I got with my Leica Ultravid 8x42 BL. It says it has the same coatings on it that are on the Ultravid HD.

Incidentally, I have read here that the higher priced Swarovski CL Special Edition "Africa"binoculars have water repellent coatings on their lenses which are not on the regular CLs.

Bob

Last edited:
On the front hinge cap, it says Made in Portugal. Caesar's BL also says Made in Portugal, but my Silverline says Made in Germany. You would think that the L line would be produced at one facility.

Why? There could be numerous business reasons involving the binoculars manufacturer to do this; financial and otherwise.

Bob

Last edited:
Even the new Trinovids are called HD, which may mean they are essentially Ultravid HD's in a less expensive body. If Leica is phasing out the basic Ultravid optics, there's a good chance that at some point all non HD+ 42mm Leicas, including the L line, will at least have UV HD optics.

https://us.leica-camera.com/Sport-Optics/Leica-Hunting/Binoculars/Leica-Trinovid-HD

the previous trinovids were perhaps ultravids,
the latest trinovids are a completely new design.

If the hinge cap of your Silverline say "Made in Germany", they probably put the hinge cap on in Germany ... ;)

Hermann

the previous trinovids were perhaps ultravids,
the latest trinovids are a completely new design.

The "old" Trinovids were so close optically to the Ultravid HD that I couldn't see any meaningful difference at all.

The "new" Trinovids are a different design, I agree with you there. I'm not saying they are better or worse, just that they're different.

Hermann

Chuck,

If you buy them all, you're the only one in the whole world with that model.
Now THAT would shoot the price through the roofo:)

Ok so $2800 US X 200 = $560,000 US worth of Leica Special Editions....Where do I place my order?? :smoke:

Let me see how my BP did today....

Buy one and look at the instruction manual that came with it. (I know: I'm being facetious;) ) The lens and prism coating information should be in it. It is in the manual I got with my Leica Ultravid 8x42 BL. It says it has the same coatings on it that are on the Ultravid HD.

Incidentally, I have read here that the higher priced Swarovski CL Special Edition "Africa"binoculars have water repellent coatings on their lenses which are not on the regular CLs.

Bob

So probably a Ultravid HD...

Swarovski does have a few catchy models of their special editions.... I kinda like the blue CL Companion Polaris 8X30 B

Attachments

• si58134.jpg
    si58134.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 104
just not like Leica....they always seemed to be the more "WELL GROUNDED" of the optics world....wonder if it comes with a certificate of authenticity.....

I think if Leica were to come out with an 8x42 leather model with HD+ optics, they would cost many hundreds more than they do now. Many many hundreds. But the people who buy these special editions probably collect them the way some people collect stamps, and probably already have HD+ binoculars. Because if all these special editions weren't selling, Leica wouldn't be making them. Imagine showing up at the races with your expensive green leather binoculars, only to be out done by someone with the red leather edition that cost $10,000. There are people who can afford to live like that. Not me, unfortunately.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back