• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

High frequency Raptor calls (1 Viewer)

GrahameNZ

Hi folks,
Does anyone have a link to some freq / time images of the high frequency part of raptor call.
I'm thinking above 20 kHz.
Any species.
I'm interested to see how they look.
Thanks
Grahame

Hi folks,
Does anyone have a link to some freq / time images of the high frequency part of raptor call.
I'm thinking above 20 kHz.
Any species.
I'm interested to see how they look.
Thanks
Grahame

Grahame,
Don't tell me you've rediscovered Haast's Eagle in Fiordland NP!:eek!::eek!:
MJB

I wish
Just a South Island Kokako would suit me :)
The reason I'm interested in the sonograms is we have a seriously pesky bird, Pukeko
http://www.nzbirdsonline.org.nz/species/pukeko
That is targeting a real scarce plant in a wetland that is my 2nd home.
I'm looking at ways to persuade it to use the other 116 ha and leave this little bit alone.
Thinking out of the box is the only way forward.
Electric fences, mesh cages etc not really a possibility.
Creating an audio contraption is not a problem.
I'm starting with trials of a dog whistle to see if I can find a freq that triggers a response from these intelligent feathered fiends.
As I said just thunkun out of the box.
Any thoughts appreciated on this :)
Grahame

Wouldn't Pukeko alarm calls ("yeeeow, I'm being eaten"), or territorial antagonism calls ("get out of here, this is my patch"), be better? Raptors are silent when hunting, so a Pukeko hearing a raptor call would think "it's not hunting, so I'm safe".

Yes Nutcracker,
I agree with your thinking.
Unfortunately with these birds they are scared of nothing and more likely to run to a fight than away.
Their main alarm signal is visual, a flick of the tail exposing a white set of feathers.
Bird semaphore.
I suspect I'm heading in another fruitless direction.
I will probably find a frequency that will get a reaction from them and they will come running to see what new thing is happening :)
They are real like able birds, but it would be nice if we can find a way to get them to stay out of this small area.

If you're googling for ways to discourage them, it would be worth including "swamphen" and "gallinule" in the search terms, as that's what they're called elsewhere. I've seen a swamp that's been worked over by Purple Swamphens in Australia, so I can understand the problem.

I don't like your chances of discouraging them with recordings. If that sort of thing worked then we wouldn't have farmers wanting to shoot birds that eat crops. If it works, they'll probably soon get used to it.

Why can't you fence it? Is it public land? Can you organise volunteers to shoo them away regularly?

Hi pshute,
I don't like the chances of recordings working either.
But if I don't try we will never know.
They are more likely to come running to something different rather than away.
Fencing not really feasible, it would require quite a large area fenced and high enough for people to walk comfortably underneath it.
People = entertainment, it's amazing how quick a group of onlookers turn up when we have a planting day etc.
When we move on they move in to see what chaos they can cause.
We've been coexisting for 20 plus years, it's just the last couple of years they have decided to become "pests"

Graeme, I know nuffink about NZ birds except that Kea's like to act like demolition crews at the local car park - thank god for hire cars ! :eek!: :-O o:D

Over here, birds respond differently to the different raptors, and even the modes they are in at the time. The universally snarky and nearly always present Noisy Miner or "Soldier Bird" has the benefit of being the eyes, ears, and voice of the 'lookout' protection network. They will see raptors before certainly you and I on most occasions, and indeed often, other birds too. They give out alarm calls according to threat level - escalating from Eagle, Harrier, Kite, through Hawk, and then Falcon, with a special hyper-level of freakouttedness for Peregrines.

Other birds too will give out calls and warnings, and take to the air, or flee/hide in whatever way, distressed, - Cockatoos, and Lorikeets at Eagles, and Square-tailed Kites, and Hawks ..... others like Wattlebirds, etc, will then join in, and of course everything just freaks out in general when there is a peregrine about.

I would think something analogous in your own backyard would be the go .....
* what species is (are) the most symbiotic warning bird(s) for the Pukeko? (could even include the Pukeko itself)
* what is (are) the worst (for the Pukeko's ongoing wellbeing :) predatory raptor(s)? (and what times of day, conditions, frequency, duration, directions etc, would be associated with them).

- Voila ! Play those distress calls/ fleeing behaviours (panicked flapping of wings to start, and calls) from those species and you should disrupt the Pukeko :t:

Chosun :gh:

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back