• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery bird. Distant photo. Mumbai, India (1 Viewer)

satyachil

Tally ho!
I caught this bird in a forest reserve sitting high atop a tree. This was the best I could do, I am afraid. The bird didnt move much and I had to unfortunately move away from the location.
Not much to go with but just in case someone could ID this.
Difficult to judge the size but perhaps in the 20 cm range.

Attachments

• DSCN3484 copy.jpg
    DSCN3484 copy.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 78
Hmm. Grimmet-Inskipp2 tells me that the Chestnut Shouldered Petronia is around 13.5 cm. Slightly smaller than a House Sparrow.
This bird was definitely quite larger than a House Sparrow.

Hmm. Grimmet-Inskipp2 tells me that the Chestnut Shouldered Petronia is around 13.5 cm. Slightly smaller than a House Sparrow.
This bird was definitely quite larger than a House Sparrow.

Size can be very difficult to judge in the field, especially if there are no reference points around a bird (like when it's sitting on the top of a tree).

André

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back