• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

song thrush behaving strangely (1 Viewer)

marnixR

WYSIWYG
earlier today i was walking along the Crumlin canal between Newport and Risca when i saw this song thrush on the other side of the canal

at first it was just standing there in a normal pose, but then it moved to a sandy patch on the opposite bank, spread out its wings and remained in that position for the rest of the time while i observed it

i must say that by assuming this posture the bird blended in well with the canal bank, but i wonder whether camouflage could be the sole reason for its behaviour

could it be to sun itself, or to dust its feathers, or some other reason that hasn't occurred to me ? whatever the case, is this a known behaviour for a song thrush, and if so, what does it mean ?

Attachments

• Img_8661.jpg
    Img_8661.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Img_8662.jpg
    Img_8662.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Img_8663.jpg
    Img_8663.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 35
i have heard about anting, but somehow i didn't connect the bird's behaviour at the time with the concept of anting

pleased to have witnessed it though

Agree, probably just sun bathing not anting. The two activities can be hard to distinguish sometimes, the birds going into the same coma-like state in both cases.

Ah well. Thought it was an old ants nest, but yes, presumably would see ants in the photo?

The 2 activities must be pretty closely related to each other.

I sometimes wonder if they're exposing the uropygial gland to the sun/air (you can't quite see it in this picture due to the angle, I think).

There's an item about this gland in The Opus Dictionary, here, with a link to a super picture in the Gallery showing it. And also one on Anting here.

Ah well. Thought it was an old ants nest, but yes, presumably would see ants in the photo?

The 2 activities must be pretty closely related to each other.

I must admit that I didn't see any ants in the sandy patch where the thrush spread its wings - but then again, I can't be sure there weren't any either

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back