• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird call - Bang Po in Bangkok (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear members and bird watchers

I was in Bang Po this morning. I spotted a bird in top of the tree and my first thought was a White-rumped Shama, but the call is not the same and I never seen a Shama in top of a tree before.

The bird had a long tail and there was a flash of brown on top of the wings, but the bird was between me and the sun so it was all shadow.

Anyone recognizing the bird call? Sounds almost like a crow bird

Kind regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• unknown-Bang Pu 15 June 2019.mp3
    553.6 KB · Views: 69
Do not recognise the sound, and am not enough know to all the possibilities in Thailand, but your suggestions to look among the pies might work. Can also not exclude parakeet, maybe one with bit shorter moulting tail.

Maybe a treepie, though I can't find a recording that sounds exactly like that. According to eBird, it should be Rufous treepie if it is a treepie.

Maybe a treepie, though I can't find a recording that sounds exactly like that. According to eBird, it should be Rufous treepie if it is a treepie.

Thanks all!

I have looked in my book Birds of Thailand and South East Asia and I have checked every bird I think look like the bird I saw with Zeno-Canto but so far nothing. No treepies I have tried have fit

I will try to get down to Bang Pu tomorrow morning again to look for the bird

Kind regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Last edited:

I think not Seth, Racket-tailed is the only Treepie at Bang Pu, and in the Greater Bangkok area for that matter although escaped Rufous is a possibility.

Grahame

According to eBird, it should be Rufous treepie if it is a treepie.

Racket-tailed Treepie is quite common at Bang Pu, and they have a variety of vocalizations. And long-tailed and dark (brown) maybe fit the description better.

Where at Bang Pu did you see it?

I think not Seth, Racket-tailed is the only Treepie at Bang Pu, and in the Greater Bangkok area for that matter although escaped Rufous is a possibility.

Grahame

Sure. I didn't know status of treepies in Bangkok. Thanks for clarifying. :)

Not sure why, but for some reason Racket-tailed didn't cross my mind. Oops.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back