• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bangkok - Earlier this morning (2 Viewers)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear Members and Bird Watchers!

Attached pictures, a bird I have ID as a Asian Brown Flycatcher. Quite easy for me to ID, but I want to double check with my book when I came back home. Now I see a bird called Ferruginous Flycatcher in my book and this bird have a "reddish" belly.

My bird have a little "reddish" on the belly and the Asian Brown Flycatcher in my book have no "reddish" in the plumage.

I will take this opportunity to squeeze in a second question. Attached sound file is a bird I heard all over the park, anyone know what kind of bird is it? Around 12 seconds in to the recording we can hear a second bird a little further away.

Is it the same species making a different sound?

Kind Regards and Happy Birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• 2109.jpg
    2109.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 2110.jpg
    2110.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Unknown 28 November 2023.mp3
    767.2 KB
This is actually a Taiga Flycatcher. Note that the tail and uppertail coverts are jet black (in fact the outer tail feathers are white at the base, but this is hard to see when the tail is closed). On Asian Brown Flycatcher, the tail would be brown and similar to the rest of the upperparts (or just slightly darker). Asian Brown would have a pale base to the lower mandible of the bill. They also have shorter, weaker legs, so that they tend to have a more upright position when perched.
Compare this bird: ML611177875 - Asian Brown Flycatcher - Macaulay Library

Ferruginous Flycatcher is rather different. The rump and tail are fairly bright orange-rufous, and the head is greyer, creating a more contrasting appearance. The legs are short and pink.
Compare: ML610410154 - Ferruginous Flycatcher - Macaulay Library

Great photos by the way!

This is actually a Taiga Flycatcher. Note that the tail and uppertail coverts are jet black (in fact the outer tail feathers are white at the base, but this is hard to see when the tail is closed). On Asian Brown Flycatcher, the tail would be brown and similar to the rest of the upperparts (or just slightly darker). Asian Brown would have a pale base to the lower mandible of the bill. They also have shorter, weaker legs, so that they tend to have a more upright position when perched.
Compare this bird: ML611177875 - Asian Brown Flycatcher - Macaulay Library

Ferruginous Flycatcher is rather different. The rump and tail are fairly bright orange-rufous, and the head is greyer, creating a more contrasting appearance. The legs are short and pink.
Compare: ML610410154 - Ferruginous Flycatcher - Macaulay Library

Great photos by the way!
Thank you very much!

Highly appreciated!

I have the Taiga/ Red-throated Flycatcher in my book but I was never regarding this bird as it have a white belly in my book. But your description of the tail colours are exactly the same as in my book. But I was only looking for the belly colours as I thought this would be the easiest to detect in my book.

Thank you again!
Aladdin

Dear Members and Bird Watchers

Thanks to Sam Hambly at xeno-canto for ID of the birds on the sound recording

Ornate Sunbird or Olive-backed Sunbird if taxonomy is not updated here. Second bird at 0:!2 is an Oriental Magpie-Robin

Kind Regards and Happy Birding
Aladdin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back