• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A place to stay in Extremadura (1 Viewer)

graeme782

If anybody is going to the region in the near future i can strongly recommend 'Casa rural el recuerdo' near Trujillo. This is a bed and breakfast type establishment but to call it this just doesn't do it justice. It's a little like a farmhouse but has a pool and airconditioned rooms and is beautifully fitted out. It almost goes without saying that the surroundings are also superb with much to be seen within walking distance. The icing on the cake is the fact that the place is run by an English birder, although, to call him 'just' a birder probably does him an injustice. I'm not one for going abroad and whinging about 'all the foreigners' but having an English host who knows the best spots is ideal. Whilst i was out there i used the Muddeman guide but a bit of extra insider knowledge came in handy. You'll receive a very warm welcome from the family, be looked after throughout the stay and if you choose to have an evening meal, you'll be in for a treat. If you're reading this and think i'm doing a bit of a selling job then you're probably right, but when somebody goes well out of their way to make your stay as enjoyable as possible then i think it's worth a mention as they deserve their venture to succeed. And for 48 euro's you could pay double and do a damn sight worse.

Anyone interested should have a look at 'birdingextremadura.com' and if you're thinking about Spring 2006, you'd better hurry up.

Graeme.

I couldn't agree more with Graeme's comments. I stayed at Casa Rural el Recuerdo with some friends in June this year and had a great time birding Monfrague, the Belen Plains and other classic Extremadura sites.

Martin Kelsey (ex-BTO and BOU) and his Colombian wife Claudia done a great job in restoring their farmhouse, making it a very appealing place to stay in the countryside near Trujillo.

The accommodation, food, warm welcome and birding info are all top class.

Their www.birdingextremadura.com website gives an excellent rundown on the house and the birds.

Highly recommended.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back