• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Does Anyone Else Love 15x Binoculars? (1 Viewer)

angelo225544

I recently bought a used Swarovski 15x56 SLC binocular. They were priced so well ($1100) that I figured I could sell them for more than I paid even if I didn't like them. Most of us, I'm sure, have read again and again that 15x is simply too much magnification to hold steady. I was shocked to discover that even with the incresased shake I can see alot more detail than with my 8x or 10x. I soon realized that these should be my primary birding binocular. The Swarovski's have an unusually wide FOV at 4.4 degrees (231 feet at 1000 meters) which helps enormously but the huge surprise for me is how usable and addictive the magnification is. Does anyone share my love of high magnification?

angelo225544 said:
I recently bought a used Swarovski 15x56 SLC binocular. They were priced so well ($1100) that I figured I could sell them for more than I paid even if I didn't like them. Most of us, I'm sure, have read again and again that 15x is simply too much magnification to hold steady. I was shocked to discover that even with the incresased shake I can see alot more detail than with my 8x or 10x. I soon realized that these should be my primary birding binocular. The Swarovski's have an unusually wide FOV at 4.4 degrees (231 feet at 1000 meters) which helps enormously but the huge surprise for me is how usable and addictive the magnification is. Does anyone share my love of high magnification?

I do enjoy higher powers. With a quality binocular, I think magnification is the main factor determining the potential detail you can see. I also think, for most folks, the inability to hold the glass steady prevents it from reaching its potential. I am not comfortable with magnifications above 8x.

For me, the IS binoculars have proved to be the ideal mating of higher powers and a stable, hand-held view. My most used binocular is the Canon 12x36.

At 47 ounces, the 15x56 SLCs are a bit over my personal weight limit.

Clear skies, Alan

angelo225544 said:

Yes, I do enjoy higher magnification binoculars and often thought if I ever got something like a 15x56 SLC that a FISMO (FinnStick Monopod) would be indispensable. You might wish to take a look:
http://www.birdforum.net/reviews/showproduct.php?product=122&sort=7&cat=19&page=1.
The 66 deg. AFOV of the 15x56 should be excellent, but taking the weight off your arms and minimizing vibration would bring out their full potential. I find that to be true even with the 10x42 SLC shown in the pictures. Chances are the whole rig would be easier to carry and possibly more effective than a 20x scope.

Whatever you do enjoy the view.
Ed

AlanFrench said:
With a quality binocular, I think magnification is the main factor determining the potential detail you can see. I also think, for most folks, the inability to hold the glass steady prevents it from reaching its potential. I am not comfortable with magnifications above 8x.

At 47 ounces, the 15x56 SLCs are a bit over my personal weight limit.

There is an added variable here: eyeglasses. Stabilizing a pair of hand-held binoculars is easier when they are pushed against the forehead/eyesockets than when they are held against eyeglasses. I love to use my 10x without eyeglasses, but i can't hold them steady enough with eyeglasses on.

I've seen a 15x56 on a tripod. Awesome! I would not put them around my neck.

I agree Otto - since I don't wear glasses I can press them against my eye sockets or brow ridge which helps to stabilize them. I have also developed an assymetric grip which works very well. The left hand is farther down toward the objective lens and wrapped tightly around the barrel while the right hand is in the conventional position so I can focus. This grip plus pressing against my face gives a surprisingly stable image. I think that eyeglass wearers would be at a severe disadvantage.

angelo225544 said:
Does anyone share my love of high magnification?

Absolutely! I have a pair of 12x50 Trinovids that I use... They're great alone, but for the best views I have a freestanding Manfrotto monopod and the Leica binocular tripod mount.

I've always eyed those 15x56's with envy... Glad to hear they're that nice! :)

Hi Angelo.
Ive been thinking about the 15x56 for some while now.
How do they fair opticaly,are you pleased with views?
Are they as sharp as you hoped?
I would be mainly using them for Astronomy.
Thanks,
Steve.

I agree that high mag views are easier to manage than popular opinion asserts. I use a Nikon 12x50SE for astronomical use, but I use it often for daytime terrestrial observing and birding, too. It provides sharp, clear views and the detail the extra 2x offers over a 10x binocular is impressive. I think your Swaro 15x56 are an excellent choice of glasses!

Steve Napier said:
Hi Angelo.
Ive been thinking about the 15x56 for some while now.
How do they fair opticaly,are you pleased with views?
Are they as sharp as you hoped?
I would be mainly using them for Astronomy.
Thanks,
Steve.
I occasionally use mine for astronomy and I find them to be very well suited. I sold my Canon IS 15x50's because of their poor astronomy performance (the IS produces alot of annoying artifacts on points of light)The Swaros resolve stars very well - to a circular pinpoint - and the moon has never looked better through binoculars. They are every bit as sharp as any binocular I have looked through and have only the slightest amount of CA - not in the center - only off-axis. I think CA may be an artifact of the roof prism design as I haven't seen any roofs that don't have at least some. The wide field of view is very helpful for stargazing as well. For astronomy use only I would look at the Fujinon 16x70 also since a porro prism design may be better suited to astronomy. But the Fuji's are IF (individual focus) so they are not suitable for birding. I love my Swaros as all-purpose bins and I'm sure you will, too. Best wishes...Angelo Todaro.

Does anyone share my love of high magnification?

Sure, but good optics are hard to find, and cost goes up with 12x, 15x etc. I was able to hold 16x steady enough.

Now I am going a bit the other way, from 10x to 8x for winter. I may eventually settle on 8,5x as a compromise.

Here in Montana we use the 15x56 Swaro "Big Eyes" on a tripod for open country glassing during our big game season. My friend that has them also uses them in Sonora when guiding for Coues deer, Mule Deer and Sheep. I'm sold on them. They're so much easier on the eyes than a spotter and they give you the ability to look deep into nooks and crannies in the landscape. The 2x "Doubler" is very handy for an even closer look. For hand-held birding I think a 7-10X bin is a better choice for most people.

Last edited:
Thanks for that help.
Yes,Ive considered the Fujinon 16x70 but,as you rightly say the IF aspect is no good for daytime use and,the more I think about how much cloud we get in the area where I live I feel I need to get the best out of any instrument I buy so a pair for Astronomy AND daytime would be the best.
My good friend Walter Locke has helped me about the characteristics of the Fujinon 16x70 and Nikon 12x50SE and Medinabrit has helped with the 15x56 Swarovski.I really appreciate all their comments.
At the moment,the 15x56 are in the lead.
Thanks everyone.
Steve.
P.S. Is that Principal Skinner above? "Detention Bart"

I have used a 15x60, with center focussing, but always on a tripod. The question revolves around whether it is better to use a spotting scope, once the observer is burdened with a tripod. I think that is a rather personal call.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Pinewood said:
I have used a 15x60, with center focussing, but always on a tripod. The question revolves around whether it is better to use a spotting scope, once the observer is burdened with a tripod. I think that is a rather personal call.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Arthur,

I agree. For me, the big attraction of binoculars, either for birding or for astronomy, is portability. If I also need a tripod, I'll simply move up to a scope.

Clear skies, Alan

At the moment,the 15x56 are in the lead.
Thanks everyone.
Steve.
P.S. Is that Principal Skinner above? "Detention Bart"
Yes, its Skinner. Sometimes I am that sidekick of Mr Burns as well. Dithers?

I've been giving some thoughts to Takahashi's 22 x 60 ED's for both Astronomy and Birding. Anybody out there with any experience with them on either score?

Bob

AlanFrench said:
Arthur,

I agree. For me, the big attraction of binoculars, either for birding or for astronomy, is portability. If I also need a tripod, I'll simply move up to a scope.

Clear skies, Alan

Alan,

I think that a small 'scope could be used with either a light tripod or even a mono pod. The 15x60 binoculars, which I have seen, may be in greater need of the tripod.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

ceasar said:
I've been giving some thoughts to Takahashi's 22 x 60 ED's for both Astronomy and Birding. Anybody out there with any experience with them on either score?

Bob

Bob,

You may have to search the used market. I've read that the Tak's have been discontinued. Their disadvantages for birding are a very narrow field and individual focus. Most birders would probably find a scope more useful and easier to use. BTW they use genuine Fluorite (CaF2) in the objectives rather than ED glass. I believe it's the very same objective used in the FS-60C scope. I'd rather have one of those for birding.

There is plenty of information about the 22x60's on the Cloudy Nights Binocular Forum.

Henry

My original point was that I am now convinced that it is a misconception that 15x binoculars require a tripod, monopod or even a Finnstick to be effective. I agree that if a support is required you may as well just carry a scope along with your everyday 8x bins. I am not saying that at all. For me, with my relatively steady photographers hands and no eyeglasses in the way, 15x binoculars are giving me the best and most detailed views I have yet seen through any bins. I agree that at 45 ounces they are relatively heavy - but that weight is offset by NOT needing to bring a scope and tripod along . I guarantee that I am seeing more detail through my handheld 15x's than you possibly can with even a tripod mounted 8x. Thats what I was hoping to discuss here.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back