• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A strange 8x32 choice. (2 Viewers)

You simply can't deny the elegance of the NL's. A little bit like the Sophia Loren amongst binos. And this comes from a dyed in the wool Leica nut :cool:

View attachment 1561027
So, I went for the NLs in the end. They were used but in terrific condition and I can see where you're coming from...very elegant indeed, even in the more traditional green. I've not yet had time to give them a proper run out, but my first impression is that these will complement my sf 8x42s well. I don't feel like I'll be needing anything else in the future (but I've said that before!). The view is so immersive, almost overwhelmingly so. They're gorgeous to hold even if they are on the longer and heavier side for a x32. The focusing is interesting as I was a little skeptical about this aspect before using them, knowing that almost 2 rotations were needed to get from close up to infinity. Actually the precision and smoothness compensate. I find I can focus in on details quickly and easily with the wonderfully slick but controlled mechanism. My only regret in all this, was passing on the Zeiss fls which I loved for the aspects that are weaker on the nls - bulk and weight. What lovely compact binoculars they were and with a lovely view too, though not quite as bright and punchy as the nls.

So far so good, and these nls feel, so far, on a par with my sfs but haven’t superseded them. Early days and thank you everyone for all your comments which have helped me along the way.

So, I went for the NLs in the end. They were used but in terrific condition and I can see where you're coming from...very elegant indeed, even in the more traditional green. I've not yet had time to give them a proper run out, but my first impression is that these will complement my sf 8x42s well. I don't feel like I'll be needing anything else in the future (but I've said that before!). The view is so immersive, almost overwhelmingly so. They're gorgeous to hold even if they are on the longer and heavier side for a x32. The focusing is interesting as I was a little skeptical about this aspect before using them, knowing that almost 2 rotations were needed to get from close up to infinity. Actually the precision and smoothness compensate. I find I can focus in on details quickly and easily with the wonderfully slick but controlled mechanism. My only regret in all this, was passing on the Zeiss fls which I loved for the aspects that are weaker on the nls - bulk and weight. What lovely compact binoculars they were and with a lovely view too, though not quite as bright and punchy as the nls.

So far so good, and these nls feel, so far, on a par with my sfs but haven’t superseded them. Early days and thank you everyone for all your comments which have helped me along the way.
Wonderful.

I think you decided very well, and will have much fun with them. Enjoy your new NL's in good health (y)

A month or so in, and the NLs are proving a pleasure to use. The strengths that have become apparent after a few weeks of birding are not necessarily quite what I expected. The optics are lovely and I've so far appreciated the bit of extra reach the 10x give me over 8x though I like that extra fov in my 8x42 sfs (I take those out in poor light too for obvious reasons). But I expected all that. I was a bit concerned about speed of focusing having been used to my old Conquests' super-fast mechanism. In fact the silky smooth precision of the nls has more than compensated and I really feel that to be one of the delights of this instrument. The view is the obvious 'wow' factor, but if a focus movement can be said to produce the same reaction, well, it does for me.
Another mild concern was weight. Again, a feature of the nls compensates for this slight worry. The slim waist offers such a comfortable, even satisfying sense of balance in the hand that I really don't notice any weight issue at all. Maybe it's an odd comparison to make in that the two binoculars have entirely different ergonomics, but the sf 8x42s with their front weighted balance seem a little similar to the gorgeous weighting of these nls. Both just feel 'right'.
I wondered about 10x shake factor and whether I'd need a headrest. Again, I just don't notice a problem. Maybe I just have steady hands?
Having got a good price on these used but excellent condition nls, I come away very satisfied with the purchase.

I wondered about 10x shake factor and whether I'd need a headrest. Again, I just don't notice a problem. Maybe I just have steady hands?

There's the option of a headrest for the NLs. That would steady the image but my gut instinct at needing one isn't very positive.
Hello Julian... just a little recommendation of which you can do what you want, and about this headrest.
I have had these wonderful binoculars for quite a while, and enjoy them every day !
I've always known Swaro's optical qualities, and what really appealed to me here was the crazy FOV... I know it depends on each person, but for me, this panoramic vision is enchanting.
Having always been accustomed to having the eyecups out, I used the NL's in this way for months without asking any questions and always with great pleasure. ( NL's eyecups have 7 positions / Neutral : 1, then 2, 3, 4 etc up to 7 ).
It took me months, really, lol, to realize that this position 1 offered all this grandiose FOV... ... But not being able to rest the binoculars on my face (I don't wear glasses), so only after months of use did I consider this headrest (despite its somewhat expensive price !!)... And it completely transformed my use, i have never used binoculars like this before !!
Position 1, headrest on my forehead, total stability, and all the magic, the power, of this crazy FOV !! 🤪
It's just a simple advice, but if you have the opportunity to test it, in the future, maybe you will change your mind about this headrest.
For even minor shakes, it greatly improves things with eyecups on any position, without a doubt, but that's not even what I'm talking about... ... but if you appreciate this fabulous FOV, this headrest opens up a field that took me months to discover ! 😉

For best FOV.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Julian... just a little recommendation of which you can do what you want, and about this headrest.
I have had these wonderful binoculars for quite a while, and enjoy them every day !
I've always known Swaro's optical qualities, and what really appealed to me here was the crazy FOV... I know it depends on each person, but for me, this panoramic vision is enchanting.
Having always been accustomed to having the eyecups out, I used the NL's in this way for months without asking any questions and always with great pleasure. ( NL's eyecups have 7 positions / Neutral : 1, then 2, 3, 4 etc up to 7 ).
It took me months, really, lol, to realize that this position 1 offered all this grandiose FOV... ... But not being able to rest the binoculars on my face (I don't wear glasses), so only after months of use did I consider this headrest (despite its somewhat expensive price !!)... And it completely transformed my use, i have never used binoculars like this before !!
Position 1, headrest on my forehead, total stability, and all the magic, the power, of this crazy FOV !! 🤪
It's just a simple advice, but if you have the opportunity to test it, in the future, maybe you will change your mind about this headrest.
For even minor shakes, it greatly improves things, without a doubt, but that's not even what I'm talking about... ... but if you appreciate this fabulous FOV, this headrest opens up a field that took me months to discover ! 😉

View attachment 1570525
Well said.

For even minor shakes, it greatly improves things with eyecups on any position, without a doubt, but that's not even what I'm talking about... ... but if you appreciate this fabulous FOV, this headrest opens up a field that took me months to discover ! 😉

View attachment 1570525

Same with me hehehe

Well now! I think I may just have to look into this 'extra', price notwithstanding. I guess my only negative is that price which, for an accessory, is very dear. If it makes such a difference, I guess I'll have to look into it (so to speak...).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back