• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with a Nikon ED50 (1 Viewer)

NoSpringChicken

United Kingdom
I have finally finished modifying my Olivon adaptor to fit the Fuji F30 to my new Nikon ED50 scope with its 13-40 zoom lens. Attached are a couple of photos of an obliging Song Thrush taken yesterday evening at home in fading light. I am fairly pleased with them as first efforts with the new scope and look forward to seeing what it is capable of in better, more vibrant light.

I would be interested to hear the experiences of anyone else who uses the ED50 for digiscoping and would like to see examples of their photos.

Ron

Attachments

• Thrush 2 small.jpg
    Thrush 2 small.jpg
    549.5 KB · Views: 971
  • Thrush 1 small.jpg
    Thrush 1 small.jpg
    526.9 KB · Views: 945
Last edited:
Lovely shots, Ron - a great scope isn't it? I haven't used mine for digiscoping yet but can see from your photos it certainly very capable.

Good pics but where's its eye!

Better pictures than I can do with my swarry - I'm probably suffering from Friday afternoon work syndrome and on the right hand picture I can't see its eye...is it really a Nelson or is my sight getting worseB :) ?

Better pictures than I can do with my swarry - I'm probably suffering from Friday afternoon work syndrome and on the right hand picture I can't see its eye...is it really a Nelson or is my sight getting worseB :) ?
It was late. It was tired. It was just bored trying to keep still for the idiot fumbling round in the garden trying to take its picture. It just dropped off for a second.

I can assure you it had the full complement of eyes.;)

Edit. I've just checked the other photos I took and I can't see its eye on any of them. Perhaps you are right after all. I'll have to check if I see it again. Poor Thrush – I feel bad now.

Ron

Last edited:
One more Song Thrush photo. This one was taken using a bit of zoom on the scope. The bird was 'three bungalows and three car parking spaces' away (whatever that is in yards or metres!) Without the scope it looked like a small dark blob silhouetted against the sky.

Ron

Attachments

• Distant Thrush small.jpg
    Distant Thrush small.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 671
I love my ED50! Have only taken a few shots in the garden, mainly of a very obliging blackbird. I use a Canon A95 which fits nicely into the zoom eyepiece of the Nikon. Not sure how to link this into the thread where they are posted in Photo Critique - perhaps someone could tell me?? In the meantime I will attach them here for your perusal...........

Attachments

• Blackie closeup.jpg
    Blackie closeup.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 699
  • Blackie.jpg
    Blackie.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 667
I love my ED50! Have only taken a few shots in the garden, mainly of a very obliging blackbird. I use a Canon A95 which fits nicely into the zoom eyepiece of the Nikon. Not sure how to link this into the thread where they are posted in Photo Critique - perhaps someone could tell me?? In the meantime I will attach them here for your perusal...........
Brilliant photos, Amelia. The blackbirds near me seem to spend all their time sitting on TV aerials and are extremely difficult to photograph against the sky.

I am very impressed with the ED50 so far. It makes me smile every time I see it – it's almost comically tiny but it performs like a much bigger scope. I took it out with me on Sunday for the first time and it was nice not having everybody assuming I know about birds and asking me awkward questions.

As for all those guys giving disdainful looks at the size of it … little do they know.;)

Ron

One more Song Thrush photo. This one was taken using a bit of zoom on the scope. The bird was 'three bungalows and three car parking spaces' away (whatever that is in yards or metres!) Without the scope it looked like a small dark blob silhouetted against the sky.

Ron

Excellent exposure there, Ron - difficult against a bright sky. A very obliging blackbird, Amelia - wonderful shots!

Which tripod do you use Ron?

I am still deliberating on whether to compromise on weight or stability between a Manfrotto 718B or Velbon Sherpa 600R. I am only small and have neck and shoulder probs so favour the lightweight Manfrotto but want to get stuck into digiscoping properly and feel the Velbon would be better, with the added bonus of the central column fitting the Velbon hide mount. The Nikon does look rather comical I agree but less so on the Manfrotto 718B.

Which tripod do you use Ron?

I am still deliberating on whether to compromise on weight or stability between a Manfrotto 718B or Velbon Sherpa 600R. I am only small and have neck and shoulder probs so favour the lightweight Manfrotto but want to get stuck into digiscoping properly and feel the Velbon would be better, with the added bonus of the central column fitting the Velbon hide mount. The Nikon does look rather comical I agree but less so on the Manfrotto 718B.
I've got an Opticron 42704. It's very rigid and sturdy, comes with a pretty good pan head and is available for £79. It is quite tall and I only extend the bottom section of the legs halfway. However, this means I don't have to lift the top column at all which helps rigidity. They do a carbon fibre version now which is a bit, but not a lot, lighter.

The nice thing about the Opticron is the removable top column and I have bought the optional matching hide clamp for about £30. This is an ideal solution for the ED50 if you are using it in hides but no good if there is nothing to clamp it onto.

The tripod works well but is a bit hefty and over the top for the ED50. I am sure a lighter weight tripod would work perfectly well.

Incidentally, in view of the possible problems with the tripod mount on the ED50 posted on here, I have been leaving the quick release plate permanently attached to the scope and carrying the tripod and scope separately. A good reason for getting the Cley Spy stay on case in the future – an ideal present.;)

Ron

Here are some photos of the modified Olivon Universal Camera Adaptor which I am using.

The first photo shows the black metal sleeve which comes with the adaptor. On the Olivon scopes and also the Acuter which I used to have it screws onto a thread at the base of the eyepiece. As the ED50 doesn't have such a thread I fitted plastic plumbing pieces to change the interior dimensions. The bottom of the sleeve fits over the boss on the scope where the lens screws in (beneath the red line.) The top internal diameter of the sleeve fits the lens stem just below the fixed knurled grip.

To attach the sleeve, I put it over the boss, insert the eyepiece through the centre and screw it down. When it is fully tightened the knurled ring just nips the top of the sleeve and holds it in place. I put a thin tap 'O' ring over the stem of the eyepiece to take up any slack and stop the sleeve rotating. The plastic inserts protrude slightly at the bottom to stop the metal sleeve damaging the scope at the base of the lens. It's not very clear on the photos but the scope has a small bead around the edge of the black panel at the base of the lens. I had to make two notches in the bottom of the sleeve to straddle these. The white arrow is a temporary aid to help me fit the sleeve in the correct position. The sleeve can be left in place all day as it doesn't interfere with the normal operation of the scope or the zoom function.

I fit the camera to the adaptor and keep it in a bag. It takes only a few seconds to attach the whole assembly to the scope and tighten the screw at the top.

The final photo shows the camera swung away from the lens which allows me to focus the scope and then swing the camera back into place to take the photo.

It seems to work well but I don't think I would have bothered if I didn't already own the Olivon adaptor, as I am sure there are simpler, lighter solutions available. The weight is slightly less than a Baader type adaptor.

I think the photos explain it better than words.

Ron

Attachments

• Sleeve and scope.jpg
    Sleeve and scope.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 574
  • Mounted sleeve.jpg
    Mounted sleeve.jpg
    447.4 KB · Views: 588
  • Camera mounted.jpg
    Camera mounted.jpg
    459 KB · Views: 780
  • Camera swung away.jpg
    Camera swung away.jpg
    565 KB · Views: 746
It was late. It was tired. It was just bored trying to keep still for the idiot fumbling round in the garden trying to take its picture. It just dropped off for a second.

I can assure you it had the full complement of eyes.;)

Edit. I've just checked the other photos I took and I can't see its eye on any of them. Perhaps you are right after all. I'll have to check if I see it again. Poor Thrush – I feel bad now.

Ron

Nice Photo's. I think it was just relaxing in the evening sun!.

I keep looking at the Gallery to see if there are any more photos taken using the ED50 but I haven't noticed any. Looking at old threads on here I see some people, including Andrew Whitehouse, have experimented with it in the past but I haven't noticed any recent photos by them. Any more takers?

In the meantime here's a photo of a young Blackbird taken at home one evening. Apart from resizing for this site and a bit of sharpening it's as it came out of the camera. I think the levels of detail are pretty good for such a small scope. Just a pity there isn't a better photographer behind it!

Ron

Attachments

• Young-Blackbird-back-small.jpg
    Young-Blackbird-back-small.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 572
I probably should try a bit more digiscoping with the ED50. I usually take the gear out with me but tend to be too busy looking at birds to take any pictures! Some nice results there Ron.

Hi Andrew.

I must agree, as soon as the digiscoping gear comes out in a hide all thoughts of bird watching disappear to be replaced by frantic camera operations and much swearing. At least I have still got the scope with me for when I want to revert back to sanity, unlike a DSLR with big lens, which is no use for looking at birds.

Ron

Ron and Amelia if you had posted them photos last year I would have bought an ED50 instead of the Opticron I did buy, I think they are great by any standards.

Mick

Ron and Amelia if you had posted them photos last year I would have bought an ED50 instead of the Opticron I did buy, I think they are great by any standards.

Mick
Thanks Mick. The only problem I have found is that, as the scope only has a 50mm objective lens, it obviously doesn't let in as much light as a 60mm or 80mm scope. This means that it is difficult getting really fast shutter speeds, although the F30 does help with this as it can use high ISO numbers without introducing too much noise.

The plus point with the ED50 and F30 is that they are so light and portable that there is no reason not to take them out with you. I don't think I would bother lugging an 80mm scope around with me, even if it did give better results.

Ron

Looking forward to buying a decent tripod at the Bird Fair in August before I travel up to Guisborough/Whitby with my husband for a few days. Will be getting stuck into digiscoping at last at Bempton, Flamborough Head and South Gare, weather willing. If shots are good enough I will post them here. Can someone tell me how to link two threads together on here eg post in photo critique and link to this one? Missed a lovely opportunity for a great photo on Sunday because I didn't take the scope or camera with me on a local short walk - a Turtle Dove sitting in the sun on an old wooden gate along a disused railway line. Learned my lesson now..........
Thanks to Mick for kind comments by the way.

Last edited:
Can someone tell me how to link two threads together on here eg post in photo critique and link to this one?
Hi Amelia. I would suggest you copy the http address at the top of your browser for the page you want to link to and then paste that in your original post. Somebody else might have a better idea though. I look forward to seeing your digiscoped photos when you get the new tripod.

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back