• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1 to 6 - Greenshanks and ruffs (1 Viewer)

jbpixels

Three greenshanks are clear. The ruffs are not so clear to me. Would you please ID support me with the birds 3, 4 and 5. Sex and relevant plumage details would be very helpful to me.
I would like to understand their together. Forget the video bomber at the end. :giggle:
Thank you for your support.

Attachments

• 1 to 6.jpg
    1 to 6.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 72
  • waders.mp4
    12 MB
Three greenshanks are clear. The ruffs are not so clear to me. Would you please ID support me with the birds 3, 4 and 5. Sex and relevant plumage details would be very helpful to me.
I would like to understand their together. Forget the video bomber at the end. :giggle:
Thank you for your support.
I think that 3, 4 and 5 are Ruff; 4 is a male (with traces of the breeding plumage from which it gets its name, the other two are females (or reeves; told by their smaller size). The others (including the videobomber) are as you say Greenshanks.

Thank you for number 4. Def. bigger. Normal in ruff males ? No idea.
5 seems to be a juvenile (eBird).
Features of # 3 are still unclear to me.
Thank you.
Not living at the sea with difficult to reach spots not an easy one.

Last edited:
yes, males in ruff are consistantly (and noticeable) bigger than females, often ID-able as such even without seeing females close to them, just by different structure. the female to the left (3) is an adult, the one to the right a juvenile - note differences in plumage, the juvenile having pale edged scapulars and coverts, in the adult there are some blackish arrow-shaped subterminal marks. these will get moulted to much duller feathers in winter plumage.

yes, males in ruff are consistantly (and noticeable) bigger than females, often ID-able as such even without seeing females close to them, just by different structure. the female to the left (3) is an adult, the one to the right a juvenile - note differences in plumage, the juvenile having pale edged scapulars and coverts, in the adult there are some blackish arrow-shaped subterminal marks. these will get moulted to much duller feathers in winter plumage.
Update: Amazing new detailed id support. Ruffs
Thank you for your id support. Not easy for me close to the mountains and away from the sea to id.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back