• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x30IS vs 8x20IS (1 Viewer)

pluton

Hello,
I am deciding between the Canon 10x30 IS and the new 8x20IS, with similar prices, I don't consider the 10x20 because of its small exit pupil.
Has anyone been able to compare both? Is there much difference in weight/size and image quality?
Thank you
Pluton

Hello,
I am deciding between the Canon 10x30 IS and the new 8x20IS, with similar prices, I don't consider the 10x20 because of its small exit pupil.
Has anyone been able to compare both? Is there much difference in weight/size and image quality?
Thank you
Pluton
I haven’t compared the 20, but had the 10x30 & 10x32 side by side and the 32 is a step up. And the IS is smoother.

10x30 or 8x20? Difficult, it all depends on what you want to use the binoculars for. You also don't say if you wear glasses - the 10x30 is a lot better with glasses than the 8x20.

Now, if you want to use them for "serious" birding, I think I'd go for the 10x30, simply because it's got a larger exit pupil. And yes, 0.5mm does make a difference with small exit pupils. If you want to use them on walks when birding isn't the main focus, the smaller and lighter 8x20 might be better. The 8x20 has got another advantage: The stabilizer switches on when you push the button and stays on for some time. With the 10x30 you've got to hold the button all the time to keep the stabilzer on. On the other hand you need CR123 batteries for the 8x20, the 10x30 takes straightforward AA batteries or rechargeables. Optical quality - there's not much between the two pairs. I think the 8x20 has got a slight edge. Check Canip's review on the 8x20.

Note that both binoculars are what I call "fair weather binoculars". They're not waterproof, and I don't think they're that robust. That said, I've been using my 8x20 for more than 2 years now, and it's still going strong.

Probably the best compromise between the two is the 10x42 IS ... 😁🙃😁

Hermann

Thank you Herman for your kind reply.
what you say: "That said, I've been using my 8x20 for more than 2 years now, and it's still going strong" is good news, on the other hand I have read that for close observation, butterflies, dragonflies and other insects maybe the 8x20 has an advantage, I like to observe a bit of everything, not just birds.
I agree with you, the 10x42 could be the ideal... but the price is much higher for my humble budget.I don't use spectacles for observe.

Icono de Validado por la comunidad

assistant_24dp.png

Traducción en directo

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back