• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x25 IS vs. 8x20 IS (1 Viewer)

Granpoli

Spain
Hello,
I'm torn between an old model Canon 8x25 IS and a current Canon 8x20 IS...
Has anyone compared them?
Weight and size and optical-mechanical quality?
Thank you

GP.

Attachments

• 1693594172114.png
    1693594172114.png
    312 bytes · Views: 2
I've had both, kept the 8x20. For ease of use, less 'jumpy' IS, size. I liked the optics on the 8x25 though. Both are fairly plasticky, the 8x20 less so.

Hello,
I'm torn between an old model Canon 8x25 IS and a current Canon 8x20 IS...
Has anyone compared them?
Weight and size and optical-mechanical quality?
Thank you

GP.
A 25mm objective provides an increase in light transmission of 56% over 20mm objectives. My mini binoculars at Swarvoski 10x25 CL Pocket Mountain that weigh 12.4 ounces. Fold up to be very compact and easily fit inside a pocket.

The thing is that I can no longer stabilize a 10x non-IS, nor almost an 8x non-IS, and I have tried both and they are very good..., hence my question.
I think the 8x20 is somewhat larger, as I see in its specifications.
Because 8x20 is more current, it should be something better, right?
I have tried some pockets that fold with two hinges and the size is very good so as not to take up space but I have too many hands (in size) to be able to stabilize them well.

I haven't tried the 8x25 but do own the 8x20 and older 15x50. While it is not entirely fair or reasonable to compare a 15x50 to an 8x20 I will say the IS in the newer model seems nicer and the plastic housing feels less likely to degrade as the older ones are known to do. I think the 8x20 would be a great choice for someone who struggles to hold binos steady. I use them when I bring my spotting scope so I can get steady views 1-handed while holding my scope/tripod in the other.

I'm looking the specifications and I think that the 8x20IS is biggest but same weight... The system IS mmm!! I Don't know.!!

will honestly tell you that I am looking for a very very small binocular to carry with me almost or always... it does not matter city or country, sometimes I do not carry my small backpack, I do not want to pay much either, I look for second hand rather, I think that a Trinovid 8x20 would be the ideal size but I don't know if I would be able to stabilize the image adequately, they say that very small ones are more difficult, that's why I have also looked at the smallest Canon IS... although I think this would not really be of Pocket like the Trinovid, I don't know if someone who used the 8x25 IS Canon can be called a pocket!!?

Granpoli,

No, unfortunately the Canon 8x25 IS is not a pocket binocular. See pic below comparing it to a Leica Trinovid 8x20 BC.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_1641.jpg
    IMG_1641.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19

Users who are viewing this thread

Back