• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x32 EL Field Pro compared against 8x32 same model (1 Viewer)

SeldomPerched

I know 10x32 is not very popular but the only one I have had (all too briefly, a Zeiss FL) was excellent for what I wanted.

Now discontinued, I just wondered how the EL 10x32 final model compares with the 8x version. Glare in particular, any kidney beaning or eyecup aspects. I imagine resolution and colour and clarity across the whole field will be of a similar very high standard.

I ask about final model because that is what I already have in the 8x version. Field Pro is something I am happy with; I wouldn't be looking to go for a pre-FP version (SV) or any earlier generation EL.

Thanks for any info you can shed.

Tom

The EL 10x32 is a superb binocular and if you have and like the EL 8x32 you will like the EL 10x32. It kind of depends on what you can buy one for. The EL 10x32 like most Swarovski's hold their value very well, so you are probably going to end up paying around $1500 to $1800 for one used and for that price you are close to what you could buy a used SF 10x32 or NL 10x32 for and with those two you get a much bigger FOV which you would probably appreciate. Are you sold on the 10x32 for the smaller size and lighter weight? If size and weight are not critically important, I would move up to a 10x42 because the bigger exit pupil is very helpful for eye placement being less finicky, and they are considerably brighter, especially in low light, but they will be more expensive. An 8x32 and a 10x42 makes a good pair of binoculars to own, with the 8x32 being nice for closer in birding and the 10x42 being better for more open country and coastal areas where you are birding at longer distances, and you will appreciate the extra detail. If budget isn't a consideration, I would try the Zeiss SF 10x42 or the Swarovski NL 10x42.

I've got both the 8x32 and 10x32 ELs in non-fieldpro (optically they're identical to the fieldpro) - Handling between the two is pretty much identical, no differences in kidney beaning, glare etc. that I've noticed - just the magnification dfference and the brightness in the 10x32 drops off a little quicker in the evening due to the smaller exit pupil. The 10x32s are my most used summer binoculars. I've never felt constrained by the FoV.

The EL 10x32 is a superb binocular and if you have and like the EL 8x32 you will like the EL 10x32. It kind of depends on what you can buy one for. The EL 10x32 like most Swarovski's hold their value very well, so you are probably going to end up paying around $1500 to $1800 for one used and for that price you are close to what you could buy a used SF 10x32 or NL 10x32 for and with those two you get a much bigger FOV which you would probably appreciate. Are you sold on the 10x32 for the smaller size and lighter weight? If size and weight are not critically important, I would move up to a 10x42 because the bigger exit pupil is very helpful for eye placement being less finicky, and they are considerably brighter, especially in low light, but they will be more expensive. An 8x32 and a 10x42 makes a good pair of binoculars to own, with the 8x32 being nice for closer in birding and the 10x42 being better for more open country and coastal areas where you are birding at longer distances, and you will appreciate the extra detail. If budget isn't a consideration, I would try the Zeiss SF 10x42 or the Swarovski NL 10x42.
Hi Dennis,

Thank you for the info. Yes, it is the size and weight that prompt me to 10x32. I already have enough kit in 42 format where I generally go 7x42 and 8.5x42.

Despite the price differences you rightly mention I'd be happyish paying more to get the format I want based on previous experiences.

Tom

I've got both the 8x32 and 10x32 ELs in non-fieldpro (optically they're identical to the fieldpro) - Handling between the two is pretty much identical, no differences in kidney beaning, glare etc. that I've noticed - just the magnification dfference and the brightness in the 10x32 drops off a little quicker in the evening due to the smaller exit pupil. The 10x32s are my most used summer binoculars. I've never felt constrained by the FoV.
Hi Richard, very useful that you have the 2 formats in the same model generation and with same optics as I have already in 8x32 FP and would have if / when a 10 comes my way. Point on light falloff understood and acceptable to me. Out of interest do you encounter much flare / glare with your two (apart from provoking it in unfair lighting))?

Thank you,

Tom

Last edited:
Chilli6x6 Chuck, if you are reading this I'd be interested in your experience as I know you are a big fan of the EL SV models especially the 8x32.

Tom

Hi Richard, very useful that you have the 2 formats in the same model generation and with same optics as I have already in 8x32 FP and would gave if / when a 10 comes my way. Point on light falloff understood and acceptable to me. Out of interest do you encounter much flare / glare with your two (apart from provoking it in unfair lighting))?

Thank you,

Tom

No glare/flare under normal conditions once I'd got the IPD and eyecup set right (they're a little more finicky than my 50s and 56s with eyeplacement). Yes you can provoke glare looking close to a setting sun, but no problem viewing over water etc. during the day.

The answer I wanted to hear! I did have an 8x56 FL - fantastic but I just couldn't hold it still after the first 30-45 sec so it had to go! This is why I'm looking for a 10x32...

Last edited:
Hi Richard, very useful that you have the 2 formats in the same model generation and with same optics as I have already in 8x32 FP and would have if / when a 10 comes my way. Point on light falloff understood and acceptable to me. Out of interest do you encounter much flare / glare with your two (apart from provoking it in unfair lighting))?

Thank you,

Tom
If you can get a bargain on the EL 8x32 or EL 10x32, I still think they are one of the best 32 mm binoculars around OUTSIDE of the NL, and they are the best you can buy.

The answer I wanted to hear! I did have an 8x56 FL - fantastic but I just vouldn't hold it still after the first 30-45 sec so it had to go! This is why I'm looking for a 10x32...

If you like the 8x32 I'm sure you'll like the 10x32 they're incredibly similar. Personally I don't notice any more shake with the 10s over the 8s, but then I'm one of those mad fools who regularly handholds 15x56 SLCs (and no I can't hold those steady without something to rest my elbows on for more than a short period at a time). Most of my birding is over open marshland and estuary, so the 10s get a lot more use than the 8s.

If you can get a bargain on the EL 8x32 or EL 10x32, I still think they are one of the best 32 mm binoculars around OUTSIDE of the NL, and they are the best you can buy.

I agree the NLs are a tad better, but even without the big price difference, for me the practical difference wasn't enough for me to be tempted to upgrade. I may be doing Swarovski a disservice but I suspect the 32mm ELs were discontinued so as not to take NL sales.

I have tried an 8x42 NL and it was fantastic; however when I tried my 8.5 EL a few minutes later it was too close to call. Interestingly I didn't get on with the 8x32 NL in the shop as despite the wide view it somehow felt more constricting than my 32 EL. Hard to explain but going by instinct alone I knew the 32 NLs weren't for me - and anyway they were too big for the format.

I reckon I will be very happy with a 10x32 EL Field Pro if one comes my way but I will definitely give it a good check over and test to see if it fits my face and taste!

Recently picked up a pair of FP EL 10x32 in UK for c£900 and love them. For most of my birding I use 10x42 but I like these so much that they are going to Belize with me next week instead of the x42's to save some hand luggage weight.
Same here. The EL 10x32 is a real gem and not only has significantly reduced weight and bulk compared to the 42s, but also has a noticeably wider FoV.

They're also lighter and a more compact than the 32 mm NLs, while keeping up with them optically in every way except field of view, where they're not even that far behind either. They're arguably the ultimate pair of travelling and hiking binoculars in my personal opinion; the ergonomics work great for my hands, and the combination of performance and portability is pretty much unbeatable. £900 for the latest FP version is a bargain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back