• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EL 12x50 swarovision eyecups (inadequate eye relief) (1 Viewer)

BoldenEagle

Finland
Are any other (NL, SLC, EL range) model eyecups compatible with EL 12x50 Swarovision (pre Field Pro version to be spesific)?

My problem is inadequate eye relief as the eyelenses are deeply recessed/the eyecup rim is too high so usable eye relief is lost by several mm. Maybe one solution could be using less high eyecups; for example at least NL 10x42 model has eyecup rim very close to the surface of the eyelens and if it would fit the threads of 12x50 EL's they could offer more eye relief.

Regards, Juhani

Are any other (NL, SLC, EL range) model eyecups compatible with EL 12x50 Swarovision (pre Field Pro version to be spesific)?

My problem is inadequate eye relief as the eyelenses are deeply recessed/the eyecup rim is too high so usable eye relief is lost by several mm. Maybe one solution could be using less high eyecups; for example at least NL 10x42 model has eyecup rim very close to the surface of the eyelens and if it would fit the threads of 12x50 EL's they could offer more eye relief.

Regards, Juhani

You express the same thing I use to talk about.
I very much liked Swarovision 8x42 but was dissapointed the eyepiece rim was unnecessary high so a few mm valuable eye relief was wasted.
I have also tried the 12x50 and the ER is shorter than 8x42(and 10x50 I think) so I doubt that it would be enough even if I come closer to the eye lens.
Worth to mention is that the eye piece design of NL Pure is better and allows you to come as close as it possible.

I believe I once heard the NL Pure eyecups are compatible with the EL's. Maybe Swarovski is willing to send you a pair when you explain your problem?

I don't have the EL 12x50 yet in my hands but next week I will have opportunity to test them with my glasses.

It may well be as you wrote that EL's eye relief won't be enough regardless of eyecup switching.

Very few binocular have enough eye relief for my glasses and neanderthal facial structure:confused:

Swarovski SLC 10x56 (newest version) is ideal when eyecups fully down position. Opticron Aurora 8x42 has just sufficient eye relief also, Zeiss 10x42 SF is so-so.

Regards, Juhani

I got the EL 12x50 couple of days ago and solved the eye relief issue.

Long story short: I used SLC 10x56 eyecups with some modifications. The original EL eyecups took away about 4 mm of the possible eye relief (from the lens surface), I managed to gain about 3 mm or slightly more and now I can see the whole field with my classes.

20240309_150632.jpg

I've never tried any 12x binoculars but I was surprised how usable EL's are hand held; I can see smaller details than with my 10x56 SLC's and even more when on tripod. The overall view with EL 12x50 is very pleasing, not quite the match with my SLC 10x56 which are super comfy and relaxed but very close. 12x50 EL's also are a lot smaller and very light weight so I think they will be well suited for my longer treks without carrying a scope also.

Regards, Juhani

My experience is that the NL 42mm eyecups cannot be used on the EL 50mm, so the rumors that they fit the 50mm EL are not true. Congrats on getting the EL 12x50---it is one my favorite bino.
I didn't even try NL eyecups as I discovered my SLC 10x56 eyecups fit the EL 12x50 by diameter, I just had to cut them about 7mm shorter in order to get them as close to the eyelens as possible (that means they cannot be screwed upper positions anymore but I personally also don't need to do that, and I still have the original ones if I'll for some reason need them). They also cannot be screwed to the EL threads so they are just attached by some tape (by friction, nothing shows outside armour).

Yes, EL 12x50 seems very good binocular indeed. I will further test it in the field to see how it performs but so far so good.

Regards, Juhani

I have the EL 12x50 as well and because of the shorter eye relief it fits me better than the EL 10x50 and EL 10x42. I do not wear glasses.
When I fully turn out the eyecups, I see the whole FOV, whereas with the 10's I loose a bit of the FOV.

Handheld watching with the EL 12x50 turned out to be no problem as well for me. Lovely bins.

Does anyone know if the NL 8x42 eyecups will fit the EL 8.5x42? I wear glasses and would like to gain a few mm's of eye relief if it's possible. Or if anybody has any other solution, let me know.

Thanks!

Does anyone know if the NL 8x42 eyecups will fit the EL 8.5x42? I wear glasses and would like to gain a few mm's of eye relief if it's possible. Or if anybody has any other solution, let me know.

Thanks!
I had the EL 10x42 and the eyecups of the NL 42 did fit. Not perfect, bit it fits. Swarovski will send you them for free (they did to me at least). You need a new rainguard as well, because the eyecups of the NL's are a bit wider.

I had the EL 10x42 and the eyecups of the NL 42 did fit. Not perfect, bit it fits. Swarovski will send you them for free (they did to me at least). You need a new rainguard as well, because the eyecups of the NL's are a bit wider.
Gotcha, and were you able to get better eye relief while wearing glasses with those NL eyecups?

Gotcha, and were you able to get better eye relief while wearing glasses with those NL eyecups?

I do not wear glasses. My problem was that the best eyecup position was between two positions. The NL eyecups have more positions. So yes, it was a improvement for me. But still, not a perfect fit. Hard to explain why.
Maybe somebody else can say if it will be an improvement regarding useable eye relief?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back