• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1st post advice on head and tripod for new Leica apo televid 77. (1 Viewer)

Paulro

I’ve recently bought a Leica apo televid 77 and my current tripod isn’t good enough to use so I’m looking for advice on what to look for.
I won’t be walking too far, maybe a couple of miles of flat walking at the very most and won’t be flying with them so packing size isn’t too important.
I will be using in hides.
I’m considering Gitzo 1720, 2180, 2720, Sirui VH10, VH5 but only through researching. I might be getting this wrong.
This is my first scope so I’d like to buy just once and buy good quality without going silly.
I’m reading about the need for solid tripods and I guess weight will be a factor but give me some suggestions and if I’m wrong in my thinking so far then be honest and point me in the right direction.
Thank you in advance.
Paul

I use an 80mm Svbony SV406P on a Sirui VA-5 video head atop a Sirui EN-2004 tripod. Pan/tilt are smooth, 1kg fixed counterbalance helps keep the scope in place. Views are stable at 20-60x, I have gone to 108x in the day before (160x at night), usable but a bit shaky.

I often carry the setup on birding walks that last about 3 hours. Usually I see birds every 5-10 minutes so I don't carry it for too long at a time. Scope and tripod+head all fit into a 50L backpack. I wear the backpack and cycle to my observing sites.

If you bought the new ‘scope from a shop and thought the staff were OK and professional with their advice, go back to the shop and ask them, maybe ?
They have an interest in creating a good working relationship with you, in the hope of future business.
The big bonus will be the chance to try before you buy.

Hi Paul,

I think the newer Gitzo GHF2W is a better alternative to those Gitzo heads you mentioned, but the supplied plate lacks an anti-rotation pin, so you would have to get the QR plate for the Swarovski CTH lookalike.
On the other hand, the Sirui VA-5 would probably be quite adequate and is reasonably priced.
If weight is not a big issue, a generously dimensioned 3-section aluminium tripod would more stable than a spindly carbon fibre tripod and a centre column is a convenience in hides.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back