• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

20 Questions (3 Viewers)

12 no. i wouldn't exclude this behaviour totally but it is highly unlikely and maybe only if the bird is very hungry. not at all usual though.

Last edited:
Reet, Falconidae, minus mammal-hunting kestrels and small, mainly insect-eating species . . .

14 Does it stoop at high speed on avian prey?

(to split out Polyborinae)

something seems to have been gone wrong with this quizz. where's the dead end? i thought with question 13 and nutcracker's correct conclusion in post 867 ('Falconidae, minus mammal-hunting kestrels and small, mainly insect-eating species . . .') there is a direct way towards the result. as for nut's geographical attempts - it was indeed hard to accept that meta-question about 'fear of attac' ;)

Last edited:
I found your (before editing) replies a bit obscure! And was also waiting to let someone else have a turn at posting. My "small, mainly insect-eating species" was also to count out the likes of Lesser Kestrel, Red-footed & Amur Falcons, and suchlike, as well as falconets.

But anyway, if high speed stoops are less usual . . . 15: Merlin?

hm, not sure how you count all those out.
but i get it, that 14. about stooping at high speed wasn't answered. stooping yes, but only occasional and short stoops, usual feeding habits are different!

Last edited:
reread post 866 and you'll find the mistake.
and maybe answer no. 5 mislead you too: i said yes. but in fact preys the size of a mouse are rare for this species.
am i wrong in thinking that if you ask me if they take prey the size of a mouse or bigger and they occasionally do, my answer would be yes?

Last edited:
I'll try 16: Aplomado Falcon

nope.
i think you suggested that the smaller, insect eating falcons don't have a tomial tooth? i was looking through some images and it's there. and this sp. would never stoop at a bird in the manner of an aplomado falcon! - since we have 4 Q. left o:)

nope.
i think you suggested that the smaller, insect eating falcons don't have a tomial tooth? i was looking through some images and it's there. and this sp. would never stoop at a bird in the manner of an aplomado falcon! - since we have 4 Q. left o:)

Nope, that the smaller, insect-eating falcons don't hunt vertebrates that are mouse-size or larger . . . not quite the same ;)

OK! Guess I misinterpreted Q.5 as "Does it mainly hunt prey bigger/or of the size of mice?" but it is really "Does it ever hunt prey bigger/or of the size of mice?"

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back