• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2015 UK Orchids (1 Viewer)

We have found up to 1 hundred Early Spider today by Durlston Down.

Attachments

• earlyspider_opt.jpg
    earlyspider_opt.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 112
  • earlyspider2_opt.jpg
    earlyspider2_opt.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 112
  • earlyspider3_opt.jpg
    earlyspider3_opt.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 83
We have found up to 1 hundred Early Spider today by Durlston Down.

Nice photos there. Your first photo shows a very yellow margin to the flower. Is that a common feature of the plants your saw or a one off? I thought UK ones were more like your other photos? (I'm yet to see this species in the UK)

Cheers
Ian

Nice photos there. Your first photo shows a very yellow margin to the flower. Is that a common feature of the plants your saw or a one off? I thought UK ones were more like your other photos? (I'm yet to see this species in the UK)

Cheers
Ian

Ian

as you can see, the plant in Ben's photo also shows a yellow border, albeit not as wide or bright as in Lorne's. I've just gone through my photos of ESO from Dorset and I reckon about half show this feature to a varying extent.

Rich M

Ian

as you can see, the plant in Ben's photo also shows a yellow border, albeit not as wide or bright as in Lorne's. I've just gone through my photos of ESO from Dorset and I reckon about half show this feature to a varying extent.

Rich M

Hi Rich
Thanks for the info. Yes I saw the other photo earlier on today (great shot Benjamin). It just reminded me of some Mediterranean Ophrys species which have yellow borders too e.g. Ophrys sphegodes ssp epirotica or ssp aesculapii + some of the other species too. Obviously our UK plants are not these subspecies but its certainly interesting that 50% of your pictures show this yellow border feature. I guess it would be classified as a minor variety.

Cheers
Ian

Early spider

Hi Rich
Thanks for the info. Yes I saw the other photo earlier on today (great shot Benjamin). It just reminded me of some Mediterranean Ophrys species which have yellow borders too e.g. Ophrys sphegodes ssp epirotica or ssp aesculapii + some of the other species too. Obviously our UK plants are not these subspecies but its certainly interesting that 50% of your pictures show this yellow border feature. I guess it would be classified as a minor variety.

Cheers
Ian

Having spent a glorious day on the Purbeck coast, where the early spiders are flowering in very large numbers, I would say that the yellow edge to the labellum is a fairly consistent feature but mainly visible as the flowers first open & becoming much less so as the labellum reflexes & the edges turn inwards.

Yes, I think most Early Spider have a yellow edge, but it is generally not seen as it folds under the lip and "disappears".

News on the Sawfly Orchid in Dorset is that it will not flower this year, although there are two blind rosettes next to each other now. I haven't been myself so cannot give the location.

Following my earlier comments about the origin of that plant, I would firstly like to correct myself, in that the observer is not pernicious!! I know that, now I know what the word means!!!

Secondly, as the Sawfly is of the Iberian form, there is some chance that the plant occurred as a result of windblown seed. The person who planted Ophrys in Dorset in the 1970's did not scatter seed of this species, apparently.

The site is being kept a closely guarded secret, so the plant is unlikely to be available to the masses, I'm afraid. Collectors do still exist, and this is a pretty plant, and also very rare, so is an obvious target.

If by any fluke someone does find out the location, PLEASE do not share on the open forum, and think carefully before you pass it on to anyone - and I include myself on that list!

This post is not the cue to a debate on site secrecy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sean

Aston Rowant

First time at Aston Rowant for me but looking online at blogs it appears to be a fair bit behind last season, as I could only find one fully flowering Early Purple on Bald Hill where normally hundreds would be out by now.

Attachments

• spring orchids aston rowant-500.jpg
    spring orchids aston rowant-500.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 80
Dorset

Early Spiders now at their peak at Dancing Ledge and surrounding cliffs with a few Green-winged including some albinos and a very attractive one with lilac-tipped sepals. Also a few Green-winged and Early Purples just beginning to flower at Durlston and Mupe Bay.

Anyone considering going to Durlston for Early Spiders - don't bother! Only a few hundred small ones there. Dancing Ledge has tens of thousands carpeting the slopes with the sea as a backdrop.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_6285.JPG
    IMG_6285.JPG
    360 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_6330.JPG
    IMG_6330.JPG
    195.1 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_6574.JPG
    IMG_6574.JPG
    493.1 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_6582.jpg
    IMG_6582.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Hi all, spent a while in durlston yesterday, eventually found some ESO not having been before and new to orchid forays I was quite pleased with myself and got some good shots! Durlston is a round trip of 150 miles for me and by the time I had got I was kn-------d. But chuffed.
Ps early purple out as well
Kind regards mike

Early Purple and Green-winged orchids starting to come through at this SSSI just a couple miles from the RSPB Conwy site

The Green-Winged at that site were more elusive than your Moschatel - I never did find them|:(|. Any news on Lincolnshire sites would be welcome.
Early Purples just starting to flower in Peak with plenty still to come.
Thanks,
Anne

Early Spiders now at their peak at Dancing Ledge and surrounding cliffs with a few Green-winged including some albinos and a very attractive one with lilac-tipped sepals. Also a few Green-winged and Early Purples just beginning to flower at Durlston and Mupe Bay.

Anyone considering going to Durlston for Early Spiders - don't bother! Only a few hundred small ones there. Dancing Ledge has tens of thousands carpeting the slopes with the sea as a backdrop.

Mike

I must plan ahead one year and get down there for these.

Hi all, 245 early purples at Brackenborough Roadside NR,and 58 spikes at Dixon Wood Lincolnshire.
Regards,
Mark & Sally

Last edited:
Despite lots of spring sun, the cool has meant a slow start for flowers, but Early purples now out in abundance in woods near Lewes and on the Downs at Holingbury Hill in Brighton. Fingers crossed for a visit over the next couple of days to Early Spiders at Castle Hill NNR which should just be starting.

On route home from the Hudwit we popped into the Bee x Fly site

A few plants look about 10 - 15 days away from looking decent but one plant already had 2 flowers open - superb for the end of April!

Regards

James

On route home from the Hudwit we popped into the Bee x Fly site

A few plants look about 10 - 15 days away from looking decent but one plant already had 2 flowers open - superb for the end of April!

Regards

James

There seems to be mixed messages about whether orchids are a bit later this year or earlier. This seems early to me, so are they catching up on lost time now?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back