• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

3 black birds, Cairns, Australia (1 Viewer)

Wiganlad

Taken from well-zoomed video footage in Cairns (Cattana Wetlands) last November 3rd, 3 different black birds. I think the first one is a Black Butcherbird and the second in pics 2 and 3 may be a Spangled Drongo. Not sure where bird 3 in pics 4 and 5 fits! Any help gratefully received as always.
black bird 3.jpgblack bird 1.jpgblack bird 2.jpgblack bird 5.jpgblack bird 4.jpg

Haven't ever been there (but will be in a few weeks, so I am looking at books).

From that uneducated perspective, 1-3 look right to me and the other one looks OK for Drongo, too (how diagnostic are those very evident bill-bristles?).

I think you are right in the first two birds. I lean Drongo also for the third among other things due to the bristles.
Niels

Don't know Oz birds, but the red eyes on black bodies points at drongo sp to me. 2+3 looks like they are the same bird, as are 4+5. Both have drongo features.
I can see Sickebill answered this already. Just tried to give reasons why.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back