• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

4 weeks tropical birding with the Zeiss SFL 8x30 (2 Viewers)

I apologize as well to the OP. And I apologize to middle River for my snarkiness.

It’s sad when we hear people losing or getting their equipment stolen, especially when it’s good and expensive equipment. Hopefully Dalat will get something from the insurance company.

Paul

I also invited this a bit with my theft story at the end of my binocular report, but of course it would be nicer to keep this on SFL, Costa Rica and birds. So some more of that ;)
Post #76: Another fine selection of pictures. I presume the butterfly is a Morpho. Cant't tell the size but one sees just enough of the blue upper side.
The Green Basilisk is particularly nice!

B
Post #76: Another fine selection of pictures. I presume the butterfly is a Morpho. Cant't tell the size but one sees just enough of the blue upper side
Yes, a Morpho, a large one. They always fold the wings when sitting, so I was happy with this one showing a little of its blue.

Just been reading this thread.

OP, Sorry to hear that your car was broken into and your bins stolen. Could happen anywhere, even at home.

The reason for having excellent binoculars is to use them to consistently achieve great views under tough conditions. Leaving them at home just in case they get stolen, negates the whole point of having them.

Inexpensive binoculars can give great views in favourable conditions, but can be worse than useless when the conditions are challenging (been there, done that). I would be quite disappointed to be standing half-way around the world in a gloomy, wet rainforest and not be able to see the very things I went there to see.

But, it sounds like you had a great wildlife experience with excellent sightings and photos. You still have your UVs and who knows, you may still get another pair of Zeiss one day.

My wife and I were in Costa Rica for a couple weeks in January 2020, just before the Covid thing kicked off. An amazing place with some fantastic wildlife. We also encountered warmth and friendliness throughout and did not feel threatened at anytime.

I really appreciate this thread, and as posted elsewhere had a similar experience (sans theft) on our recent 3 week vacation in Europe with the 8x30 SFL. A bin that manages to be just small and light enough to get brought along when larger heavier ones wouldn't be, and provides the excellent views of a full size alpha. I definitely prefer my 8x40 SFLs, but there's a lot of times I wouldn't bring it.

Yesterday I got the opportunity to try SFL 8x40. Supersharp, clear and bright. And 8x30 is very attractive with its more compact size.
Eye relief is usually the problem with 8x30/32 models. But I read that 8x30 is measured to have 17mm useful ER, while Conquest HD 8x32 has 14mm. If this difference is correct it means SFL 8x30 should work excellently with eyeglasses on. I really need to try SFL 8x30!

Yesterday I got the opportunity to try SFL 8x40. Supersharp, clear and bright. And 8x30 is very attractive with its more compact size.
Eye relief is usually the problem with 8x30/32 models. But I read that 8x30 is measured to have 17mm useful ER, while Conquest HD 8x32 has 14mm. If this difference is correct it means SFL 8x30 should work excellently with eyeglasses on. I really need to try SFL 8x30!
I wear specS (admittedly pretty minimalist wire-framed type) and the 30 has more than ample ER. In fact, it has almost too much and that means it's a little more demanding of eye-placement in order to avoid beans/blackouts. At first I would unscrew eye cups one 'click' but later I just learned to center my eyes and quit having issues.

Last edited:
Happy end (except for my wallet): I bought another 8x30. Weather is terrible, so no real outside use yet, but peaking out of the window, the new one is just as fine as my memories of the lost one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back