• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

6x32 MG Black (1 Viewer)

As an alternative, Hinode Optical has 5x15 (reverse porro), 5x21 (reverse porro) and 6x30 (normal porro) units that seem well built and highly regarded, at least in Japan. The 6x30 B+ in particular claims top-level multicoatings - the transmission graph reaches 95% (!). The 5x21 also comes in an ED version (A+) which is made/assembled in Japan (non-ED A5 is made/assembled in Korea).

They can be bought on Amazon Japan, Rakuten and the company's own site.

Their website (in Japanese, but readable via Google Translate) has many interesting articles, some advocating for 5-7x over 8-10x, others talk about the challenges of binocular manufacturing and QC.

It is indeed a pity no update is on the horizon.
After some considerable thought on an alternative (and a separate thread), I reckoned a Vortex Viper might be a good upgrade. But having recently tried an 8x32 VV, I found the size & weight so very different from my pocketable Opticron that I decided to wait.

It is indeed a pity no update is on the horizon.
After some considerable thought on an alternative (and a separate thread), I reckoned a Vortex Viper might be a good upgrade. But having recently tried an 8x32 VV, I found the size & weight so very different from my pocketable Opticron that I decided to wait.
More's the pity that you want to keep your Traveller Mg, as I'd happily take one off your (or anyone's) hands.

BTW, I also asked on the Opticron site "Contact us", and they gave the same response - no plan to produce again, due to costs.

The central hinge of my 6x32 arrived needing tightening and I'm guessing a screwdriver is required to fit in the central hole, see below:

20230930_085455.jpg20230930_085541.jpg

After two years of use it's about time I did something.

Is a screwdriver turning that (invisibly deep set) screw all that's needed?

Will all Opticron dealers be able do this adjustment? I would call in advance of course.

Could I easily do this, and if so which screwdriver (size, head type) should I buy?

Andy

Unfortunately it's a slightly more complicated process than just removing that cover and using a screwdriver! The adjustment is done via the focus wheel as per the attached PDF.

If you need assistance, please feel free to call our service department - 01582 726522, option 1.

Cheers, Pete

Attachments

• Tighten hinge on traveller.pdf
    414 KB · Views: 18
Unfortunately it's a slightly more complicated process than just removing that cover and using a screwdriver! The adjustment is done via the focus wheel as per the attached PDF.

If you need assistance, please feel free to call our service department - 01582 726522, option 1.

Cheers, Pete
Pete,
Very interesting reading, thank you for the information.

Cheers, Pete

Posts like this do a ton for Opticron’s reputation, just want to throw it out there. I at least have a really positive opinion :)

Binoculars returned from Opticron UK yesterday after a week or so, nice to have the hinge working properly.

For a change, I'd been messing about with my Inpro 9x63 in the garden; the difference was dramatic. I got our kitchen scales out:
The 6x32 traveller officially weigh 367g 🙂
and after refitting eye shades 399g

20231024_073333.jpg
20231024_072736.jpg
20231024_074852.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back