• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7x30 SLCs--field of view? (1 Viewer)

karmantra

Any one know the FOV for the discontinued Swarov 7x30 SLCs? I have noticed a number of 7x30s on Ebay lately and can't find any specs anywhere--I'm assuming that they have the same close focus of the 8x30s (13 ft.), but assume that the FOV on the 7x30 is wider than the 409 ft. on the 8x30s--any comments on its 'birdability'?

Last edited:
karmantra said:
Any one know the FOV for the discontinued Swarov 7x30 SLCs? I have noticed a number of 7x30s on Ebay lately and can't find any specs anywhere--I'm assuming that they have the same close focus of the 8x30s (13 ft.), but assume that the FOV on the 7x30 is wider than the 409 ft. on the 8x30s--any comments on its 'birdability'?

The Swaro 7x30 B has a FOV of 7.2 deg. or 378 ft./1000 yds. It has the same short focus as the 8x30 WB of 13.2 ft. The 8x30 WB (W=wide) has a FOV or 7.8 deg. or 410 ft./1000 yds.

I picked up a 7x30B at a gun show and was immediately struck with the smaller image and narrower field than my 8x30 WB. Although I did see someone on BF say they were a little gem due to excellent depth of field, my own impression was that they were a little too short of anything worthwhile. Note that Swaro doesn't make this configuration any more, so 7x30s may have collector value.

Elkcub

Last edited:
elkcub said:
The Swaro 7x30 B has a FOV of 7.2 deg. or 378 ft./1000 yds. It has the same short focus as the 8x30 WB of 13.2 ft. The 8x30 WB (W=wide) has a FOV or 7.8 deg. or 410 ft./100 yds.

I picked up a 7x30B at a gun show and was immediately struck with the smaller image and narrower field than my 8x30 WB. Although I did see someone on BF say they were a little gem due to excellent depth of field, my own impression was that they were a little too short of anything worthwhile. Note that Swaro doesn't make this configuration any more, so 7x30s may have collector value.

Elkcub
Elkclub: Thanks for the info--I thought the FOV would be wider on the 7x30, which would give it an advantage, but its narrower FOV is a big minus compared to the 8x30--I'll let others fight over the 7x30s on Ebay!

That disadvantage has kept one out of my hands. Hunters maybe don't care as much about or pay attention to field of view. I don't think Swaro had birders in mind when the 7x30 SLC was created. Sure it is a Swaro and a fantastic bin, but not for birding.

I really like my Swaro 7x30's and preferred the FOV to my Leica 8x32 BN's. Be careful about the 7x30's on ebay... some are definately refurbs but are not being listed as such.

Brad_A said:
I really like my Swaro 7x30's and preferred the FOV to my Leica 8x32 BN's. Be careful about the 7x30's on ebay... some are definately refurbs but are not being listed as such.

Hello Brad,I have an older Swarovski 7x30 SLC [early 80's]and it was just refurbed by Swarovski in 2003 and all it cost me was shipping.To me it looked like Swarovski just reused my old lens and sent me back "brand new" binoculars.I was very happy.I don't know if Swarovski is doing the refurb on the E-bay ones,but if so I for one would not be afraid to buy.
Regards,Steve BTW first post on here,been watching for a little while.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back