• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

883 or 66a? (1 Viewer)

Yippeekiay

Hi All,
Very excited to be getting a new spotter and more so that Kowa has updated their Prominar line. Looking at the pricing I could get either the new 66a or the older 883. I realize it'll come down to personal choice and I likely can't go wrong with either but I'd still like some well informed input.
For instance. Is the 66's improved color rendering so much better as to outweigh the light gathering ability of the 883? I'm really focusing more on optical performance than physical attributes like weight and size.
Any and all opinions welcome.
Thanks

If light gathering or weight are not an issue, as there's so much sample quality variation with Kowa, I'd say the best would be to compare the two in a shop, and get the Best one.

N=3 is quite small. And the S&S Archery version is the only decent one I've seen.

Have not seen any retail customer reviews anywhere.

Not an urban myth at all and while Kowa may be a bit below average among the expensive scopes, it's not the only one. All spotting scopes, no matter the brand or price, need to be treated as potential lemons or more likely mediocre units.

IMHO you should not be deterred of buying a KOWA scope by these fruiterers here on this forum. ;-)
When you buy ANY scope from ANY manufacturer you should check its quality carefully. There are indeed plenty of pretty mediocre specimens about, and quite a few lemons. And nobody wants to pay an exorbitant amount of money for a mediocre scope or indeed a lemon. And yes, Kowa is not immune from that.

Hermann

I have reviewed the 66A and I own the 883 since 2009. Although I consider my 883 as a real cherry, the 66A I reviewed came extremely close. But indeed make sure you have a species to your likings. I hope that you can translate the article:
Review Kowa TSN 66A

So, I chose the 66a sans eyepiece as I found a deal on one (TE-17w). I didn't order the scope til today so this not this weekend but next I'll be on the mountain spotting kettles and such. Will still go with bins but will have to spot from a little further away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back